CFZ McCarthy or Quinn in 2024? Is a NFCCG appearance enough to stay the course?

Under this scenario who is your head coach for 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Havic

Reaction score
Can’t just discredit Quinn like that. Doesn’t work that way
The fact of the matter is his head coaching experience is very limited. He got them to the Super Bowl and will be remembered during that tenure for the historic meltdown.

Quinn is a great dc but jury is still out as far as head coaching goes.

Big_D

Reaction score
I like McCarthy, I think he is a good head coach and quite frankly I don’t understand all the hate he gets.

I also love Quinn as a defensive coordinator but nothing about his tenure as head coach in Atlanta made me believe he is a better head coach than Mike.

It's the 30 years of Jerry, so unfortunately McCarthy gets clumped in with that even though this team looks very good right now.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I guess the people have spoken. You have retained Mike McCarthy.

Dan Quinn has now taken the head coaching job in Washington. McCarthy reacted quickly by bringing back Mike Nolan. Micah Parsons, out of loyalty for Quinn, has asked to be traded.

Good call, guys.

JBS

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is his head coaching experience is very limited. He got them to the Super Bowl and will be remembered during that tenure for the historic meltdown.

Quinn is a great dc but jury is still out as far as head coaching goes.
Yes. This is a fair argument. But you can’t just discredit his Super Bowl appearance. I agree w you and stated it in my post earlier in this thread, I’m not sure he’s an upgrade over MM as head coach.

Techsass

Reaction score
I wasn't excited when they picked McCarthy, but he's changed my mind. The whole culture of the team has changed for the better since he's been here. Plus we don't fall apart when a starter is out anymore.

Forneymike

Reaction score
I think the Chargers fired their HC after getting to the conference championship game. I don't remember the name. Maybe not 3 seasons of double digit wins but that Charger's HC had been doing well.

I can see a scenario in which the team always makes it to the conference championship and loses for several consecutive years and the HC is fired.

But in the case of MM, getting to the NFCCG would be an improvement over the past 4-5 Dallas head coaches. There is no way he can be fired under this scenario. You have to give him another year at least even if that means Quinn will leave (and I am a big fan of Quinn).
Marty Schottenheimer father of current OC Brian Schottenheimer

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Remember McCarthy’s phone wasn’t ringing off the wall. He sat out an entire year before we came a calling .

With exception of Jimmy in Jethro Jone$ era no Cowboys HC has rebounded with exception of Gailey who spent about 10 years at G Tech before another shot at Buffalo .

If he can get Cowboys back to a championship game then his value could be significantly increased around the league overcoming most dysfunctional organization and owner. And he might want to go to a more normal situation .

And Quinn could practically choose whatever HC opening he wanted as well. I think there’s a scenario where we could lose both of them.

Praxit

Reaction score
....the way I see it. If we get to NFCCG, win or lose. Everyone stays put.

Fall short again, then expect changes. Nothing major though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I sense this season could be one of those injury riddled seasons with some stars out at least for some meaningful time including Prescott , Tyron, Martin, Parsons.

We could struggle getting back to playoffs with another disappointing ending. And we lose both MM and Quinn.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This will be his 4th year.

KMoore is gone, so the offensive failures will be all his.

Jerry can fire him without much financial pain.

Time to win.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think they have Quinn as the replacement-in-waiting, but I’m not sold.

Guess like Wade and Norv were great coordinators but not HCs. I view Quinn as slightly better as a HC, but he wouldn’t be able to focus as much on the D which is his specialty.

That said, I think McCarthy is the Dak of HCs, middle of the pack or a tad higher. But at least he’s better than most of JJs hires like JG, Wade, Campo, Gailey. Switzer tends to get a pass because he inherited a SB team and they won another before imploding.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is going to get the Doc Rivers treatment after this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys reach the NFC title game, regardless the result McCarthy will be back. To do something the Cowboys haven’t done in 28 years would definitely be a step in the right direction. I can’t recall any team firing their head coach after reaching a conference title game.

GINeric

Reaction score
I'd pick MM. People forget that this man did lead his team to a Superbowl victory.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dan Quinn is a better DC than an HC. It’s been proven. Besides the Cowboys haven’t done well promoting a coordinator to HC. They failed with Dave Campo and Jason Garrett. There’s no point repeating the same mistake over and over.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jason Garrett has spent years crafting his coaching skills and is ready for another decade. LFG
Nobody can deny the success of not only Garrett post Cowboys, but also of his coaching tree. Talk about dominant... they may as not even play the games any more.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Assuming we don't have a complete collapse this year, I think next year will have the same coaching staff as this year.

Motorola

Reaction score
NFC Championship appearance probably gets McCarthy another decade.
Don't see coaching that long. Turns 60 in November.
Five seasons max (including 2023) or a 2nd NFL title - whichever one happens first - he retires.