CFZ McCarthy or Quinn in 2024? Is a NFCCG appearance enough to stay the course?

Under this scenario who is your head coach for 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soth

Reaction score
The only time a HC was replaced when having double digit wins three seasons in a row was Dungy in TB.

If Booger were to fire McC, he would also be firing his OC.

If he made it to the NFCCG, how can any owner fire him?

If an owner fires him, the obvious choice to replace him is the HC that beat him in the NFCCG because if this is all about the HC, there is only one better than him in the conference.
I think the Chargers fired their HC after getting to the conference championship game. I don't remember the name. Maybe not 3 seasons of double digit wins but that Charger's HC had been doing well.

I can see a scenario in which the team always makes it to the conference championship and loses for several consecutive years and the HC is fired.

But in the case of MM, getting to the NFCCG would be an improvement over the past 4-5 Dallas head coaches. There is no way he can be fired under this scenario. You have to give him another year at least even if that means Quinn will leave (and I am a big fan of Quinn).

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the Chargers fired their HC after getting to the conference championship game. I don't remember the name. Maybe not 3 seasons of double digit wins but that Charger's HC had been doing well.

I can see a scenario in which the team always makes it to the conference championship and loses for several consecutive years and the HC is fired.

But in the case of MM, getting to the NFCCG would be an improvement over the past 4-5 Dallas head coaches. There is no way he can be fired under this scenario. You have to give him another year at least even if that means Quinn will leave (and I am a big fan of Quinn).
Yeah...it was M. Shottenheimer who took the Chargers to consecutive playoffs...one season, they went 14-2, and I believe, lost in the playoffs...that is when Marty was fired.

JBS

Reaction score
You cannot fire MM if he makes it to the nfc champ game. Period. And I’m not a MM guy.

Side note. Not sure what kind of upgrade you get from going from MM to DQ as HC. Quinn is a proven stud at DC. Not sure the same is true as HC

with that said , if MM doesn’t go to the nfc champ game, it’s probably time to let him go. But who is an upgrade ?

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think coach Mac could miss the playoffs and still retain his job. He hasn’t even been close to being on shaky ground. Jerry huffs and puffs about coaching after the seasons end to give the fans some tlc, and the media some juicy speculation. Coach has a few more non-NFCCG seasons to go.

JBS

Reaction score
I think coach Mac could miss the playoffs and still retain his job. He hasn’t even been close to being on shaky ground. Jerry huffs and puffs about coaching after the seasons end to give the fans some tlc, and the media some juicy speculation. Coach has a few more non-NFCCG seasons to go.
No way he has a few more seasons to go

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
If we get to the NFCCG (no matter if we are 12-5,11-6, 10-7, 9-8) it means we beat out the next best to get there so our record really doesn't matter.

That said, if we get to the NFCCG, I think Mike stays. As he should... If we don't make the playoffs, then, make Quinn the HC....

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
This team hasn't done enough to move past the 49-ers. Not unless the 49-ers have a major injury bug decimate their team. Same with the Eagles.
If we park the Eagles match up for a moment and just look at the 49ers, we possibly have improved/ caught them / moved by them in roster talent.

I think I'm right in saying they didn't have a 1st or 2nd in the draft so if we get "something" from our picks in 1 and 2, thats advantage Dallas.

I would also argue our FA additions are better than theirs.

I guess we will see game 5 but I'm cautiously optimistic right now that we've progressed above them.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
I think MM is on a bit of a hot seat. Jerry Jones has made it clear that he is not easy with failing to have more success in the post season. He made "coaching change" comments a couple of times during the playoffs in 2022. Steven had to make comments supporting MM back then . He made the joking comment about the "problem being coaching" at the presser a few days ago. Jones let his boy Moore go and gave the offense/play calling duties over to MM. Big Mike is in charge and has been given everything he could possibly want. And he has an owner that wants playoff victories. If the owner is unhappy with the way the season went he cannot fire all the players but he can fire the HC. That happens all the time. Yep the pressure is on Mike.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM is toast after this season along with some other big names.
Hello HC Quinn....

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
MM is toast after this season along with some other big names.
Hello HC Quinn....
I get the feeling that Quinn just may not want to be a HC again unless the right job falls squarely in his lap. And the Dallas Cowboys job just may not be the "right" job due to the owner/GM. I think Quinn would have taken the Denver job for the 2022 season if it was offered. He probably is thanking his lucky stars now that he did not get it. For this coming season he was mentioned often as a HC candidate but he shut that talk down quickly and said he was staying in Dallas as DC. I think Quinn enjoys coaching defense, making big bucks and letting someone else endure the head coaching headaches. It is not a slam dunk that Quinn would be the next Cowboy HC.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm surprised by the voting. I thought for sure you fat shamers would want to scapegoat the Head Coach.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This isn't a prediction thread. Just a what if scenario.

What if the 2023 Cowboys were basically the same team of the last couple of years offensively and defensively but finally make it back to the NFC Championship Game before looking exactly like they've looked the last two playoff defeats. So a 12 wins or so season, two good playoff games and then getting shut down in the NFCCG.

That's the season you just experienced. Its not a prediction. It's a please play along that that's what just happened.

So here's the question. You make the call. Do you want McCarthy back and maybe with a contract extension? (2024 is the last year on his deal) Or would you want to hand the team to Dan Quinn instead in the offseason? An offseason where he might end up on another team if you don't.

You've made the next step. You finally got over the hump and got back to the NFCCG. But you looked a little overmatched when you got there.

Are you on Team Fat or Team Skinny?

What do you do?

Cowboys! either way.

Well, I could not make a selection...but we all know we have a coach, a real coach, the other two guys? Either one won't make a difference.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How bad can it be when he made a Super Bowl with one of the worst franchises in the league?
That Atlanta team was very good. Should have won that SB if not for some mind boggling coaching decisions. Straight into the abyss after that. He did not do a good job there.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I like McCarthy, I think he is a good head coach and quite frankly I don’t understand all the hate he gets.

I also love Quinn as a defensive coordinator but nothing about his tenure as head coach in Atlanta made me believe he is a better head coach than Mike.