McCarthy Philosophy on Defensive Line

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

McCarthy saying the team is going to score points makes me think his focus this offseason will continue to be on defense. Considering we've added three players to the defensive line, I won't be surprised if our first two draft picks are secondary players. We could continue to go DL depending on who's available, though, to try to get as deep as he wants us there.

I just don't see information like this showing he has any concerns about the offense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
4 Inside Players and 6 Pass Rushers

Inside Players-McCoy, Poe, Crawford, Hill, Woods*.
Could use another impact interior defensive lineman.

Edge-Lawrence, A. Smith*, Gregory*, Armstrong, and a few 2nd yr green prospects
Probably need another 2 on the edge.

We could very well see a prospect somewhere in the first two days of the draft, along with another one on the final day. If I remember correctly, the team's combine interview list was loaded with day 3 edge rushers.

cowboyec

Reaction score
didn't he make this statement at the combine during his interview time with the press?
i'd dig those up and you might find the quote you're looking for.

im excited about this new staff and potential changes in philosophy...i think the McCoy and Poe signings are a good sign.
Clinton-Dix also...they finally acknowledged these positions exist and need fix'n.
hopefully we have a full training camp so they can fix it.

Mr_437

Reaction score
4 Inside Players and 6 Pass Rushers

Inside Players-McCoy, Poe, Crawford, Hill, Woods*.
Could use another impact interior defensive lineman.

Edge-Lawrence, A. Smith*, Gregory*, Armstrong, and a few 2nd yr green prospects
Probably need another 2 on the edge.

We could very well see a prospect somewhere in the first two days of the draft, along with another one on the final day. If I remember correctly, the team's combine interview list was loaded with day 3 edge rushers.
I'm thinking the same thing. That interview list was loaded with DL, so I expect one interior n one edge drafted, at least.

Interested to what type edge guys they go after in the draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m admittedly far less knowledgeable about the kind of defensive philosophy Mike Nolan and the defensive coaches will bring. But I sure hope the team finally begins to value the interior defensive linemen more. The Poe and McCoy signings may point that direction.

Despite the new FA additions, I would still like to see this team add some talent from the draft at either edge rush or DT.

Maybe two of the first four picks each year, should go to offensive and defensive lines?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I love McCarthy bringing in McCoy. He and Sean Lee will be vocal during practice, and that will show each and every day. No one will be able to say that at least they didn't practice hard and were ready.

That level of aggressive accountability is the old school, previously missing under Garrett. 'Lamp on...lamp off.'

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was looking for a quote I read about McCarthy wanting 8 or 9 DL who can rush the passer, does anyone have that exact quote?

He has also said he integrates the DL with coverage schemes, with is probably A) his philosophy and B) an admission that last year's defense was not sync'ed between the DL rush schemes and the secondary coverage schemes.

With the addition of Smith (and likely more draft picks) it looks like they will go away from the Marinelli/Richard scheme of the DL stunting a lot of with players rotating. That while Richard was playing the DBs to avoid big plays.

With McCoy and Poe, doesn't it seem like the DL will play more straight up with the secondary taking more chances? The secondary isn't set but even without a draft pick the DL looks like McCarthy has his 8/9 rushing DL:

LDE: DLaw, Crawford, Jackson/Jelks
DT: McCoy, Hill, Crawford
DT: Poe, Woods
RDE: Smith, Gregory, Dorance Armstrong

Kris Richard abandoned the bend don't break concept in 2019 with regards to coverage because he was grasping at straws to solve the run defense problems.

The co-defensive coordinator concept of Marinelli and Richard was a disaster.

The core problem with Marinelli's scheme was that he never adjusted to defending the run against Zone Blocking. The Rams Zone run scheme is what crushed the Cowboys in the playoff game. The Colts in 2018 had also blown up the Cowboys using a heavy Zone running scheme. In 2019 many teams copied the Rams/Colts when playing the Cowboys. The Cowboys did stunt less in 2019 but Marinelli just couldn't resist his urge for DL to jump the gaps and "play the run on the way to the QB". Kris Richard couldn't force Marinelli to change the DL; therefore, Richard started changing the back 7 scheme/assignments but that often cause confusion and missed assignments ultimately making things worse and it put coverage players like Awuzie into a no-win situation because he often had no help low or high and was still expected to play strong against the run.

They used Jaylon more as a pass rusher in 2019; although that was most often from the inside. They often played a 3 man DL with Jaylon replacing the missing DL and another LB replacing Jaylon normal LB duties.

Jaylon played at a significantly higher weight in 2019. He looked bigger than Quinn in a photo of Jaylon, Quinn and DLaw in street clothes. I assume the weight gain was in part because they wanted to use him often in that hybrid DL/LB role which was more LB/DT than LB/DE. It was one of the better coaching ideas that I saw from the Cowboys defense in 2019. Belichick was routinely doing it in his 2019 scheme.

Speaking of Belichick, his 2019 defense was what I would call the Big LB defensive scheme. The scheme was focused on having a large number of big LBs. All but 1 LB that played significant snaps were over 250. They played a 3-4 on 1st downs after playing 4-3 on 1st downs in 2018. On 2nd and 3rd downs they would mix it up often having 1 DL and 6 LBs. On 2nd downs they often used 2 DL and 5 LBs but that varied based on down/distance and could be anything from a 3-4, 4-3, 2 DL, 5 LBs, 1 DL, 6 LBs, etc.

The Cowboys have big LBs if Vander Esch returns and Randy Gregory was projected to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Aldon Smith was a 3-4 OLB with the 49ers. He was listed as an OLB with the Raiders and I recall the Raiders played 3-4 at least part of the time he was there.

Reviewing DC Nolan's past defenses, he often played a hybrid 4-3/3-4. It often looked like a 4-3 but with 1 DE standing up as a DE/LB hybrid. It's difficult to run a true 3-4 anymore. It's good on 1st and 10 with 3 big DL between the outside shoulders of the OTs vs 2 DL in that space with a 4-3; however, on passing downs 3 WR sets have become the most used offensive formation and that usually brings the Nickel CB into the game in place of a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 SLB. The 3-4 teams then tend to go to a 4 man DL. With the 4-3 alignment but 1 DE standing up it gives the flexibility to use some 3-4 even with the Nickel CB in the game.

Regardless of scheme, it comes back to execution by the players. The real brilliance with Belichick is that he gets players to execute a defensive scheme that appears more complicated than others but yet they don't make many mistakes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Kris Richard abandoned the bend don't break concept in 2019 with regards to coverage because he was grasping at straws to solve the run defense problems.

The core problem with Marinelli's scheme was that he never adjusted to defending the run against Zone Blocking. The Rams Zone run scheme is what crushed the Cowboys in the playoff game. The Colts in 2018 had also blown up the Cowboys using a heavy Zone running scheme. In 2019 many teams copied the Rams/Colts when playing the Cowboys. The Cowboys did stunt less in 2019 but Marinelli just couldn't resist his urge for DL to jump the gaps and "play the run on the way to the QB". Kris Richard couldn't force Marinelli to change the DL; therefore, Richard started changing the back 7 scheme/assignments but that often cause confusion and missed assignments ultimately making things worse and it put coverage players like Awuzie into a no-win situation because he often had no help low or high and was still expected to play strong against the run.

They used Jaylon more as a pass rusher in 2019; although that was most often from the inside. They often played a 3 man DL with Jaylon replacing the missing DL and another LB replacing Jaylon normal LB duties.

Jaylon played at a significantly higher weight in 2019. He looked bigger than Quinn in a photo of Jaylon, Quinn and DLaw in street clothes. I assume the weight gain was in part because they wanted to use him often in that hybrid DL/LB role which was more LB/DT than LB/DE. It was one of the better coaching ideas that I saw from the Cowboys defense in 2019. Belichick was routinely doing it in his 2019 scheme.

Speaking of Belichick, his 2019 defense was what I would call the Big LB defensive scheme. The scheme was focused on having a large number of big LBs. All but 1 LB that played significant snaps were over 250. They played a 3-4 on 1st downs after playing 4-3 on 1st downs in 2018. On 2nd and 3rd downs they would mix it up often having 1 DL and 6 LBs. On 2nd downs they often used 2 DL and 5 LBs but that varied based on down/distance and could be anything from a 3-4, 4-3, 2 DL, 5 LBs, 1 DL, 6 LBs, etc.

The Cowboys have big LBs if Vander Esch returns and Randy Gregory was projected to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Aldon Smith was a 3-4 OLB with the 49ers. He was listed as an OLB with the Raiders and I recall the Raiders played 3-4 at least part of the time he was there.

Reviewing DC Nolan's past defenses, he often played a hybrid 4-3/3-4. It often looked like a 4-3 but with 1 DE standing up as a DE/LB hybrid. It's difficult to run a true 3-4 anymore. It's good on 1st and 10 with 3 big DL between the outside shoulders of the OTs vs 2 DL in that space with a 4-3; however, on passing downs 3 WR sets have become the most used offensive formation and that usually brings the Nickel CB into the game in place of a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 SLB. The 3-4 teams then tend to go to a 4 man DL. With the 4-3 alignment but 1 DE standing up it gives the flexibility to use some 3-4 even with the Nickel CB in the game.

Regardless of scheme, it comes back to execution by the players. The real brilliance with Belichick is that he gets players to execute a defensive scheme that appears more complicated than others but yet they don't make many mistakes.

You cant coach up a guy like Heath he just is what he is. A guy like that simply cant execute half the time because he lacks the skillset and the talent.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Speaking of Belichick, his 2019 defense was what I would call the Big LB defensive scheme. The scheme was focused on having a large number of big LBs. All but 1 LB that played significant snaps were over 250. They played a 3-4 on 1st downs after playing 4-3 on 1st downs in 2018. On 2nd and 3rd downs they would mix it up often having 1 DL and 6 LBs. On 2nd downs they often used 2 DL and 5 LBs but that varied based on down/distance and could be anything from a 3-4, 4-3, 2 DL, 5 LBs, 1 DL, 6 LBs, etc..

Awesome, this is exactly the information I was looking for when I posted the thread.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Good post!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awesome, this is exactly the information I was looking for when I posted the thread.

Zone Run Blocking

I'm surprised it does not get more media coverage.

Rams 2018: Key to making it to the Super Bowl. Zone Running Scheme. They had their own specific ZBS.

49ers 2019: Key to making it to the Super Bowl: Zone Running Scheme. They had their own specific ZBS that was much different than the Rams version.

Packers resurgence in 2019: ZBS

VIkings Offensive Success in 2019: ZBS

Cowboys biggest problem on defense in 2019 and the 2018 season playoff game vs the Rams: ZBS

Cowboys best OL performances the past decade: The years they were most successful with the ZBS.

Bill Callahan came to Dallas in 2012 and was a master of the ZBS but used both Zone and Man blocking. The highlight was the 2014 season with DeMarco Murray.

Callahan departed after 2014 but his assistant became the new OL coach and they continued to be a strong ZBS offense in 2016 when the overachieved expectations.

In 2018 Columbo became the OL coach before mid season after Paul Alexander was fired. Columbo was also the OL coach in 2019. He played in a man block scheme during his playing career. They Cowboys struggled to consistently block on zone runs and ended up run more man. They manged in 2019 because they have multiple talent OLinemen, but the advantage they had when they were really clicking with Zone blocking in 2014 and 2016 was gone. Zeke had his lowest Yards/Game for a season in his career.

Back when Marinelli was making his name in the NFL, very few teams were using zone blocking and only 1 had great success with it. Even against man blocking his scheme required really good LBs to make up for when his DL scheme was out of place against the run. Against the ZBS the problem was amplified and the problems peaked in the playoff loss to the Rams. It appeared that the Rams tweaked their blocking scheme specific to exploiting the Cowboys tendencies and it would not have mattered if the Cowboys had better players because the Rams blocking scheme put the Cowboys defenders into no win situations. The Rams knew exactly how the Cowboys DL would defend plays and they focused their blocking scheme on the LBs. Even when the Cowboys DL executed their assignments, the LBs were still in no win situations because the Rams were able to box out the LBs laterally. The RB would read the reactions of the LBs and the 1tech DT and would either continue to the outside or cut back inside based his read. Physically the Rams blockers just had to get in the way and the LBs were boxed inside when the run was outside and boxed outside when the run was inside. The OL that kicked out to block the LBs looked more like pass blocker than run blockers because instead of running downfield trying to clear space for the RB, the space was already cleared and they just needed to keep the LBs from getting back into that space.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Specific to the 2019 49ers and their ZBS.

Their Head Coach is Kyle Shannahan. His father as Head Coach of the Broncos in the late nineties and his OL coach Alex Gibbs were the first NFL to completely commit to the ZBS. There was 1 other OL coach that had implemented it but his teams didn't really focus on acquiring players specific to his scheme. In Denver Shannahan as the HC was fully committed to the ZBS and his OL coach was the guru of implementing it.

The 49ers ZBS with HC Kyle Shannahan was much different than the Rams.

The Rams used a 3 WR alignment more than any other team. The only other alignment they used for any significant snaps was a 2 TE alignment but their 2nd TE looked like a big WR more than a tradition 2nd TE that is usually just a blocker.

The 49ers used a FB more than other teams. I know they were #1 in 2018 with regards to snaps with a FB and either #1 or close to #1 in 2019.

Traditionally ZBS teams often didn't even carry a FB on the roster but K.Shannahan found a way to run a ZBS with a FB. One of their key plays was to run outside on a play that was designed to force the outside contain defender to commit either inside or outside of the FB and the RB would just go to the side of the FB opposite of that defender.

The 49ers QB complete 6 total passes in the NFL Championship win and only 11 in the divisional game. He had a total of 1 passing TD in those 2 games combined. Their run game dominated.

The 49ers running game with their unique version of Zone running plays allowed them to overachieve their overall team talent. Their limited talent eventually caught up to them in the Super Bowl but they might not have even made the playoff if their passing game had to carry them for the season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Excellent post! Since we have several big linebackers, we should be able to use Nolan's Hybrid Scheme effectively. In your opinion, what is needed more another stand-up DE/OLB or more of an interior, pass rushing down lineman?