Twitter: McCarthy talks Mazi Smith development

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s just another one of those what else is he supposed to say comments. Go back and look at some of the glowing remarks he made about Jaylon Smith and a few other players they released. We’re going to find out a lot more about Mazi while Hankins is out. With more snaps he’s going to have to do more.

rambo2

Reaction score
I wonder if Mazi has a vision problem. He might need contacts.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone wants to write Mazi's career off 13 games in. Everyone knew he would need time. He admitted the coaches at Michigan never even taught him pass rush technique since he was a asked to just be a run stuffer. And he wasn't getting a ton of playing time behind veterans until now.

I know he was a first round pick, but it's not realistic to expect Chris Jones coming out of the gate. Most DT's need a year or two to flourish.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I wonder if Mazi has a vision problem. He might need contacts.
He's got to improve his reaction time off the snap. That's such a fundamental flaw for line play. Maybe it has improved some, but it's still noticeable without even watching the game film.

I think we'll learn more about his NFL potential in Year 2.

quickccc

Reaction score
He's got to improve his reaction time off the snap. That's such a fundamental flaw for line play. Maybe it has improved some, but it's still noticeable without even watching the game film.

I think we'll learn more about his NFL potential in Year 2.
He does have to improve his off the ball snap reaction.
How much of it is technical issue, how much of it is an instinct issue ?

You wouldn't think one of his athleticism for one of his immense size , would continue to have such a problem.
But he does have the physical tools, should he overcome those reaction issues, his combination of
bull strength and movement skills could potentially make him dominant. Snack Harrison like.

Maybe he will not be complete in his rookie year, and maybe much will take on more so
with an offseason program and more camps. But I'd like to see some occasional displays of his ability.

Bohanna had terrific feet and movement but he never made plays. Tackles for loss, penetration in the backfield.
Stuffing the initial hole in the middle to force plays outside.
Win rates.

Like Big Mac said the NT is not a stats- position you won't see a bunch of tackles and sacks. But you want to see
the success double team win rate, you want to see that the middle action is stopped at the point, or in the backfield.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

You wouldn't think one of his athleticism for one of his immense size , would continue to have such a problem.
But he does have the physical tools, should he overcome those reaction issues, his combination of
bull strength and movement skills could potentially make him dominant. Snack Harrison like.

Maybe he will not be complete in his rookie year, and maybe much will take on more so
with an offseason program and more camps. But I'd like to see some occasional displays of his ability.

Bohanna had terrific feet and movement but he never made plays. Tackles for loss, penetration in the backfield.
Win rates.

Like Big Mac said the NT is not a stats- position you won't see a bunch of tackles and sacks. But you want to see
the success double team win rate, you want to see that the middle action is stopped at the point, or in the backfield.
He's fighting an uphill battle being slow off the snap. I would think the bulk of his improvement in the future would start there. I wont begin to try to explain why he has that problem but his overall athleticism would make you think this should not be a problem. This isn't a Flozell Adams situation since he's literally inches away from the ball being snapped. Anyway, we'll have a much better read on him as a player next season. He's probably just trying to survive while contributing.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He's too slow off the snap. Not sure if that can be coached up. He may simply not have the athletic talent for it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He’s just got to get mean this is like the movie blindside, someone’s gonna piss him off and then watch out

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's too slow off the snap. Not sure if that can be coached up. He may simply not have the athletic talent for it.
I don’t think he’s motivated. I think he’s slow because he doesn’t give a crap. He’s even said it. Somebody just needs to light a fire under him piss him off.

Plankton

Reaction score

Win rates.

I think it's a technique issue as much as anything else. He's in a four point stance quite a bit, and I think he puts too much of his weight toward his rear end, and not over his hands. That alone is going to slow your takeoff. I also think he needs to do a better job of watching the ball and timing his explosion off of the center's hand movement. While I don't think that he will ever be Aaron Donald like off the snap, he can certainly go toward being at least average at it, which would be a huge improvement over what he is doing currently.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Actually, MM has been honest. He's right. Mazi is getting there. It takes time and if Mike says he's where he should be, then I am fine with it. He said the same when asked about Ferguson last year and he's been proven right. The guy can coach and develop. We can't deny that any longer. He coached circles around Sirianni the other night. He just did. If I were a Eagle fan, I'd be concerned right now.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
People keep making comparisons to other 3Ts. Mazi is not that. Osa is a 3T. Mazi would ideally be a better Hankins in a year or two, a 1T that clogs up the middle so his LBs are clean with maaayybe a sack or 2 on the season. He is and never was supposed to be a sack machine.