Twitter: McCarthy talks Mazi Smith development

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Mazi, not all first-picks round
come in like gangbusters.

I'm looing forward to his development.
If he develops into Hankins.. Was it worth a first rounder?

The answer is no.

Awful pick.

You don’t take this type of player with a premium draft pick.

This draft class is looking awful.

Overshown is probably going to be our best guy and he is out for the season.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Very anxious to see Maxi next summer. But high praise from McCarthy for sure.
Maxi Mazi? He’d better start showing promise. Next TC and PS or else he’s going to be deemed worse than Trysten Hill. There are many of us who are sick and tired of seeing us waste picks on abominably bad scUM players.

1942willys

Reaction score
It’s just another one of those what else is he supposed to say comments. Go back and look at some of the glowing remarks he made about Jaylon Smith and a few other players they released. We’re going to find out a lot more about Mazi while Hankins is out. With more snaps he’s going to have to do more.
Coach speak is not to be taken seriously
Its like Jerry after three shots

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
If he develops into Hankins.. Was it worth a first rounder?

The answer is no.

Awful pick.

You don’t take this type of player with a premium draft pick.

This draft class is looking awful.

Overshown is probably going to be our best guy and he is out for the season.
I have no idea how he will develop.

But as I mention, I’m willing to wait and see if he progresses, there are plenty of players from the 1st to 7rd picks
who developed later in their careers.

I see you have figured out this draft class, so more power to you. I’m not there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I have no idea how he will develop.

But as I mention, I’m willing to wait and see if he progresses, there are plenty of players from the 1st to 7rd picks
who developed later in their careers.

I see you have figured out this draft class, so more power to you. I’m not there.
It’s easy to project them because at their best what are they?

A run stuffing DT

A backup TE.

Overshown should be awesome.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Cowboy fans after Mazi selection: ‘About dang time we got a big ugly to plug in against the run Yawzzzz!!!11?’

Cowboy fans currently: ‘Wutszzz no sackzzz!!!?!!??’

Not a very pleasing crowd.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If Mazi is still struggling badly next year. Then I’ll worry about it.

By all reports he has a good attitude and is a hard worker. So I have no reason to believe he won’t get better.

One thing people forget about taco is. He was a mediocre athlete (nfl wise) and had a horrible attitude.

Mazi is a phenomenal athlete and had a good attitude.

Big difference.

mardwin

Reaction score
He's too slow off the snap. Not sure if that can be coached up. He may simply not have the athletic talent for it.
Let's blame the scouts who fell in love with him. When a player is explosive it jumps out that is something that is inherited not learned. Not the first miss from the University of Michigan.

fansince68

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone wants to write Mazi's career off 13 games in. Everyone knew he would need time. He admitted the coaches at Michigan never even taught him pass rush technique since he was a asked to just be a run stuffer. And he wasn't getting a ton of playing time behind veterans until now.

I know he was a first round pick, but it's not realistic to expect Chris Jones coming out of the gate. Most DT's need a year or two to flourish.
Good point. Problem is....Mazi is not good at run stopping either. He gets muscled and washed out too easily. Coming into the league, we witnessed his strength in the weight room and box jumps.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mr. Smith...a little trick. When you are double teamed, pick the weaker of the two and attack him. The second blocker will be screened from helping, naturally through that sudden change.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When football people say that the offseason from the first year to the second year is huge for development, especially for linemen, I believe them. If his issues (e.g. slow off the snap) can be fixed, it will happen through dedicated effort and coaching in the offseason. If they can’t, well then they won’t. But I don’t expect to see big changes until next season.