Twitter: McCarthy's cryptic message on Connor Williams

Trendnet

Reaction score
you dont see leading the entire NFL in penalties thrown, accepted penalties and penalty yards as a massive problem?

Take a stab and guess where Trevon Diggs lands in penalties and penalty yards given up vs other corners.

Then explain why Connor Williams is a "massive problem" and why you aren't screaming about Diggs?

blueblood70

Reaction score
What exactly is Conner horrible at? What is he doing wrong outside of the penalties?
hes not lol 72 snaps 3 bad plays,. clean up the penalties that it..they call him terrible and bet he gets 8+ mil a years and LTC to the team he goes to next and is their starter,,

if he was truly terrible he would be on the bench,..

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised everyone jumps on CW but Biadasz is probably the true weak link on this unit. Still like the guy, but he needs more time to develop. Not sure if people struggle to grade lineman outside of penalties and sack numbers, or if its just too tough to spell his name to complain about him.

That was 4 games ago, Biadasz has actually improved his pass blocking since early in season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
hes not lol 72 snaps 3 bad plays,. clean up the penalties that it..they call him terrible and bet he gets 8+ mil a years and LTC to the team he goes to next and is their starter,,

if he was truly terrible he would be on the bench,..
That's kind of the point i'm trying to get these guys to see. I know it looks bad and the penalties are.....but if he's out there 70 snaps and 3 bad plays come from it.....is that enough to sit on the bench?

EST_1986

Reaction score
A problem? Yes. But he's never been highly penalized like this and this comes across as more fluke than not. But then I ask are offensive linemen only gauged based on how many penalties they get?
were over halfway through the season and he's getting penalized consistently, its not a fluke, the guy sucks and needs to be replaced before he costs us more drives and potentially games. Do NOT settle for below average play just because were winning.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Take a stab and guess where Trevon Diggs lands in penalties and penalty yards given up vs other corners.

Then explain why Connor Williams is a "massive problem" and why you aren't screaming about Diggs?
#3 and he needs to clean it up and quickly. But the difference is Diggs makes up for it and nobody on the roster is better, we have better than Conner Williams

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That's kind of the point i'm trying to get these guys to see. I know it looks bad and the penalties are.....but if he's out there 70 snaps and 3 bad plays come from it.....is that enough to sit on the bench?

If it was only the three holding calls I might agree that he's fine.. But there is also the matter of his being pushed into Dak's lap 4-5 times a game and his 4-5 times a game whiffing on run blocks. That really starts to add up to more like 12-15 bad plays not just 2 or 3. You simply cannot allow that to continue.. it absolutely WILL cost this team at the worst possible time.

J_Allen

Reaction score
If it was only the three holding calls I might agree that he's fine.. But there is also the matter of his being pushed into Dak's lap 4-5 times a game and his 4-5 times a game whiffing on run blocks. That really starts to add up to more like 12-15 bad plays not just 2 or 3. You simply cannot allow that to continue.. it absolutely WILL cost this team at the worst possible time.

You can't debate anyone who thinks Connor Williams is above average.

CoachD

Reaction score
Read the writing on the wall people he's pretty much saying that the Cowboys will go in another direction at left guard.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ehh...that's extreme. Why hasn't Connor cost us a game yet? You want me to beleive that there was nearly 9 or 10 times that Connor cost this team on Sunday?
You can't debate anyone who thinks Connor Williams is above average.
Don't be "THAT" guy. Be better.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ehh...that's extreme. Why hasn't Connor cost us a game yet? You want me to beleive that there was nearly 9 or 10 times that Connor cost this team on Sunday?

Don't be "THAT" guy. Be better.

Simply put, his crap plays have not come against good enough teams.. Though I might remind you that it was his holding call against Tampa on the last drive that kept us from being able to milk the rest of the clock and kick the game winning FG with no time left. As for the ATL game.. I counted two complete 100% whiffs on run blocks in addition to his 3 penalties.. I would have to go back and watch again to see how he did on pass blocking but I'd be shocked if he didn't get beat a couple of times there as well. So maybe he only had 7 or 8 in that game.. That's still way too many..

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Simply put, his crap plays have not come against good enough teams.. Though I might remind you that it was his holding call against Tampa on the last drive that kept us from being able to milk the rest of the clock and kick the game winning FG with no time left. As for the ATL game.. I counted two complete 100% whiffs on run blocks in addition to his 3 penalties.. I would have to go back and watch again to see how he did on pass blocking but I'd be shocked if he didn't get beat a couple of times there as well. So maybe he only had 7 or 8 in that game.. That's still way too many..
All this talk is bull****. There’s nobody to plug-in his spot. It is what it is right now.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You are certainly not wrong, but we need to establish what average is for an NFL G. If we have 60 snaps and the G wins his matchup 50 times is that acceptable? average? awful? Good?

Certainly more goes into finding an answer, giving up a sack in 2 seconds is different than giving one up in 6, but as a general rule what is an appropriate win rate for an OL?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
All this talk is bull****. There’s nobody to plug-in his spot. It is what it is right now.

It would not bother me to see McGovern given a shot there but apparently the coaches don't like how he looks at left vs right.. But frankly if that's all it is put Martin and LG and plug McGovern at RG. McGovern was certainly at least as good at RG filling for Zack as Williams has been. Or when Tyron comes back slide Steele back to RT and put Collins in at LG. Just get the best 5 out there. Right now Williams is the weak link. Not that he sucks or anything.. He's decent.. but his missed blocks coupled with the penalties are a problem.. and we need to get it solved before the playoffs begin..

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It would not bother me to see McGovern given a shot there but apparently the coaches don't like how he looks at left vs right.. But frankly if that's all it is put Martin and LG and plug McGovern at RG. McGovern was certainly at least as good at RG filling for Zack as Williams has been. Or when Tyron comes back slide Steele back to RT and put Collins in at LG. Just get the best 5 out there. Right now Williams is the weak link. Not that he sucks or anything.. He's decent.. but his missed blocks coupled with the penalties are a problem.. and we need to get it solved before the playoffs begin..
It’s a good idea. But they’re not going to move Martin. Never going to happen