Twitter: McCarthy's cryptic message on Connor Williams

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How is Collins not an option for guard when he played there in the past?

They need to move Collin's back to left guard, Steele back to right tackle, Smith to left tackle. Whenever Smith gets hurt again you move Collins back out to right and you replace Smith with Steele.

Its been a few years. If they had any intentions of Collins playing guard he'd be there. They don't. Either he doesn't want to play guard or they don't want him there. It came down to putting Steele at left tackle or Collins and they went with Steele. This coaching staff doesn't seem to even want to try and put a square peg in a round hole. Collins is a right tackle and they seem to want him to start there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we will see if La'el is the RT once Tyron returns but it seemed like they were moving forward with Steele until Tyron went on his annual vacation. But a guy that played guard in the NFL (Collins) is clearly an option to play the position.

If Collins gets moved to guard that's fine because that means the believe he's the best option there. But I don't know how many years of Collins at right tackle will it take for you guys to realize that's where they want him lol.

And I thought the objective was to work Collins back in slow at right tackle. But even then....they still went with Conner at guard. All I can do is go by what they've shown us.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Just curious but do you think Biadiz and Fredericks are of the same caliber?
I'm actually surprised everyone jumps on CW but Biadasz is probably the true weak link on this unit. Still like the guy, but he needs more time to develop. Not sure if people struggle to grade lineman outside of penalties and sack numbers, or if its just too tough to spell his name to complain about him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can literally say that about every player on the roster. I guess some fans won't be happy unless they're all ALL Pro.
Like I just told another poster I sat here saying the same stuff about Anthony Brown and Lewis. I tried to tell people that maybe just maybe they are currently better than Joseph and they like what they see? But nah....fans believe they know it all. Its like they want all the best players on their team. A All Pro team. Conner needs to lower the penalties. For sure. But at the end of the day one penalty a game isn't killing you. Especially when its a holding penalty that can literally be called on every play. Now if he gets unseated because of play? That's a whole different discussion.

EST_1986

Reaction score
If Collins gets moved to guard that's fine because that means the believe he's the best option there. But I don't know how many years of Collins at right tackle will it take for you guys to realize that's where they want him lol.

And I thought the objective was to work Collins back in slow at right tackle. But even then....they still went with Conner at guard. All I can do is go by what they've shown us.
I'd prefer Collins at RT honestly, BUT if they stick with Steele at RT, they have to plug Collins in back at LG. Conner is horrible.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised everyone jumps on CW but Biadasz is probably the true weak link on this unit. Still like the guy, but he needs more time to develop. Not sure if people struggle to grade lineman outside of penalties and sack numbers, or if its just too tough to spell his name to complain about him.
I agree and its so funny man its the whole "narrative" thing. Connor stinks because the narrative on him is he's "weak and soft"(a outdated narrative btw) but Biadicz still has this narrative of coming from Wisconsin and being the next Fredericks...i'm the first to admit I have no idea how to gauge linemen. I can't see them on the telecast and if I watched the All 22 i'd probably still couldn't tell you how good or great a linemen is. But these couch scouts have no idea either. They just gauge it by when they hear a guys number called lol.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
He won’t be here next year. I’m fine benching him and trying something else

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree and its so funny man its the whole "narrative" thing. Connor stinks because the narrative on him is he's "weak and soft"(a outdated narrative btw) but Biadicz still has this narrative of coming from Wisconsin and being the next Fredericks...i'm the first to admit I have no idea how to gauge linemen. I can't see them on the telecast and if I watched the All 22 i'd probably still couldn't tell you how good or great a linemen is. But these couch scouts have no idea either. They just gauge it by when they hear a guys number called lol.
100%. I'm fully willing to admit CW has his shortcomings, but people want to just come down on the guy because they have this predetermined idea that he cant play since his rookie year. No one wants to give guys time to develop or see how they do in a new system...just look at Lewis/Brown as you've mentioned already.

Half this board was pounding the table for Joe Looney all offseason despite the fact he was horrible last year, and couldnt find a team that wanted him. With OL that you dont watch every play its all about perception with most people, not reality. I'd put CBs in that category too, as they only get seen on plays they get beat or interceptions. OL only get noticed when they allow a sack or give up a penalty.

Trendnet

Reaction score
100%. I'm fully willing to admit CW has his shortcomings, but people want to just come down on the guy because they have this predetermined idea that he cant play since his rookie year. No one wants to give guys time to develop or see how they do in a new system...just look at Lewis/Brown as you've mentioned already.

Half this board was pounding the table for Joe Looney all offseason despite the fact he was horrible last year, and couldnt find a team that wanted him. With OL that you dont watch every play its all about perception with most people, not reality. I'd put CBs in that category too, as they only get seen on plays they get beat or interceptions. OL only get noticed when they allow a sack or give up a penalty.

And if you pointed out that Trevon Diggs was the most penalized corner in the league, the same posters who scream at the their top of the lungs about Connor Williams needing to be benched are very quiet about Diggs.

It's surface level fans - they really don't understand what they are seeing.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Big personal decision for McCarthy; Missing out on Connor Williams breaking the NFL record for holding penalties and swallowing his hatred of all things McGovern solely for the betterment of the team.

EST_1986

Reaction score
What exactly is Conner horrible at? What is he doing wrong outside of the penalties?
you dont see leading the entire NFL in penalties thrown, accepted penalties and penalty yards as a massive problem?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
you dont see leading the entire NFL in penalties thrown, accepted penalties and penalty yards as a massive problem?
A problem? Yes. But he's never been highly penalized like this and this comes across as more fluke than not. But then I ask are offensive linemen only gauged based on how many penalties they get?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Like I just told another poster I sat here saying the same stuff about Anthony Brown and Lewis. I tried to tell people that maybe just maybe they are currently better than Joseph and they like what they see? But nah....fans believe they know it all. Its like they want all the best players on their team. A All Pro team. Conner needs to lower the penalties. For sure. But at the end of the day one penalty a game isn't killing you. Especially when its a holding penalty that can literally be called on every play. Now if he gets unseated because of play? That's a whole different discussion.
I blame fantasy football for this and a few other fan deficiencies.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
At this point you have to trust Philbin....if there was a better option, he would play the option....