McCarthy's decision not to challenge

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Last game of the season and season on the line you challenge regardless.

This one was an easy no catch call

• 3rd & 16 at DAL 42
    (7:07 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Jones pass short left to D.Pettis to DAL 32 for 10 yards (J.Lewis).

From the 42.....not sure what the Giants do....go for it? Punt? ....They probably punt....trying to pin us deep. That non challenge changed everything. Would have only needed a FG for the win...

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I can live with a loss, but when you lose because you're coaching staff is too clueless to challenge a play that could keep points off the board in a 1-point game, it's hard to live with.

:hammer:.....It just further cements this coaching staff is clueless.

king987

Reaction score
I mean...it was a lay up decision, no brainer. Even if the referees "somehow" decide it cannot be overturned, that should be challenged 100% of the time. Any competent coach would know that.

When we look back at the 2020 season, MM refusing to throw the red flag will be right up there on top highlights.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
MM is going to stay because firing him would mean that Jones was completely wrong and still has to fork over millions remaining on his contract. He’s been a bad coach this year. The staff has been bad. And they’ll all probably be back.

If this is any indication of what we have in MM another year like this will probably end his time here. He looks like a bridge to the next sucker..

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
MM is going to stay because firing him would mean that Jones was completely wrong and still has to fork over millions remaining on his contract. He’s been a bad coach this year. The staff has been bad. And they’ll all probably be back.

If this is any indication of what we have in MM another year like this will probably end his time here. He looks like a bridge to the next sucker..
:facepalm: Cowboy fans are so DRAMATIC after a loss...one day everyone is a hero then next day they hate them all...... its a loss, and the end of a horrible COVID/Injury filled season.... you will be ok young jedi...hang in there

stiletto

Reaction score
Hated the hire when they made it, still hate it.

I didn't HATE the hire, in fact I liked it but looking admittedly mostly that was because it was someone other than Garrett. Overall, I am not seeing the value added a veteran coach like him is supposed to add. It's pretty clear to me so far he had the GREAT benefit of having two HoF'er QB's to help him. Green Bay is 25-6 since they fired McCarthy...Not sure that should make anyone feel good about the future.

75boyz

Reaction score

So very true.
I was not a part of the Big Mac pom pom group before today regardless of the 3 previous wins.
Not a fan of Mac since day one and still believe he rode Rodgers coat tails.

Extending Moore as OC to next year and beyond confirmed my belief that he may be Jerry's next Garrett part II if things go south next year.

I fully expect things to go south next year as well.
Not a believer in the whole return of Dak, return of injured and no more covid changing much of anything.

Be ready to read all the next year will be different drivel.

Next year will be no different.
I can sum it up in a few words to those who will seem so confused by the lack of success next year.

"I told you so, lol" :)

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Hated the hire when they made it, still hate it.

It was questionable @ best.....Really hated the Nolan hire.....because I knew his history of the 3-4....Now that we have seen the results...I don't know how you keep this crap show going forward.

Honestly....Jerry should be on the phone tonight with Matt Eberflus (Colts)....and keep Kellen as your offensive coordinator....and let Matt run the defense. It could work.

But this McCarthy experiment has failed miserably.

Sydla

Reaction score
Trying to excuse McCarthy on this is pretty funny. Even if the guys upstairs screwed up, he's the HC, the ultimate responsibility falls on him.

You challenge in that spot, even if close. The chance at keeping it a 1 point game instead of 4 is WELL WORTH THE RISK OF LOSING A TIMEOUT.

For McCarthy to utter otherwise is just stupidity and *** covering at its finest.

DZSierra

Reaction score
MM may of lost the game by not challenging the call, but the reality is if the cowboys would of won today, there would only be another not seen yet legitimate reason to complain about the team before the end of the year, no matter if they won this game or not.

I'd like to think that Cowboys fans aren't that desperate like Eagles, Giants or Commander fans that thinking if you win this division this year, it actually can mean something to build onto for next year.

I mean winning the NFC east this year isn't like kissing your sister, more like screwing her LMAO.

PBCCowboy

Reaction score
MM is not a good HC at all. He only has a ring because of Aaron Rodgers.
Change my mind.
He was a bad hire.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That most likely cost this team a win and possibly a playoff appearance because the head coach was too scared to challenge a play that was clearly a close call in game time action.

The fact that he didn't want to risk a timeout in order to prevent the Giants from kicking a field goal clearly and keep it a 1 point game demonstrates Mike McCarthy is a terrible coach.

Seriously how do you not challenge that catch in that situation.

Terrible.
:facepalm: I don't view it that way , not at all,we lost the game adopting& settling for frickin' field goals rather than gutting it out in a professional footballish workman like manner ,endeavoring for those ever elusive touchdownso_O

75boyz

Reaction score
MM may of lost the game by not challenging the call, but the reality is if the cowboys would of won today, there would only be another not seen yet legitimate reason to complain about the team before the end of the year, no matter if they won this game or not.

I'd like to think that Cowboys fans aren't that desperate like Eagles, Giants or Commander fans that thinking if you win this division this year, it actually can mean something to build onto for next year.

I mean winning the NFC east this year isn't like kissing your sister, more like screwing her LMAO.

No,
In fact I was criticized and called out by a select number of Zoners who bought hook line and sinker that the previous 3 garbage wins was the start of a huge shift in culture and winning experience that would carry over to next year's team and beyond.

I did not support the temporary feel good carryover theory then or now.

Once this team starts beating winning teams I will give credit where credit is due. Until then, I will remain a "Show me" type.

Ain't nothing changed but dates on the calendar.

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
Bad non-challenge for sure. Not sure if he was waiting on a final word from someone upstairs or not— BUT any way you cut it— you have to be agile and nimble enough as a coaching staff to make critical calls at crucial moments.

Swing and a miss MM. Big whiff when your team needed you the most

I had thought the same thing also, but another thought I had is , if you see a team going into hurry up to get to the LOS to snap the ball before anyone can look at, then you know for sure the player went back to the huddle and said "I trapped it"... Just throw the red flag out there..

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
You're sure NYG doesn't come down the field with plenty of time left on the clock for a GW field goal, 23-22?

you got a point. But I do feel MM ***** up that challenge. Could of gave us a better opportunity to win.