CFZ McCarthy's system has potential

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know we are still smoldering after the last two games. However, I'm going to take a positive approach. I think McCarthy's system has potential. It's had rough spots, but hear me out. This offense looks a bit more efficient. I like seeing how quickly Dak is able to get up to the line and see what defences are doing. I like the motion being used (would be great if our players knew where to line up). I like the route combinations. The route combinations are much better than last year. There seems to be actual route creativity. It'd help if we got CeeDee the ball more. Good things happen when the ball is in CeeDee's hands.

What I'd like the rest of this season and next year is to see us use CeeDee and Cooks in a similar role to how the Eagles use AJ Brown and Smith. When they need a big play, AJ Brown gets the ball. That's what we should be doing with Lamb. Get him the ball early and often, especially when we need a big play. He can make it happen. Cooks, like Smith, is a deep ball threat that we should be using more. I'd also like to see us, next year, make a play for a better RB. If Barkley doesn't stay with the Giants, I'd love to see him with us. We can use him similar to how the Eagles use Swift. He'd be a solid lead back option. I'd then use a mid round pick on a RB. Then, I'd rotate the carries between Barkley, the rookie, and Dowdle. I think this would be a great way to get more out of this system.

We also need to tweak the oline a bit. Tyron Smith can't be solely reliable. We really should have gotten O'Cyrus last year, but that's done now. We need a tackle in round 1 in the worst way. Also, Martin is starting to break down a bit more. I think signing some depth at RG will be important. I think we also need an oline coach who can tweak the oline system a bit to account for the fact that two of our best olineman are older.

All in all, I think the system has great potential. It just needs a bit of adjusting. A bit like a gourmet meal. Sometimes, it looks great, but it just needs a touch more in the ingredients and in the way the ingredients are used. I can't imagine Barkley would cost us a huge amount, and he'd be a great option since I doubt the Giants will double tag him. I think using the WRs skillsets more will help our offense become more explosive, and I think the oline needs tweaking a bit. All in all, it's gotten better, and I see potential with the TCO. When we're not fumbling fb dives at the goal line, our red zone offense looks good. The motion and route combinations are good. Dak has been able to play a bit more comfortably. With the tweaks that I've mentioned in this thread, I think this offense can become more explosive and more dynamic. That said, I see the potential in the Texas Coast Offense after it's first year of being implemented.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
As opposed to what?

It's not like defenses are just going to give you 1-1 coverage against CD on third down. Dallas will throw it to him every play if that's the case.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As opposed to what?

It's not like defenses are just going to give you 1-1 coverage against CD on third down. Dallas will throw it to him every play if that's the case.

As opposed to the system that we ran last year. It took a long time for the routes and plays to develop last year. This year, I can see that the offense is more efficient. I can see the potential of a more efficient and quicker offense. I love it when they go up tempo because it wears out the defence. They should use it a bit more. It keeps the defence from subbing. Not go full Chip Kelly with it, but we should use it more. Overall, I like a lot of what I see compared to last year. There's just a few tweaks that need to be made imo. The defence is a story for another thread lol.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I know we are still smoldering after the last two games. However, I'm going to take a positive approach. I think McCarthy's system has potential. It's had rough spots, but hear me out. This offense looks a bit more efficient. I like seeing how quickly Dak is able to get up to the line and see what defences are doing. I like the motion being used (would be great if our players knew where to line up). I like the route combinations. The route combinations are much better than last year. There seems to be actual route creativity. It'd help if we got CeeDee the ball more. Good things happen when the ball is in CeeDee's hands.

What I'd like the rest of this season and next year is to see us use CeeDee and Cooks in a similar role to how the Eagles use AJ Brown and Smith. When they need a big play, AJ Brown gets the ball. That's what we should be doing with Lamb. Get him the ball early and often, especially when we need a big play. He can make it happen. Cooks, like Smith, is a deep ball threat that we should be using more. I'd also like to see us, next year, make a play for a better RB. If Barkley doesn't stay with the Giants, I'd love to see him with us. We can use him similar to how the Eagles use Swift. He'd be a solid lead back option. I'd then use a mid round pick on a RB. Then, I'd rotate the carries between Barkley, the rookie, and Dowdle. I think this would be a great way to get more out of this system.

We also need to tweak the oline a bit. Tyron Smith can't be solely reliable. We really should have gotten O'Cyrus last year, but that's done now. We need a tackle in round 1 in the worst way. Also, Martin is starting to break down a bit more. I think signing some depth at RG will be important. I think we also need an oline coach who can tweak the oline system a bit to account for the fact that two of our best olineman are older.

All in all, I think the system has great potential. It just needs a bit of adjusting. A bit like a gourmet meal. Sometimes, it looks great, but it just needs a touch more in the ingredients and in the way the ingredients are used. I can't imagine Barkley would cost us a huge amount, and he'd be a great option since I doubt the Giants will double tag him. I think using the WRs skillsets more will help our offense become more explosive, and I think the oline needs tweaking a bit. All in all, it's gotten better, and I see potential with the TCO. When we're not fumbling fb dives at the goal line, our red zone offense looks good. The motion and route combinations are good. Dak has been able to play a bit more comfortably. With the tweaks that I've mentioned in this thread, I think this offense can become more explosive and more dynamic. That said, I see the potential in the Texas Coast Offense after it's first year of being implemented.
Thanks Rusty for a positive thread.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

All in all, I think the system has great potential. It just needs a bit of adjusting. A bit like a gourmet meal. Sometimes, it looks great, but it just needs a touch more in the ingredients and in the way the ingredients are used. I can't imagine Barkley would cost us a huge amount, and he'd be a great option since I doubt the Giants will double tag him. I think using the WRs skillsets more will help our offense become more explosive, and I think the oline needs tweaking a bit. All in all, it's gotten better, and I see potential with the TCO. When we're not fumbling fb dives at the goal line, our red zone offense looks good. The motion and route combinations are good. Dak has been able to play a bit more comfortably. With the tweaks that I've mentioned in this thread, I think this offense can become more explosive and more dynamic. That said, I see the potential in the Texas Coast Offense after its first year of being implemented.
It would help a lot if the offense would be more balanced.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It would help a lot if the offense would be more balanced.

That's why I suggest signing a back like Barkley. I'd imagine he won't be signing back with the Giants as I think he got tagged this year. Double tagging him would be downright stupid for the Giants for cap reasons. So, we likely can get him. I think he can give us a bit more balance.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Thanks Rusty for a positive thread.

You're welcome, and it helps that we have 10 wins, and the potential is there. It always takes a bit of time for a new offensive system to begin to flow properly. If nothing else, I see potential. Now it's just a question of how to balance our the offense and get the ball into the best players' hands more often.

blueblood70

Reaction score

I actually agree with most of what you said but I wanna see more of what we saw last week I know it didn't seem like it worked but I like the use of the fullback the way they were using lamb in the run game and I like them to expand on that I want to see more of that this week and next week all the way into the playoffs using different schemes to create the run game and to open more holes because our starting offensive line is not getting it done right now...

So yes in pieces sporadically Mike McCarthy's offenses look pretty good but I'd like to see him bring it all game against a good team on the road he literally has to have a better game plan he seems to go super conservative like oh it's gonna rain like in Buffalo seemed like he didn't really bring anything but a vanilla offense last week against Miami it looked pretty good but he kind of went away from the run they went away from lamb in the second-half so there's still some pieces of this that's frustrating to me but if they could bring it all together and tighten it up by the playoffs you know like take the best of this year Mike McCarthy has a sheep and uses it for the playoff games cause one thing he doesn't want to do is bringing some vanilla game plan he needs to bring all that motion the full back using multiple players to create running plays you know behind the line of scrimmage you know lots and lots of things to help this offense against a better defensive line because our offensive line ain't gonna get it done straight up...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why I suggest signing a back like Barkley. I'd imagine he won't be signing back with the Giants as I think he got tagged this year. Double tagging him would be downright stupid for the Giants for cap reasons. So, we likely can get him.
Likely? Based on what?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
They need to go back to the short passes when teams start to bring the blitz. McCarthy just need to stay consistent. And keep his foot on the pedal. At times he goes back to cruise control and loses the momentum.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dallas is second in the league in points scored. They will likely get to 500 this year. They lost to the Niners, Bills and Cardinals because their defense is one dimensional and sucks when it gets challenged. McCarthy is doing a fine job. Blame the moron at the top for 30 years of futility.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I actually agree with most of what you said but I wanna see more of what we saw last week I know it didn't seem like it worked but I like the use of the fullback the way they were using lamb in the run game and I like them to expand on that I want to see more of that this week and next week all the way into the playoffs using different schemes to create the run game and to open more holes because our starting offensive line is not getting it done right now...

So yes in pieces sporadically Mike McCarthy's offenses look pretty good but I'd like to see him bring it all game against a good team on the road he literally has to have a better game plan he seems to go super conservative like oh it's gonna rain like in Buffalo seemed like he didn't really bring anything but a vanilla offense last week against Miami it looked pretty good but he kind of went away from the run they went away from lamb in the second-half so there's still some pieces of this that's frustrating to me but if they could bring it all together and tighten it up by the playoffs you know like take the best of this year Mike McCarthy has a sheep and uses it for the playoff games cause one thing he doesn't want to do is bringing some vanilla game plan he needs to bring all that motion the full back using multiple players to create running plays you know behind the line of scrimmage you know lots and lots of things to help this offense against a better defensive line because our offensive line ain't gonna get it done straight up...

Well, that's in part because it can take some time to see where the kinks are in the system so that they can be ironed out. The nice thing about McCarthy's system is that it's malleable. I want to see us use more of the FB dive and feeding Lamb. I think the fact that we've earned 10 wins at this point of the season with a new offensive system shows that it's a system with potential. I think that there should be some tweaks between now and the offseason. I like a lot of what you said. I think those would be great tweaks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Likely? Based on what?

Well, depends on how much he'd want in FA, but RBs don't usually cost a huge amount of money. If the FO wanted to get him, they could probably get him for $6-8 mil. That's a good investment to complete this offense. Or, they can try to get DH. Either way, acquiring a top RB in FA should be a priority along with a physical LBer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They need to go back to the short passes when teams start to bring the blitz. McCarthy just need to stay consistent. And keep his foot on the pedal. At times he goes back to cruise control and loses the momentum.

I would agree with this. Especially with slants to Lamb. That should be our bread and butter route. Every offense needs a bread and butter play when a big play is needed.

morat1959

Reaction score
.. The Debbie's are waiting at sight of any optimism thread.
They pounce on it, like biscuits out of the oven.
It's more than bizzare
Not as bizarre as the JJ and Dak warriors with stains all over their shirt.