CFZ McCarthy's system has potential

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well, depends on how much he'd want in FA, but RBs don't usually cost a huge amount of money. If the FO wanted to get him, they could probably get him for $6-8 mil. That's a good investment to complete this offense. Or, they can try to get DH. Either way, acquiring a top RB in FA should be a priority along with a physical LBer.
Get one of the top 3 runners in the draft. But a top shelf offensive tackle would affect the running game as well, with maybe a 3rd or 4th round running back.

TheCritic

Reaction score
It's fair to argue that MM has improved a lot of things. But his track record of other teams figuring him out late in the season is not new. Go look at his GB record. King of the regular season, not so great playoff record. Got lucky in 2010 when the rest of the NFC had a meltdown.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I know we are still smoldering after the last two games. However, I'm going to take a positive approach. I think McCarthy's system has potential. It's had rough spots, but hear me out. This offense looks a bit more efficient. I like seeing how quickly Dak is able to get up to the line and see what defences are doing. I like the motion being used (would be great if our players knew where to line up). I like the route combinations. The route combinations are much better than last year. There seems to be actual route creativity. It'd help if we got CeeDee the ball more. Good things happen when the ball is in CeeDee's hands.

What I'd like the rest of this season and next year is to see us use CeeDee and Cooks in a similar role to how the Eagles use AJ Brown and Smith. When they need a big play, AJ Brown gets the ball. That's what we should be doing with Lamb. Get him the ball early and often, especially when we need a big play. He can make it happen. Cooks, like Smith, is a deep ball threat that we should be using more. I'd also like to see us, next year, make a play for a better RB. If Barkley doesn't stay with the Giants, I'd love to see him with us. We can use him similar to how the Eagles use Swift. He'd be a solid lead back option. I'd then use a mid round pick on a RB. Then, I'd rotate the carries between Barkley, the rookie, and Dowdle. I think this would be a great way to get more out of this system.

We also need to tweak the oline a bit. Tyron Smith can't be solely reliable. We really should have gotten O'Cyrus last year, but that's done now. We need a tackle in round 1 in the worst way. Also, Martin is starting to break down a bit more. I think signing some depth at RG will be important. I think we also need an oline coach who can tweak the oline system a bit to account for the fact that two of our best olineman are older.

All in all, I think the system has great potential. It just needs a bit of adjusting. A bit like a gourmet meal. Sometimes, it looks great, but it just needs a touch more in the ingredients and in the way the ingredients are used. I can't imagine Barkley would cost us a huge amount, and he'd be a great option since I doubt the Giants will double tag him. I think using the WRs skillsets more will help our offense become more explosive, and I think the oline needs tweaking a bit. All in all, it's gotten better, and I see potential with the TCO. When we're not fumbling fb dives at the goal line, our red zone offense looks good. The motion and route combinations are good. Dak has been able to play a bit more comfortably. With the tweaks that I've mentioned in this thread, I think this offense can become more explosive and more dynamic. That said, I see the potential in the Texas Coast Offense after it's first year of being implemented.
A nice post.
Don't agree with all but your effort is appreciated by me and all in the group home here.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
As a head coach he is a clueless buffoon and his system is garbage.
the only reason he has a job here is JJ the puppet master

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep Rusty I agree with you I like McCarthy's system better than Kellen Moore's that said I'd be happy if his clock management was a little better if he challenged that fumble a couple weeks ago would have been another possession for our offense in general I'm definitely happier with his offensive system then I was with Moore's and of course Garrett's

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep Rusty I agree with you I like McCarthy's system better than Kellen Moore's that said I'd be happy if his clock management was a little better if he challenged that fumble a couple weeks ago would have been another possession for our offense in general I'm definitely happier with his offensive system then I was with Moore's and of course Garrett's

Oh, there's areas of improvement sure with him. I'm just saying that I think the system has potential. Even if McCarthy doesn't work out, I'd like to see a coach that uses a similar style build the TCO in a more lethal way.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's fair to argue that MM has improved a lot of things. But his track record of other teams figuring him out late in the season is not new. Go look at his GB record. King of the regular season, not so great playoff record. Got lucky in 2010 when the rest of the NFC had a meltdown.

Even if McCarthy isn't the one to carry us all the way, I'd want the replacement to be a similar WCO/TCO mind that can take this potential and build it to a lethal weapon and make the most of what I see as possible.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As a head coach he is a clueless buffoon and his system is garbage.
the only reason he has a job here is JJ the puppet master

It's better than Moore's and Garrett's offenses. I think the TCO has potential, and this is the first year of it being used. I think, with the tweaks I mentioned, that it can work very well for our offense. Now if we'd get some physical linebackers so we're not just relying on playing with a lead.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
It's better than Moore's and Garrett's offenses. I think the TCO has potential, and this is the first year of it being used. I think, with the tweaks I mentioned, that it can work very well for our offense. Now if we'd get some physical linebackers so we're not just relying on playing with a lead.
In order to do so you need a disciplinary and MM is not that type second you have JJ and his son will stand on the way so in our case it will be so hard to have a consistent good team we will always be good enough to have hope but not able to sustain that greatness .It is the country club, the Jones circus

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In order to do so you need a disciplinary and MM is not that type second you have JJ and his son will stand on the way so in our case it will be so hard to have a consistent good team we will always be good enough to have hope but not able to sustain that greatness .It is the country club, the Jones circus

True, and, tbf, this is pretty much all I've ever known as a Cowboys fan. That said, I see potential. I will say that some of the calls and a lot of the no calls are getting ridiculous with the inconsistency from the refs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
yeah you know what that's ridiculous I'm tired of hearing about that as if these players are spoiled and that's why they're making mistakes no you cannot discipline those guys like you could high school and in some cases college where you have like 100 players to choose from you can make an example out of somebody although that's getting tougher even in college the way they can go through the transfer portal and they're making money now but dude this is the professional Football League they literally have a union they have a guaranteed contracts in a lot of cases you cannot sit players who are significant contributors and make some weird example you act like they probably don't sit down in meetings and stress how dumb some of these penalties are and that they need to stop having them but that's all you can do as a coach in this league...

Which by the way you know that coach over there in Seattle he won a Super Bowl and got back to a Super Bowl where his team led the league in penalties so I don't wanna hear about this Country Club atmosphere that dude still has his job over there his team is always in the top five in penalties it may just be because they're an aggressive team it may be because you can't control what the referees are doing now but don't act like that's what's holding us back because other teams have had a lot of penalties they've been in the top five and still make the championship games they still go to the Super bowls but in the fact that Pete Carroll still has his job I mean his team won a Super Bowl and got to another Super Bowl and they led the league in penalties both years I guess that's a Country Club over there that's actually working....

I can't be more clear a lot of y'all act like this is high school you act like they could just grab a face mask and embarrass the player in trying to make a point and send him and whatever that old saying my parents used to have don't cut your nose off to spite your face you literally lot of these players are starters you cannot sit them because they have penalties it's very very little has ever been done to a superstar I don't care if it's Tom Landry who put up with so many turnovers from Danny white it's ridiculous or Jimmy Johnson or anybody else for that matter because I think that we had a lot of penalties when bill Parcells was here too you just can't control it all you can do is stress not to do it but you need your players to be on the field weekly in order to compete and they're not gonna sit superstars because you think they need discipline.... Some of you are clueless on how this business works these are not the types of players that you can actually discipline in a way that you're acting like they should I guarantee they're not saying it's OK they do things behind the closed doors here they don't embarrass their players on the sideline they're not gonna have a tirade that's not how some coaches do it they literally are trying to teach them behind closed doors and sometimes you just can't control it....

I find it ironic that Randy Gregory got got such a big contract with another team and he's one of the guys who jumps off sides a lot and he gets in trouble how is he still in the league how are all these guys like Alden Smith amongst about I don't know thirty others I could probably list if I felt like it that keep getting jobs even though they're seemingly undisciplined and getting suspended and can't seem to get things going in the right direct.... get chance after chance after chance..

If you need the answer to that question on why they keep getting jobs again you gotta have good players in order to compete and win and you can't be sitting those players to discipline them you can't yell at them scream at them and spit in their face this isn't the old way of doing things.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We desperately need a run game on the road.

At this point.. Why not try Deuce Vaughn?

You might actually be surprised with what you get.

75boyz

Reaction score
At some point there needs to be an ability to effectively run the football like in places like Buffalo or Philly in December.
As it stands now, the current state of the Texas Coast Offense is poor at running the ball period.
It appears as a mis match of random outside and inside attempts with no cohesive scheme.

It is a huge coaching fail based off McCarthy's run the damn ball and rest the defense offseason mantra.
Along with his hiring a run first minded OC in Schottenheimer and veteran OL Coach Solari whose resume is full of a variety of different run schemes.

A one dimensional pass offense with absolutely no threat of a run game does not bode well for playoff success.

Just my opinion.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
At some point there needs to be an ability to effectively run the football like in places like Buffalo or Philly in December.
As it stands now, the current state of the Texas Coast Offense is poor at running the ball period.
It appears as a mis match of random outside and inside attempts with no cohesive scheme.

It is a huge coaching fail based off McCarthy's run the damn ball and rest the defense offseason mantra.
Along with his hiring a run first minded OC in Schottenheimer and veteran OL Coach Solari whose resume is full of a variety of different run schemes.

A one dimensional pass offense with absolutely no threat of a run game does not bode well for playoff success.

Just my opinion.

I partially blame the FO for this. McCarthy did try to run the ball a lot, especially early in the season. As it turned out, we didn't quite have the running backs to make that work, so then he adjusted to more pass happy. I think the FO should have made the trade for Derrick Henry, who was available for trade. Derrick Henry probably earns the win in Philly and keeps the Buffalo game much closer.

75boyz

Reaction score
I partially blame the FO for this. McCarthy did try to run the ball a lot, especially early in the season. As it turned out, we didn't quite have the running backs to make that work, so then he adjusted to more pass happy. I think the FO should have made the trade for Derrick Henry, who was available for trade. Derrick Henry probably earns the win in Philly and keeps the Buffalo game much closer.
Totally agree on your Henry take.

But NOW he needs to show how to at least game plan a more cohesive run strategy with the personnel that he's got. He needs to adjust again.

Not a bunch of end arounds to CD and Brooks with a random off tackle run by Pollard or Dowdle.