CFZ McCarthy's system has potential

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Totally agree on your Henry take.

But NOW he needs to show how to at least game plan a more cohesive run strategy with the personnel that he's got. He needs to adjust again.

Not a bunch of end arounds to CD and Brooks with a random off tackle run by Pollard or Dowdle.

That may be, but, if you don't have the running backs, then there's not much you can do. If I were him, I'd bring in as many running backs until playoff time for workouts until he can find a reliable bandaid until the offseason. Then, do whatever it takes to convince Jerry that he needs a new olineman and a running back. If Barkley get free from the Giants or if Henry gets free from the Titans, Mike needs to pound the table for Jerry to bring them in. I figured that Pollard, Dowdle, and whatever else we have wouldn't be enough. They're not built for what we need. I'd like to see Vaughn used at least in some screen plays. At least that way, it's basically an extended handoff.

75boyz

Reaction score
That may be, but, if you don't have the running backs, then there's not much you can do. If I were him, I'd bring in as many running backs until playoff time for workouts until he can find a reliable bandaid until the offseason. Then, do whatever it takes to convince Jerry that he needs a new olineman and a running back. If Barkley get free from the Giants or if Henry gets free from the Titans, Mike needs to pound the table for Jerry to bring them in. I figured that Pollard, Dowdle, and whatever else we have wouldn't be enough. They're not built for what we need. I'd like to see Vaughn used at least in some screen plays. At least that way, it's basically an extended handoff.
I can respect your opinion on the talent level of the current running backs being the problem.

I can agree to an extent.
l still think the head coach should be able to accomplish a far more effective run scheme with the talent he has than the BS run game he's been running.

Even with Pollard and Dowdle, McCarthy should at least be able to keep the defense homest with a respectable complimentary scheme to accent some play action success.

I don't think, even if he had improved RB talent, that he could accomplish much better than he is cuz his whole run game play calling and scheme sucks regardless of running back.

No worries bro.
All boils down to me not being a big McCarthy believer.

I know.
Opinions vary.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Well, depends on how much he'd want in FA, but RBs don't usually cost a huge amount of money. If the FO wanted to get him, they could probably get him for $6-8 mil. That's a good investment to complete this offense. Or, they can try to get DH. Either way, acquiring a top RB in FA should be a priority along with a physical LBer.
I don't think Barkley will sign for the terms you listed, unless it is on another 1 year deal. Unfortunate for us, there is likely to be next to no big name free agents once again due to the $$$$ Dak will be getting, and they also have reup on Micah and Lamb. It will likely be another off season of hanging out by the dumpsters to try to find spots that need filling, depending upon draft success

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can respect your opinion on the talent level of the current running backs being the problem.

I can agree to an extent.
l still think the head coach should be able to accomplish a far more effective run scheme with the talent he has than the BS run game he's been running.

Even with Pollard and Dowdle, McCarthy should at least be able to keep the defense homest with a respectable complimentary scheme to accent some play action success.

I don't think, even if he had improved RB talent, that he could accomplish much better than he is cuz his whole run game play calling and scheme sucks regardless of running back.

No worries bro.
All boils down to me not being a big McCarthy believer.

I know.
Opinions vary.

I respect your opinion too. It's not so much that I believe in McCarthy, which I do to an extent (at least compared to Garrett and Moore). It's more to do with me liking the WCO system that he brings. I think it's a good system that fits this team well. He's far from the only coach who uses it. Sirianni, as much as I hate to credit the Eagles, runs a more aggressive form of it. If you watch the Eagles, their offense is very similar to ours because it's a similar WCO style. The main difference is 1. They have Swift, and 2. They know how to use the Tush Push. If McCarthy isn't the answer, then maybe we need someone from that system that can develop in our team what the Eagles do. I think we can do a lot of what they do, and it can be more effective with us to an extent if we would feed our best players and improve our running game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think Barkley will sign for the terms you listed, unless it is on another 1 year deal. Unfortunate for us, there is likely to be next to no big name free agents once again due to the $$$$ Dak will be getting, and they also have reup on Micah and Lamb. It will likely be another off season of hanging out by the dumpsters to try to find spots that need filling, depending upon draft success

Sure, which would stink, but maybe we then have to use the 2nd round pick on a back? Ironic cuz that's the pick I wanted our FO to use to get DH.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Sure, which would stink, but maybe we then have to use the 2nd round pick on a back? Ironic cuz that's the pick I wanted our FO to use to get DH.
You know what we will do with your 2nd round pick, right? We have so many holes and positions to fill on this team it's not even funny. RB,, WR2, OT, DT, LB---hard to fill all these spots in the draft, and by having little available cap space it's not an optimistic outlook is it?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You know what we will do with your 2nd round pick, right? We have so many holes and positions to fill on this team it's not even funny. RB,, WR2, OT, DT, LB---hard to fill all these spots in the draft, and by having little available cap space it's not an optimistic outlook is it?

Unfortunately, I know what we will likely do, but hey, I'm just saying what the smart thing would be. Plus, Derrick Henry probably wouldn't cost a huge amount. Running backs don't usually cost a huge amount in FA. So, I wouldn't think DH or Barkley shouldn't prevent us from extending Dak and taking care of Lamb and Parsons. Especially since they might only want a 1 year deal.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know what we will likely do, but hey, I'm just saying what the smart thing would be. Plus, Derrick Henry probably wouldn't cost a huge amount. Running backs don't usually cost a huge amount in FA. So, I wouldn't think DH or Barkley shouldn't prevent us from extending Dak and taking care of Lamb and Parsons. Especially since they might only want a 1 year deal.
DH is an old 29, can't see him doing a 1 year at this point of his career. Barkley maybe would, and I would love to get him...I just don't see us ponying up the cash needed, and can see a team like the Texans or Cards giving him the money and length of contract he would go for. Thinking team with a young QB is the fit for him

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I actually agree with most of what you said but I wanna see more of what we saw last week I know it didn't seem like it worked but I like the use of the fullback the way they were using lamb in the run game and I like them to expand on that I want to see more of that this week and next week all the way into the playoffs using different schemes to create the run game and to open more holes because our starting offensive line is not getting it done right now...

So yes in pieces sporadically Mike McCarthy's offenses look pretty good but I'd like to see him bring it all game against a good team on the road he literally has to have a better game plan he seems to go super conservative like oh it's gonna rain like in Buffalo seemed like he didn't really bring anything but a vanilla offense last week against Miami it looked pretty good but he kind of went away from the run they went away from lamb in the second-half so there's still some pieces of this that's frustrating to me but if they could bring it all together and tighten it up by the playoffs you know like take the best of this year Mike McCarthy has a sheep and uses it for the playoff games cause one thing he doesn't want to do is bringing some vanilla game plan he needs to bring all that motion the full back using multiple players to create running plays you know behind the line of scrimmage you know lots and lots of things to help this offense against a better defensive line because our offensive line ain't gonna get it done straight up...
If you take away the fumble, the first drive against Miami might have been our best drive of the season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you take away the fumble, the first drive against Miami might have been our best drive of the season.
I wouldn't say that I mean heck that last drive to take the lead should be counted as our best driver of the year currently and our defense blew it they could not hold.... But yes This is why we're encouraged I think if they just take pieces of all the best that this offense has had and put it all together and I don't know if they're waiting till the playoffs to just fully open it up but I liked the way they utilize everyone in that first drive and yes it was disappointing and you gotta blame the players at this point Tony Pollard should have in my opinion stretch that out to the pylon make it or not that was the better decision if not you need to stop being an upright runner in short yardage he got easily turned away because he was running too high literally that is not the way you get short yardage you gotta get your pads lower than the guy who's trying to tackle you imagine if he just would have ducked halfway down in dove just literally all he needed was an inch and this whole entire year we've been saying this on the road there's been winnable games against the Eagles and Miami which would have stopped all the madness about how we can't win on the road that we lost by inches,,,

so, yes I'm still confident we're gonna do well in the playoffs you gotta have faith that somehow Mike McCarthy is gonna put it all together.. We've seen signs we've seen flashes and we also did that without tyron Smith without hankins and with missing players people been sick the last three weeks I just feel like if they can just find a way to get our guys healthy enough into the playoffs we're gonna get past the second round this year...

I know it's tough to have faith and people are gonna call us homers but I just seen signs all year we just have to put it together not necessarily in the regular season I don't care what happens the next two games necessarily in my opinion it doesn't impact the playoffs except health we need to get the offensive line healthy and get hankins back and hopefully we could put it all together..​
That said I might hold out tyron Smith the rest of the year I don't care how much they think we need these two games I think we need him 100% in the playoffs and the only way to do that is let him sit for three weeks we've seen how he plays when he's rested and healthy.​

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I mean heck that last drive to take the lead should be counted as our best driver of the year currently and our defense blew it they could not hold.... But yes This is why we're encouraged I think if they just take pieces of all the best that this offense has had and put it all together and I don't know if they're waiting till the playoffs to just fully open it up but I liked the way they utilize everyone in that first drive and yes it was disappointing and you gotta blame the players at this point Tony Pollard should have in my opinion stretch that out to the pylon make it or not that was the better decision if not you need to stop being an upright runner in short yardage he got easily turned away because he was running too high literally that is not the way you get short yardage you gotta get your pads lower than the guy who's trying to tackle you imagine if he just would have ducked halfway down in dove just literally all he needed was an inch and this whole entire year we've been saying this on the road there's been winnable games against the Eagles and Miami which would have stopped all the madness about how we can't win on the road that we lost by inches,,,

so, yes I'm still confident we're gonna do well in the playoffs you gotta have faith that somehow Mike McCarthy is gonna put it all together.. We've seen signs we've seen flashes and we also did that without tyron Smith without hankins and with missing players people been sick the last three weeks I just feel like if they can just find a way to get our guys healthy enough into the playoffs we're gonna get past the second round this year...

I know it's tough to have faith and people are gonna call us homers but I just seen signs all year we just have to put it together not necessarily in the regular season I don't care what happens the next two games necessarily in my opinion it doesn't impact the playoffs except health we need to get the offensive line healthy and get hankins back and hopefully we could put it all together..​
That said I might hold out tyron Smith the rest of the year I don't care how much they think we need these two games I think we need him 100% in the playoffs and the only way to do that is let him sit for three weeks we've seen how he plays when he's rested and healthy.​
The last drive was the gutsiest. We overcame the referees and the backup left tackle. :laugh: The first drive was almost scripted to how to keep the ball out of Miami’s hand. It was brilliant.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The last drive was the gutsiest. We overcame the referees and the backup left tackle. :laugh: The first drive was almost scripted to how to keep the ball out of Miami’s hand. It was brilliant.
  • Score first. The Cowboys are 9-0 when scoring first and 1-5 when opponents score first.
this is why we lost..ughh..that first drive fumble was huge. We took the ball to do that very thing and 1inch from completing that task.. so disappointing.

Proof

Reaction score
Aiden Hutchinson:

200w.gif

baltcowboy

Reaction score
  • Score first. The Cowboys are 9-0 when scoring first and 1-5 when opponents score first.
this is why we lost..ughh..that first drive fumble was huge. We took the ball to do that very thing and 1inch from completing that task.. so disappointing.
And we need to continue to give the fullback the ball. He played well.