McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

waldoputty

Reaction score
During DallasCowboys.Com Cowboys Break, Steve Eatman asked Will McClay about Rico Gathers and everything sounds very promising. McClay even went on to say, “We can’t stop him”. And Rico/Romo were going against 1st teamers in byron jones, church and heath.

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/03/will-mcclay-on-rico-gathers-we-cant-stop-him/

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

here is a video of a Mcclay gushing about Rico.

John813

Reaction score
2017, Romo and Rico?

Were they referring to 2016?

Sorry can't watch right now as my earbuds died.

DFWJC

Reaction score
:dance:

oh crap..got pumped without reading.
I thought this was recent.
:banghead:
Romo was slicing and dicing the 1st team D in practice daily late in 2016. Entire practices with the ball not hitting the ground. So, sorry if I'm disappointed in the context.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If this was all happening now and not last off season I would understand the excitement of his potential.
However, this is over a year later and we're not hearing good things from anyone. In fact the media is sick of the TE topic.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If this was all happening now and not last off season I would understand the excitement of his potential.
However, this is over a year later and we're not hearing good things from anyone. In fact the media is sick of the TE topic.

ok, so u r saying rico 'forgot' how to be "unstoppable".

or perhaps rico 'lost' his talent?

unstoppable is a pretty strong word and it came from mcclay :lmao:

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
With his size & athletism, there’s not much you can do to stop him. He can reach into the air and catch a pass you’d have to jump for, and he’ll still pull it away from you. Even if his role was limited to being a red zone target, that’s important. Him and Zeke would be the only red zone threats that strike fear into the defense, him being the outside threat if they stack the box. There’s a role for him already on this team with a lot of potential to grow. I hope they stick with him.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
None of our TE's have looked anything resembling decent this pre-season. I'd say cut one of them to keep Rico. If anything, at least he has potential.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
ok, so u r saying rico 'forgot' how to be "unstoppable".

or perhaps rico 'lost' his talent?

unstoppable is a pretty strong word and it came from mcclay :lmao:
Dude, you have issues with Gathers. All of the "potential" talk was LAST YEAR. Do you get that?
Did I say he forgot to be unstoppable? No, I didn't.
What I am saying is that he is NOT unstoppable now.

LAST YEAR!

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dude, you have issues with Gathers. All of the "potential" talk was LAST YEAR. Do you get that?
Did I say he forgot to be unstoppable? No, I didn't.
What I am saying is that he is NOT unstoppable now.

LAST YEAR!

ok, mcclay said he was unstoppable last year but yet he is not unstoppable now?
did he lose a leg or had microfracture surgery?
:lmao:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Blah, blah, blah. Just cut the guy and let him find an opportunity somewhere else. We're not going to do anything with Rico so give him his freedom so we can suck at TE all year long. Maybe one of the other guys can improve over time.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Rico is exactly the kind of guy that could help Rico thrive.

He could throw the high-point ball as well as anyone ever has.

Dak doesn't throw that well, however. He needs route runners.