McClay breaks down each draft pick

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, spot on.
The whole offseason mantra of run the damn ball and rest the defense directly contradicts his offensive coaching history.
It sounds good in press conferences and gave a fake reason to fire Moore though.

jmo
I’m not saying I’m opposed to either I just don’t believe the smoke based on MMs history.

We’re a better run blocking team than pass blocking team so I imagine we’ll remain pretty balanced but I think a lot of slant / flat concepts based on what I’ve heard.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably not a popular take but I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t think McClay deserves a throne and a crown.

He’s an upgrade from the previous regime but that was pretty low bar.

He's got many warts. People just ignore them.

He's had 4 prior swings at DT with day 2 picks in the last 5 years and ended up with Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Osa Odighizuwa and Chauncey Golston.

Impressed? I'm not.

He's now taken two more swings at it. Mazi Smith and Viliami Fehoko. There's no reason why anybody should be confident they will be players simply because they have the Will McClay stamp of approval. You'd have to ignore recent history to believe that. You need more of a reason than that.

I like Mazi. The fact that Will McClay likes Mazi means nothing to me. That's the thing.

ESisback

Reaction score
What's funny is he talks about having to evolve with the game when he breaks down Deuce but in the Schoonmaker breakdown he says the TEs they look for are mostly a lost art in this day and age of space players.

Which is it, Will? Or are you just full of ****?
Well, he doesn’t know as much as you, but….

No, seriously, why not both? Evolve in some areas, old school in others, perhaps? Balance.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’m not saying I’m opposed to either I just don’t believe the smoke based on MMs history.

We’re a better run blocking team than pass blocking team so I imagine we’ll remain pretty balanced but I think a lot of slant / flat concepts based on what I’ve heard.
I am entirely skeptical of all of it. I believe the offense becomes more pass happy as the season evolves and ultimately leads to team failure again.

rambo2

Reaction score
I am entirely skeptical of all of it. I believe the offense becomes more pass happy as the season evolves and ultimately leads to team failure again.
I think that they will be better on offense with the new guys which will include Hunter Luepke.

ghst187

Reaction score
The comp for Fehoko I heard that makes the most sense to me is Michael Bennett. A sort of high level utility d-lineman across the line.

Fehoko’s athleticism is not great for EDGE, but has advantages inside.
Yeah for sure, kid def has the “want to”…plays hard

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's got many warts. People just ignore them.

He's had 4 prior swings at DT with day 2 picks in the last 5 years and ended up with Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Osa Odighizuwa and Chauncey Golston.

Impressed? I'm not.

He's now taken two more swings at it. Mazi Smith and Viliami Fehoko. There's no reason why anybody should be confident they will be players simply because they have the Will McClay stamp of approval. You'd have to ignore recent history to believe that. You need more of a reason than that.

I like Mazi. The fact that Will McClay likes Mazi means nothing to me. That's the thing.
I actually think Osa is turning into a darn good player, but overall, yea I agree.

I’m also sick of us taking 6’5 CBs that aren’t good.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
McClay ain’t the problem. The team has not done enough in the trade and FA market to support the guys we draft. And caving in to Zeke and Lawrence wasn’t the best use of resources.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I actually think Osa is turning into a darn good player, but overall, yea I agree.

Yeah, Risen’s take was pretty lame.

1. You have buy into the premise that McClay makes the final call on who is drafted. We know he doesn’t, so to lay responsibility solely at his feet is weak-minded.

2. Osa has been a good player for us. End of story.

3. Gholston was drafted in R3 (84th overall) as a DE. McClay has no say on whether a particular coaching staff converts him to another position or not.

4. Gallimore R3 (82nd overall) and Trystan Hill R2 (58th overall) have been disappointments. However, we all know it was Maranelli that was throwing his opinion around advocating for Hill.

The highest pick of those name was Hill and even that was in the back of round 2, so let’s not act like we were investing premier draft capital into the position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't listen to the soy boy diversity advocate. He's a waste of time. If you think Jerry or Stephen even knew who those players were you're delusional. They were selected on the suggestion of Will McClay at a point in the draft that Will McClay saw value in.

Golston was drafted for position flex. He absolutely was seen as a DT when the pick was made. Much like Fehoko this year.

McClay is the buffer between coaches and the two fake guys at the top. Especially assistant coaches. To put full blame on Marinelli for Trysten Hill is laughable. It shouldn't be taken seriously. Unless McClay has a grade on that player to rationalize it, that pick isn't made in the 2nd round.

4 day 2 picks. One decent player and 3 garbage. Your Mom could do better just picking out her favorite names.

BTW, only a complete draft dunce would think those picks aren't significant investments. You should be finding future starters there or you should be throat kicked out of the war room.

Will McClay is as overrated now as Stephen Jones used to be. A complete fraud.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh we can't forget McClay's great work at corner too. A 2nd on Kelvin Joseph. A 3rd on Nahshon Wright and who can forget his pet cat in the 2020 draft Reggie Robinson II. Now playing in the XFL.

So I guess we should just assume Eric Scott Jr. will pan out. He was annointed by the draft guru.

If you really look at him objectively you find that he's better than Jerry and Stephen and that's all he is.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Oh we can't forget McClay's great work at corner too. A 2nd on Kelvin Joseph. A 3rd on Nahshon Wright and who can forget his pet cat in the 2020 draft Reggie Robinson II. Now playing in the XFL.

So I guess we should just assume Eric Scott Jr. will pan out. He was annointed by the draft guru.

If you really look at him objectively you find that he's better than Jerry and Stephen and that's all he is.
CB sucks worse bc there was usually a CB drafted right after the pick that the whole world thought was a better player except the Cowboys.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Don't listen to the soy boy diversity advocate. He's a waste of time. If you think Jerry or Stephen even knew who those players were you're delusional. They were selected on the suggestion of Will McClay at a point in the draft that Will McClay saw value in.

Golston was drafted for position flex. He absolutely was seen as a DT when the pick was made. Much like Fehoko this year.

McClay is the buffer between coaches and the two fake guys at the top. Especially assistant coaches. To put full blame on Marinelli for Trysten Hill is laughable. It shouldn't be taken seriously. Unless McClay has a grade on that player to rationalize it, that pick isn't made in the 2nd round.

4 day 2 picks. One decent player and 3 garbage. Your Mom could do better just picking out her favorite names.

BTW, only a complete draft dunce would think those picks aren't significant investments. You should be finding future starters there or you should be throat kicked out of the war room.

Will McClay is as overrated now as Stephen Jones used to be. A complete fraud.
I knew I’d trigger your tenderheart.

Are you new a fan?

You have to be told that the Jones’ are the final say?

Let me educate you boy. Deny it all you want, Jerry likens himself as a talent evaluator. Which is precisely why he shows up at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Of course McClay has input, but to think he’s the head shot caller who’s opinion Jerry/Stephen are obligated to kowtow to is simply dimwitted.

To also think Maranelli (or any coordinator) and his particular scheme didn’t have sway with the types of players we were targeting on defense (and positional value) is stupefying.

Now go air blast your keyboard of Cheeto dust incel.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has finally say. He's the decision maker. He just wants to be the one to decide it but much like you see on the Mazi video when he was selected, Jerry made the decision, Will McClay really made the call.

Imagine being an adult Cowboys fan and thinking Jerry or Stephen are breaking down film and assigning draft grades on players. Every decision they make is based on the work done and given to them by Will McClay.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will McClay heads the scouting department. It's literally his job to put together the draft board. To think there are grades on that board that he hasn't signed off is almost as idiotic as putting a token chick on a draft show that doesn't even know how to mock draft.

Soy boys can attempt to deflect McClay's whiffs. If you followed the team for more than 5 minutes and aren't a complete moron you know better.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Which has NOTHING to do with Pollard. He broke his leg. 3 months ago! It's still 3 more months until preseason.
It does tell us something about anticipating that maybe, just maybe, a player might not be fully healed from an injury even though he's playing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Will McClay heads the scouting department. It's literally his job to put together the draft board. To think there are grades on that board that he hasn't signed off is almost as idiotic as putting a token chick on a draft show that doesn't even know how to mock draft.

Soy boys can attempt to deflect McClay's whiffs. If you followed the team for more than 5 minutes and aren't a complete moron you know better.
Luulz, what are you blathering about tenderheart? You’re nonsensically setting up strawmen because you got your card pulled.

Yes, McClay and company set the grades. That’s never been in dispute. The question is who has the final say in who is drafted. You’re claiming the Jones’ aren’t part of that. That’s pure comedy. End of story.

You’re frightened. I get it. You’re lashing out because you’re getting educated. Imagine what 5th grade level math was like for you.

Go kneel at the alter of Marge.