McClay needs to be fired

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You might be right but then again everyone loved the last few drafts only to find out that most was over rated over hyped crap. Maybe these guys are just as under rated. Who cares if we win the draft now only to really lose it later. Let's just see what these guys can do.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
What's funny is all these players you guys are saying Dallas should trade up to get and realize they are still on the board now or fell much later then where y'all wanted to trade up.

If some of you were drafting Dallas would get 2 players every year in the draft and that's it cause all the picks would be gone and you broke from spending all the salary cap in free agency

Loso86

Reaction score
We all know the Jones’ are never gonna step down, so that’s off the table.

But Will McClay, the glorified draft savant, just played a major part in using 3 straight high-end, quality draft positions to select absolute nobodies. Guys who should be late rounders or UDFAs. As usual, the Cowboys outsmarted themselves by trying to think they’re smarter than everyone else.

It’s concerning how inept this draft class looks to be, and Will McClay’s ONLY job is to prepare for this night.

This night - specifically the 3rd round - was a disaster.

McClay, please take a hike.
Should probably wait and see if theze guys cN play or not right? Plus these coaches especially quinn carry alot of power it seems

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What's funny is all these players you guys are saying Dallas should trade up to get and realize they are still on the board now or fell much later then where y'all wanted to trade up.

If some of you were drafting Dallas would get 2 players every year in the draft and that's it cause all the picks would be gone and you broke from spending all the salary cap in free agency
That’s what hilarious....they are mad they didn’t reach fir the players they wanted....

btcutter

Reaction score
Nobodies based on what?

The fact that some of you still don’t understand how random the 3rd-7th rounds of the NFL draft are blows my mind.
3rd rounders? That’s not the same as 7th rounders. 3 rounders are valuable they are still top 100 talent out of college.

Comparing top 100 vs bottom of the barrel blows my mind.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
The Cowboys love 3Ts don't they , you mean to tell me there wasn't one immovable, double team demanding, "don't even try running through my gap" 1T available?

TWOK11

Reaction score
3rd rounders? That’s not the same as 7th rounders. 3 rounders are valuable they are still top 100 talent out of college.

Comparing top 100 vs bottom of the barrel blows my mind.

There’s not much difference between third and 7th round picks historically, in terms of “hit” rate. 3rd round picks are a bit more likely to be stars, but that’s about it.

btcutter

Reaction score
There’s not much difference between third and 7th round picks historically, in terms of “hit” rate. 3rd round picks are a bit more likely to be stars, but that’s about it.
NFL Draft hit rate by Round
Round 1 Hit Rate
  • Round 1: 55%
  • Round 2: 51%
  • Round 3: 38%
  • Round 4: 29%
  • Round 5: 29%
  • Round 6: 19%
  • Round 7: 14%
  • Total draft: 32%
    • Top-10: 66%
    • Picks 11-20: 60%
    • Picks 21-32: 43%
    • Round 2 (top half): 48%
    • Round 2 (bottom half): 46%

Portnoy1

Reaction score
When's the last time the Cowboys got an interior run stuffer? I mean , if I recall this past season teams had a better chance of hitting a 20 run up the middle then throwing a slant for for 5yds. Am I right? If the opposing offensive lineman runs to a camera after a goal line untouched run of 5 yds to the house and yells "easy money" I think that's a sign that clogging gaps is a priority. Just as a reminder, Goal Line runs are not supposed to be easy just incase the cowboys forgot.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The majority on here said before the draft, we need to come away with 2 starters, and a 3rd that could eventually start. Some depth.
Well that is what they did,
2 starters and 2 depth and rotation guys. What more do you want. yes the last pick is questionable But some reports have him having an upside.

But yet we get the same old whining for what most wanted to begin with.
You are not getting 5 starters with the 1st 5 picks.

yes they could have done better, and I am a little disappointed overall. However it is not so bad either. All they need to do is to improve enough to get to the middle or slightly better ranked defense. Then improve again next year. After all these same fans are also saying it can’t be fixed this year. But yet, want to we get day in and day out.

Though today as I said, a little disappointed, but I will wait until after tomorrow. Then give it a few days, read, see what it really is, before I jump for joy, or jump off a cliff. :laugh:
Or just feel nothing at all, wait until we see on the field.​

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes, let's fire him because none of the guys the Cowboys took in the third round were rated highly by all the media experts. Nevermind the fact these guys haven't even had a pro practice yet, let alone, you know, actually play in a game.

Honestly..........after the 2nd round pick, did you even know who any of these guys were?

RS12

Reaction score
I could take or leave McClay but question: Who do think that is worth a darn and not desperate for a buck is gonna work for Jerry? It is the same with coaches. Working for Jerry is like trying to run a marathon with a cinder block chained to each leg.

btcutter

Reaction score
The majority on here said before the draft, we need to come away with 2 starters, and a 3rd that could eventually start. Some depth.
Well that is what they did,
2 starters and 2 depth and rotation guys. What more do you want. yes the last pick is questionable But some reports have him having an upside.

But yet we get the same old whining for what most wanted to begin with.
You are not getting 5 starters with the 1st 5 picks.

yes they could have done better, and I am a little disappointed overall. However it is not so bad either. All they need to do is to improve enough to get to the middle or slightly better ranked defense. Then improve again next year. After all these same fans are also saying it can’t be fixed this year. But yet, want to we get day in and day out.

Though today as I said, a little disappointed, but I will wait until after tomorrow. Then give it a few days, read, see what it really is, before I jump for joy, or jump off a cliff. :laugh:
Or just feel nothing at all, wait until we see on the field.​
You set the bar too low for the amount of ammunition we have in this draft.
I think we can all agree that we needed DT, CB, S, LB..... desperately. On top of that OL and DE to develop or rotation guys.
This mean we should be shooting for 4 starters with 5 picks in top 100 and several more in rest of the draft.
Why let the draft dictate your fate when you have the pick to GO GET your player. You want TCU S.... go get him. He wasn’t that far out of reach. Probably cost you 2nd and 4th.
Next you want a DT...package 75 with another 4th to move up 5-10 spots.

You are not stuck in cement.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We all know the Jones’ are never gonna step down, so that’s off the table.

But Will McClay, the glorified draft savant, just played a major part in using 3 straight high-end, quality draft positions to select absolute nobodies. Guys who should be late rounders or UDFAs. As usual, the Cowboys outsmarted themselves by trying to think they’re smarter than everyone else.

It’s concerning how inept this draft class looks to be, and Will McClay’s ONLY job is to prepare for this night.

This night - specifically the 3rd round - was a disaster.

McClay, please take a hike.

agree.

the 2nd day has been bad.

btcutter

Reaction score
When's the last time the Cowboys got an interior run stuffer? I mean , if I recall this past season teams had a better chance of hitting a 20 run up the middle then throwing a slant for for 5yds. Am I right? If the opposing offensive lineman runs to a camera after a goal line untouched run of 5 yds to the house and yells "easy money" I think that's a sign that clogging gaps is a priority. Just as a reminder, Goal Line runs are not supposed to be easy just incase the cowboys forgot.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results.
Maybe it’s time to value a 1 tech DT and Safety?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You set the bar too low for the amount of ammunition we have in this draft.
I think we can all agree that we needed DT, CB, S, LB..... desperately. On top of that OL and DE to develop or rotation guys.
This mean we should be shooting for 4 starters with 5 picks in top 100 and several more in rest of the draft.
Why let the draft dictate your fate when you have the pick to GO GET your player. You want TCU S.... go get him. He wasn’t that far out of reach. Probably cost you 2nd and 4th.
Next you want a DT...package 75 with another 4th to move up 5-10 spots.

You are not stuck in cement.

It is not that easy as you think it is to make all those moves. Sound nice, but it rarely happens.
Unless your cabinet is empty and you actually have 4 or 5 spots open for new starters.
Even if so, you do not need all those trades. You start who you pick if no trades.