McClay needs to be fired

pansophy

Reaction score
You set the bar too low for the amount of ammunition we have in this draft.
I think we can all agree that we needed DT, CB, S, LB..... desperately. On top of that OL and DE to develop or rotation guys.
This mean we should be shooting for 4 starters with 5 picks in top 100 and several more in rest of the draft.
Why let the draft dictate your fate when you have the pick to GO GET your player. You want TCU S.... go get him. He wasn’t that far out of reach. Probably cost you 2nd and 4th.
Next you want a DT...package 75 with another 4th to move up 5-10 spots.

You are not stuck in cement.
Safety is probably the position we were best able to shore up in FA, given we have signed guys with experience in Quinn's system.

To make the defense work we need guys who can generate a pass rush and play press corner. We got two pressure guys, three if you count Parsons as a pressure guy, and two corners with the qualities to excel in press coverage.

In the press conference, they said they were talking about safety, but it didn't land that way. Are you giving up a pressure player and press corner for a safety when you just signed a couple that should be able to play in the system? It's hard to argue for that.

btcutter

Reaction score
It is not that easy as you think it is to make all those moves. Sound nice, but it rarely happens.
Unless your cabinet is empty and you actually have 4 or 5 spots open for new starters.
Even if so, you do not need all those trades. You start who you pick if no trades.
I have to disagree. Outside 1st and early 2nd it’s much easier to move especially when you are only talking about 3-10 spots. Cowboys have the picks. They can overpay and move up. Better get the players you want then what is left for you.
If they had moved at least 1x then I wouldn’t have been as harsh. But making zero moves is inexcusable.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We all know the Jones’ are never gonna step down, so that’s off the table.

But Will McClay, the glorified draft savant, just played a major part in using 3 straight high-end, quality draft positions to select absolute nobodies. Guys who should be late rounders or UDFAs. As usual, the Cowboys outsmarted themselves by trying to think they’re smarter than everyone else.

It’s concerning how inept this draft class looks to be, and Will McClay’s ONLY job is to prepare for this night.

This night - specifically the 3rd round - was a disaster.

McClay, please take a hike.

I wasn't a fan of the third round as we came away with 0 BPA picks and everyone was a reach. We don't know if these were coach or scout picks, but on paper I'm not sure any will make an immediate impact.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m not going to talk about the 3rd round picks other than at the very least they were horrible draft day value and that does give fans the right to be upset.

what will you say if all 3 turn into players for us and help our defense become above average?

kumizi

Reaction score
I was listening to the press conference and Jerry said the Cowboys take more input from their coaches than a lot of other teams. He also said we'd be "shocked" at how much input Mike McCarthy had over the picks when he was asked if Quinn impacted the picks.

:facepalm:

Not saying that to stick up for McClay but it's really hard to evaluate him with the clowns running this thing.

btcutter

Reaction score
what will you say if all 3 turn into players for us and help our defense become above average?

I say we got really lucky. There’s a better chance that none of them will be with the team in 3 years.

Problem is not the players. The issue is FO let the draft dictate to them instead of being proactive when we so so many picks.

btcutter

Reaction score
I was listening to the press conference and Jerry said the Cowboys take more input from their coaches than a lot of other teams. He also said we'd be "shocked" at how much input Mike McCarthy had over the picks when he was asked if Quinn impacted the picks.

:facepalm:

Not saying that to stick up for McClay but it's really hard to evaluate him with the clowns running this thing.

There’s a reason why they are coaches and not scouts. ‍‍‍‍

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I say we got really lucky. There’s a better chance that none of them will be with the team in 3 years.

Problem is not the players. The issue is FO let the draft dictate to them instead of being proactive when we so so many picks.

idc about all that. If they turn into players and help my team then great, nothing to complain about

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results.
Maybe it’s time to value a 1 tech DT and Safety?
This means that the Cowboys have taken a 3T in 3 straight drafts within the first 3 rounds. So apparently they haven't found there guy. On top of that, what is the point of taking another DE also? We have DLAW, Gregory on the edges and have Parsons who is a good blitzer. I'm okay with Parsons and the CB, but we really needed a run stuffer. And I know that can be obtained in rounds 4-7 but I want the best prospect available at that position, not just a jag. Vita Vea helped the Bucs have the no. 1 rush defense. Just because it's a passing League doesn't mean teams won't run it on you if they can. The cowboys of ALL teams should understand that. You have to take away one thing at least. The Bucs had the no. 1 rush defense , established that reputation of stopping the run during the season and then in the playoffs they turned on the pass rush in the playoffs with teams not really attempting to test there run D. I witnessed teams like washington run the ball on 3rd and 6 and get rewarded. Let that sink in. You can Stop the run or stop the pass. But you have to stop something to make the other team on dimensional.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Its irrelevant.

We are drafting now and they are bad value now.

A scheme change should get the defense to average.

pansophy

Reaction score
I’m not going to talk about the 3rd round picks other than at the very least they were horrible draft day value and that does give fans the right to be upset.
I don't disagree in principle, but as Jones and McCarthy described in the press conference tonight players are graded based on qualities that the coaches want to be emphasized for what they are trying to do. They aren't grading players generally for any situation, so all the teams boards are going to be a distorted view of players.

So when we are following our board, I don't think they consider where the player is on someone's big board of general value because it only takes one team who are looking for similar qualities to snatch that guy up. The Wright pick seems, in particular, seems nutty to me, but if they really did have 6 players that they liked in that spot as they said and still picked Wright then I have to believe they value something in him that other folks aren't looking for.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results.
Maybe it’s time to value a 1 tech DT and Safety?
Please list the 1-techs available.

Hint

The highest rated 1-tech, across 50 draft boards, came in with an average rank of #80.

He went at #72

How much of a reach would you have been comfortable with to go get him? Take him at #44?

Maverick84

Reaction score
Please… Step away from the ledge.
did you really just Third Eye Blind my man @jwooten15 ?

Ih2e.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We all know the Jones’ are never gonna step down, so that’s off the table.

But Will McClay, the glorified draft savant, just played a major part in using 3 straight high-end, quality draft positions to select absolute nobodies. Guys who should be late rounders or UDFAs. As usual, the Cowboys outsmarted themselves by trying to think they’re smarter than everyone else.

It’s concerning how inept this draft class looks to be, and Will McClay’s ONLY job is to prepare for this night.

This night - specifically the 3rd round - was a disaster.

McClay, please take a hike.

2016-2019 defensive drafting has been awful. The jury is still out on 2020-2021, but Nashon is inexplicable. Some of the blame for that has to fall at McClay's feet.

2021 seems like the opposite of 2020, when we let the draft come to us. Did Chicago present us with their offer, but we refused because we didn't want to pass up on Parsons?