McGinn Top 55 scout talk (offense only)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scout quotes from the offensive players in his current top 55.

In this initial three-part series, the projected top 55 players in the 2024 NFL draft will be examined. Personnel people offered their assessments of players last month before the start of workouts at the combine. Their comments were based almost exclusively on their exposure to players both in live looks and tape study. My rankings, arranged in order within each position, were influenced to an extent by results from the combine. For example, 40-yard dash times will play a critical role in stacking prospects at cornerback and wide receiver, among other positions. But remember, when these scouts were interviewed, they had almost no verified 40 times in addition to no verified heights and weights on underclassmen.

This projected Top 55 will lead to my NFL Draft Series, which I’ve been assembling annually since 1985.

-

OFFENSE (32)

Wide receivers (9)

Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State (6-3, 209): Fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting. “He’s the real deal,” one scout said. “He’s legit. He’s everything they say. He’s huge, he’s quick, he’s got sneaky speed and he catches everything.”

Caught a mere 11 passes as a member of the Buckeyes’ loaded wide-receiver group as a true freshman before catching 144 passes for 2,474 yards (17.2 average) and 28 touchdowns in the past two seasons. “They had a bad quarterback (Kyle McCord) this year and he still averaged 18.1 yards a catch,” said a second scout. “He’s good on back shoulders, fades, traffic catches. He’s a lot bigger than his dad (Marvin Sr., who was 6-0, 180 coming out in 1996). He reminded me of Calvin Johnson with his size, quickness, hands, speed, body control and run after the catch.” One of the first players in combine history to shun the scheduled media interview; also didn’t work out. “Calvin’s much more gifted,” a third scout said. “I kind of liken him to Larry Fitzgerald. And, of the top handful of guys (wide receivers), his character is the cleanest. He’s going to be a great NFL player just like Larry Fitzgerald was. Very similar.”

Malik Nabers, Louisiana State (NA): NFL teams have no verified height, weight or speed after he declined measurements and testing in Indianapolis. “He’s not Harrison,” one scout said. “If you see that he’s better than Harrison, just ignore it. He’s more of that D.J. Moore kind of player. Thick running-back build. They do a lot of that underneath movement, slip-screen stuff with him. He’s a good player, a really good player. Tough, strong. I don’t think he has elite ball skills. He’ll be a good starter.” Had four dropped passes in the eight games broken down by another scout. “That was the only thing that disappointed me,” he said. “But they were all on slants and hitches so I think he’s so anxious to run after the catch that he doesn’t concentrate sometimes. He has the best run-after-the-catch of the group. After the catch this guy is just sensational. This guy’s quicker than Justin Jefferson but Justin Jefferson is stronger and better in traffic. Nabers is amazing after the catch, and that’s what it’s all about, really, today.” Finished second in college football last season with 1,569 receiving yards. “He’s more physically talented than Harrison but he’s not as big and not as much of a pro as Marvin is,” said a third scout. “He’s got some volatility, some immaturity. Of the top three guys, if there’s one whose makeup would not allow him to reach his potential, it might be Nabers. But he’s very passionate about football and plays the game that way and is highly competitive. The other (top) kids are just so damn clean.”

Rome Odunze, Washington (6-3, 212): Saved his best for last, compiling career bests in 2023 for receptions (92), yards (1,640), average (17.8) and TDs (13). “He might be faster than Harrison,” said one scout. “Harrison is more powerful. Who is he like? Tim Brown. He has Tim Brown’s smoothness. All of a sudden he’s on top of you and he’s gone. He’s a complete receiver, too. He can catch, run after the catch and he blocks.” His 40 time at the combine was 4.45, his vertical jump of 39 inches was excellent and his shuttle runs were outstanding. “He’s a great kid and it wouldn’t surprise me if Odunze ended up being the best of the class,” a second scout said. “What’s crazy is he has production and there were three receivers there (Washington) that are getting drafted. He could be the slam dunk of the group. He’s not getting as much (hype) now but let’s be honest, some of that is because he’s on the West Coast.” Finished with 214 receptions and a 15.3 average. “He’s good, but I have some issues with his quickness and his ability to separate,” a third scout said. “He’s strong, but his lack of explosiveness really bothered me. You hear, ‘He makes these great plays,’ but none of them are really high in the air. They’re all where he bodies guys and they’re lower catches. You just don’t do that in the NFL. You better go up over somebody. I think he’ll be a solid pro. Nothing special.”

Brian Thomas, Louisiana State (6-3, 209): Another in the long line of standout wideouts in Baton Rouge. “That’s ‘Receiver U,’” one scout said. “He’s completely different than Nabers. This guy is tall, long (32 ¾-inch arms), vertical. He can run now. Reminded me a little of Plaxico (Burress), that movement. Not a silky-moving athlete but can change direction. Has size, length and strength running routes.” Helped himself immensely with 4.34 clocking at the combine, the second best at the position. “He’s got huge speed but he’s not as good a receiver as Nabers,” said a second scout. “He can really fly. He’ll play a long time.” More than doubled his 2021-’22 production in ’23 with by far his finest season. “I see the talent in that guy but he has been an underachiever,” a third scout said. “Makeup-wise, it’s a little bit of a concern. He’ll go top 40. He’s just got too much.”

Xavier Worthy, Texas (5-11, 165): Records aren’t available from the early years of the combine that dates to the mid-1980s. His 4.21 clocking in Indianapolis was regarded as the fastest in recent years. “I compared him to Jaylen Waddle,” said one scout. “When they try to press him it’s (tough). Plus, he averaged 16.9 on punt returns. Only negative I had was the weight.” Extreme three-year production. “He’s got height — he’s just skinny,” a second scout said. “He’s like a taller Hollywood Brown. If you’re looking for a vertical big-play guy he’s the guy.” His vertical jump (41 inches) and broad jump (10-11) also ranked among the top five among wideouts. “You kind of have to have a special role for him,” one scout said. “He’s not going to be an every-down, let’s-get-this-guy-running-slants-all-day guy. His hands are a little suspect. He’s a Will Fuller kind of guy. That (Waddle) is a pretty good comparison. If he jumps out and runs a 4.3 somebody (team) will go crazy, which I think he might.”

Adonai Mitchell, Texas (6-2, 205): Undoubtedly shocked some personnel men by running a blistering 4.34. “It’ll depend on his speed,” one scout said Feb. 7. “He was more of the possession receiver and Xavier Worthy was more explosive. He’s something like Brian Thomas. All he does is catch the ball and gain yards. Good in traffic. He couldn’t get on the field at Georgia so he left. Had a good season.” Caught just 38 passes in two seasons for the two-time CFP champion Bulldogs but four were for touchdowns in playoff games. “He’s a big dude. Sneaky with his routes,” said a second scout. “Really good feel for using his body. He can change directions for a big guy. Can make big-time plays in the air. Knows how to get deep, setting up people by being strong in the middle.” His 11-4 broad jump led the position. “More third round,” said another scout who, of course, spoke last month (Feb. 28). “More of a perimeter player. He is a pretty talented athlete.”

Xavier Legette, South Carolina (6-1, 221): Played five years in Columbia, starting 32 of 53 games. “He reminds me of A.J. Brown,” one scout said. “Physical, strong, competitive, can run. He’s the one you think, ‘What are people missing on this guy?’ Kind of a late bloomer. He is talented.” Followed an impressive week at the Senior Bowl in January with a 4.39 40 and 40-inch vertical jump at the combine. “He’s a big ol’ country kid,” said a second scout. “Naïve, but he’s a good kid. He’s not a real good route runner but he’s big and has really strong hands. He can high-point it down the field as good as anybody. He might sneak into the first but I wouldn’t. I’d damn sure take him in the second.” Most of his 29 kickoff returns came in 2022-’23. Career average was 26.4. “He’s got some intelligence issues that might be a concern,” a third scout said. “But he’s big, physical and can run.”

Keon Coleman, Florida State (6-3, 213): Hard to say how much Coleman’s chances to be a top choice were damaged Saturday with his 4.61 time in the 40. That ranked 29th among the 30 wideouts that participated. “He’s almost 6-3, will run in the 4.4s, is really athletic, has great ball skills,” one scout said. “Big kid, very gifted. Not playing in a super dynamic pro offense. He’s got a little more developing than the other (top) guys but he’s not far off from those guys.” Two scouts regarded him as a surefire selection in the first round. “I don’t think he’s as explosive as the three top guys but he’s really good in traffic and he’s a good punt returner, too,” a second scout said. “He runs, catches and blocks.” Demonstrated his athletic ability with solid results in the vertical (38) and broad (10-7) jumps. Played a year of basketball at Michigan State, where he had a 58-reception season in 2022 before hauling in 11 TDs in ’23 for the Seminoles. “I just don’t see anything there,” a third scout said. “Big guy but doesn’t have any quickness, explosion or speed. Doesn’t separate well. They try to throw all these slip screens to him and he doesn’t have much run after the catch. Just a No. 3 type. Third round. I don’t see a first-round guy whatsoever.”

Troy Franklin, Oregon (6-2, 176): Worked out well in Indy with a 4.41 40 and a 39-inch vertical jump. “He’s kind of in the same mold as the Texas kid (Worthy),” one scout said. “Decent height but skinny. Fast. Kind of hard to play in Oregon’s offense if you’re not fast.” Sixth in the NCAA last season with 1,383 yards. Averaged 17.1 and led the Pacific-12 Conference with 14 receiving TDs. “Solid dude, knows how to play,” said a second scout. “Don’t see much explosiveness or playmaking. You like him in the second or third (rounds).” A third scout said junior Tez Johnson was the most impressive wideout in Eugene last season. “Big-play ability but disappeared in some games,” he said. “I questioned his strength and blocking attitude.”

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tight ends (2)

Brock Bowers, Georgia (6-3, 243): Declined to work out at the combine. “I think he’s better than the kid Atlanta took from Florida (Kyle Pitts),” said one scout. “Not as fast. He’s the most no-brainer, top-10 tight end I’ve seen in a long time. He’s not an outgoing guy. Just goes about his business. Not rah-rah, not a leader, but he’s a hell of a player. His run after the catch is phenomenal.” In three seasons he caught 175 passes for a 14.5 average and 26 TDs. “He runs such good routes,” another scout said. “You wouldn’t think he’d be all that quick but he runs by people. Exceptional athletic ability, strong hands, speed. You’re not going to jam him. You can’t jam. Because he’ll run right through you. He separates.” Underwent Tightrope surgery to repair a high-ankle sprain late in the season and returned 26 days later. “You got this little guy who’s not a really good athlete and you’re saying he’ll be a top-10 pick?” a third scout said. “I just don’t see it. He’s been built up over the last couple years that he’s like Kittle and Kelce. He is not those guys. He is not explosive. He’s not fast. They schemed the hell out of him to get him balls, and he does a good job with that. He does have really good hands when he’s free. But if you’re just talking about a dynamic playmaker — he is not it. He cannot block, either. He looks small small. I bet he’ll be 230. Maybe he’ll beef up and all that.”

Jared Wiley, Texas Christian (6-6, 249): Started 12 of 32 games at Texas from 2019-’21 before making the most of his two seasons with the Horned Frogs. “This is really an interesting guy,” said one scout. “He is really a top receiver and he’s 6-6. He can be a receiving tight end. If he runs 4.7 he could jump up there. It’s tough to find somebody like that.” Clocked 4.62 with a 37-inch vertical jump. “He is the underwear model cover,” a second scout said. “Athletic, really good ball skills. He’s not a conventional ‘Y’ in terms of dominating you with power but his blocking did improve significantly from 2022 to 2023. Travis Kelce is not knocking anybody’s head off as a blocker. You’re being athletic, you’re getting in the way, and that’s a lot like this guy. He was a quarterback in high school. He clearly understands the game. Somebody’s going to get a bargain with him.” His 47 receptions in 2023 ranked fourth among Power Five tight ends.

-

Offensive line (13)

Joe Alt, T, Notre Dame (6-8 ½, 321): His father, Jon, was 6-7, 270 out of Iowa in 1984 when Kansas City drafted him No. 21 in 1984. His 13-year career with the Chiefs included two Pro Bowls. “He’s just like his dad,” one scout said. “Natural left tackle, just smooth like his dad was. I imagine he worked with his dad because his pass technique is just exceptional and he has great pad level as a run blocker.” Played some tight end in 2021 for the Fighting Irish before settling in at LT. “He’s kind of no-frills but he’s a big human,” another scout said. “Probably not the ideal left tackle athlete but he’s good enough. Great kid, clean character. He probably has the least wow of the top three (tackles) but he’s also probably the most consistent performer. He’s a guy that sometimes we try to overthink and talk ourselves out of. He’s like Joe Thomas. He’s pro ready.” Ran 5.05, and his 3-cone of 7.31 ranked third among the O-linemen. Arms were 34 ¼, hands were 10. “Not a real powerful guy at this point but he can really pull,” a third scout said. “He’s only played three years. He’s a true junior. He’s my No. 1 left tackle.”

Olu Fashanu, T, Penn State (6-6, 312): Immediately after finishing his first 40 (5.11) Sunday, he pulled up with a thigh injury and called it a day. Made just eight starts in 2023 because of various injuries. “What’s a little bothering about him is he has not played an entire season healthy,” one scout said. “He had an injury his first year when he was a backup. A concussion. Then he had something else last year and missed five games. This year he was dragging his left leg a little bit starting in the Ohio State game (Oct. 21). Hats off to him for playing. This is a big, powerful human being. He’s probably more of a right tackle than a left tackle if you’re nitpicking but he can do whatever he wants. He’s had one bad game as a pass protector. Great kid. Basically impossible to bull rush. Good run blocker.” For a large man, his hand size (8 ½) was unbelievably small. Arms were 34. “I like him best because he’s nasty,” a second scout said. “He not only is an athlete and strong, with feet and movement, but he likes to put people on the ground. Reminded me of Tony Boselli. The guy’s special.” Performed solidly in both jumps. “Work in progress,” a third scout said. “Not really powerful at the point of attack, not really nimble in space. In pass pro I just don’t see an elite movement guy. If someone takes him and says, ‘Go out there and start,’ they’re going to be in for a lot of heartache.”

Troy Fautanu, G-T, Washington (6-3 ½, 317): Fifth-year senior. “He’s not as tall but he’s about 320 and not an ounce of fat on him,” one scout said. “I really, really like the athlete. I could see him playing left tackle because his pass pro is unreal. Plus, he’s got some prick in him. (Taliese) Fuaga played hard; he’s just not as mean as this guy. The combination of mean and athletic usually doesn’t happen. Usually you’re asking for one or the other. I think he can play left tackle at 6-3 ½ because he compensates with almost 35-inch arms and exceptional feet. Of the top guys, he has the best feet.” Arms were 34 1/2, hands were 9 ½. “He may be the best pure athlete of the whole group,” a second scout said. “I think he’ll end up being a guard because he’s so quick and mobile. He won’t have the height or arm length you want for left tackle but he can play left tackle. I have him in the top 10 picks but I don’t know if you take a guard there. The Colts took that guy from Notre Dame (Quenton Nelson, No. 6, 2018) but I think I can find guards.” Clocked 5.01. His 31 starts included 29 at LT and two at LG. “He’s my No. 1 inside guy,” said a third scout. “He reminds me of Alijah Vera-Tucker that came out of SC. He’s been hurt but he’s a really good player when he’s been healthy. Fautanu is quick as can be, a really good athlete, his balance is awesome, he’s got a jolt to him. He just looks like a guard.”

JC Latham, T, Alabama (6-6, 342): Backed up in 2021 before starting at RT for two seasons. “Mauler,” one scout said. “Cleveland drafted (Jedrick) Wills (2020, No. 10) that I didn’t like but I like this guy. They’re totally different. Down through the years I don’t normally like Alabama offensive linemen that much. Only negative thing about Latham is he played the right side and he’s too nasty for his own good. Everything he does is square. Square run blocking, square pass protect. People don’t move the guy at all.” Latham embarrassingly getting run through by Michigan edge rusher Josaiah Stewart (6-1, 237) to end the national semifinal playoff game has been brought up in draft rooms. “That’s part of the maturity aspect,” a second scout said. “He’s not the same level of professionalism right now that the other two (leading) guys are. There are some slight mental concerns and some immaturity. There’s probably a click more of a bust factor. But he’s got the most upside (compared to Alt and Fashanu). He’s a giant, but he doesn’t play like a slug. It’s going to be, ‘Are you comfortable with the kid? Do you feel you’ll be able to get the best out of him?’” Didn’t run a 40. Arms were 35 1/8, hands were 11. “Here’s a 340-pound dude that’s athletic as can be and built like a damn house and the little guy, No. 5 (Stewart), runs him over,” a third scout said. “That’s the kind of guy he is. I’ve never seen a guy just stand and watch plays as much as this guy. When he’s wired in you see some stuff where he can move, control and bury them. But 95% of the plays he just kind of gets in the way and watches. It’s so frustrating. I wasn’t crazy about the guy from there a couple years ago, Evan Neal, and he turned out to be a disappointment. He’s kind of cut from the same cloth.”

Taliese Fuaga, T, Oregon State (6-6, 324): Four-year player, two-year starter at RT. “He’s probably the next guy just because he’s so big and he’s not a big slug,” one scout said. “He’s a little bit more of a right tackle-guard than left tackle. But he is powerful. He’s a pretty easy mover for such a giant. At the Senior Bowl he looked a little bit more like a Pro Bowl inside player but the school tape is really good at tackle.” Clocked 5.13. “Played right tackle but he can play left,” a second scout said. “Dominant run and pass blocker. He destroyed (Laiatu) Latu of UCLA. I didn’t want to put him up with the other (leading) guys but the more I watched him I had to. He shows leverage, tenacity, nasty. Destroys people. Good pass-block technician. Has a great anchor.” Arms were just 33 1/8, hands were 10 1/8. “I keep trying to like him,” said a third scout. “He’s a solid right tackle only. Not really light on his feet. You need feet to control and sustain. He’s kind of a one-shot guy. If you get (the opponent) initially, you got it. But if he’s got to adjust to sustain I didn’t really see that. For me, he’s second round, but I know where he’s going (first round).”

Jordan Morgan, T, Arizona (6-5, 311): Compared by different scouts to the Vikings’ two starting tackles. “He reminded me of Christian Darrisaw,” one said in reference to Minnesota’s left tackle. “In pass pro he can mirror guys. Light on his feet. Technique-sound, positions easy. He can pull. He can run. Not a powerful guy, but he works at it. He’s my No. 2 tackle.” The. other scout thought of Brian O’Neill, the right tackle in Minnesota. “What he is, he’s a technician with nice feet,” he said. “He isn’t physical. He’s more like Paris Johnson. Excellent pass blocker, adequate run blocker. Natural left tackle. Not as strong or nasty as the other top guys. That guy from Pittsburgh (O’Neill) had no strength at all. People just bounced him around. That’s who this guy is. He has the feet.” Ran 5.04. Arms were just 32 7/8, hands were 10 7/8. “He is the most finesse of all the top guys,” said a third scout. “I don’t think he’s not tough; he’s just a finesse player. He’s really smart with high character. He can probably play all five (positions). If you got him in the second you’d be doing backflips.”

Amarius Mims, T, Georgia (6-7 ½, 340): Spectacular size, superlative arm length (36 1/8), thin resume make him one of the draft’s more intriguing prospects. “He’s a freak talent but I don’t think he started 10 games in his career,” one scout said. “He’s just a giant. You watch some of the stuff he does, it’s horrible. But it wouldn’t surprise me if someone took him in the first based on upside. And it’s not like he’s been sitting behind Joe the Mailman. He’s been playing behind guys that were getting picked high in the draft.” Rotated in 2022, making his first two starts in the playoffs. Career total of eight starts at right tackle. “When Mims played,” a second scout said, “he looked like an athlete with feet. He wasn’t very physical at all.” Clocked 5.07. His short shuttle of 4.33 ranked second among offensive linemen. “He is a project project,” said a third scout. “He is a long, long, long ways away. Not as athletic as people say. Because he looks like an athlete doesn’t mean he is actually athletic. He and Latham are the same: ‘Do you like playing?’ He’s not very aggressive. He can use his length initially to get on guys but doesn’t work to finish, his feet aren’t great, balance is off.” Largest hands (11 ¼) at the position.

Graham Barton, C-G, Duke (6-5, 313): Started five games at center in 2000 when two teammates were injured before starting at LT from 2021-’23. “I don’t think he’ll be a Pro Bowl left tackle but he can play there,” one scout said. “He can be a Pro Bowl center because of his intelligence and athletic ability. You’re getting a really good Swiss Army knife player. He’s a can’t-miss kid. His handicap is lack of length (arms were 32 7/8). He is really athletic. I don’t think he’s going to improve dramatically. That’s not a knock on him. He’s heady. He’s ready to go right now. He’s a lot like some of these linemen from Iowa that come out and are ready to go.” Didn’t run or jump at the combine. Hands were 9 3/8. “He’s got to be a center,” a second scout said. “I give him his due for being a left tackle. He’s got all the technique and all the effort but he is weak and he’s always on the ground. They either wreck him and throw him down, or he just gets stood up. But he fights, he works, he’s got enough athletic ability. No chance at tackle. For guard, I don’t think he’s strong enough. He’s got that classic center profile.”

Tyler Guyton, T, Oklahoma (6-7 ½, 322): Played sparingly at TCU from 2020-’21 before moving to Norman and making 14 starts at RT in 2022-’23. “He’s talented, but there’s some unknowns based on what you see on film,” one scout said. “The film’s not (great) but you’re talking about a 6-7, 330-pound guy with 34-inch arms and a natural athlete. His technique just isn’t very good. Definitely a finesse style. But he can be a starting left tackle. Not a bad kid. You could really hit on him if you’re comfortable with the makeup.” Clocked 5.19. His vertical jump of 34 ½ was fifth best at the position. “He and Mims are similar,” a second scout said. “Gigantic, plays young, too. Not a quick-footed athlete in pass pro. Just another project. He needs a lot of work.” Arms were 34 1/8, hands were 10 ¼.

Patrick Paul, T, Houston (6-7 ½, 331): Made 44 starts at left tackle during a five-year collegiate career. “He looks good,” said one scout. “He looks like an NBA basketball player. He’s an easy mover for such a big guy. You’re going to get pissed about his lack of discipline and technique. You’re going to get pissed because he’s not powerful. Then you have to keep reminding yourself, ‘OK, he’s 6-7, 330, 36 3/8 and he’s gonna play.’ I don’t know how you can pass a guy like this up.” Arms were 36 ¼, hands were 9 3/8. “Love the long arms but a knock-kneed guy,” a second scout said. “Just a limited athlete. Poor technique, hands are wide every snap. Wide, wide. Put your hands inside. Plays top-heavy. Not really a nimble athlete. Just a project because he’s so tall and long. Third or fourth round.” Clocked 5.14.

Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut (6-2 ½, 317): In April 2022, after Haynes had made 24 starts at RG in his first four years in Storrs, the UConn staff and coaches told scouts they weren’t recommending him as an NFL prospect. After a boffo week at the Senior Bowl and a solid showing at the combine, he’s expected to be taken in the first two rounds. “Against Michigan in 2022 they’re getting the **** kicked out of them (59-0) and you’d think the national championship was on the line the way the guy was playing late in the fourth quarter,” said one scout. “He’s going to play pretty early. If he’s your starting guard you’re really happy with him. He’s never played center in a game but I think he could do it. Bad body. If you do him off the body you won’t like him.” The Huskies were 13-48 during Haynes’ five seasons under Randy Edsall and Jim Mora Jr. “You just don’t see people just block and play to the whistle and after the whistle like this guy anymore,” said a second scout. “He’s just an old-school, tough, nasty guy. He is explosive. He can jolt guys at the line of scrimmage. He can really run and pull and adjust. In pass pro, he can slide, change directions. He holds a little bit too much, but that’s just his over-exuberance. I just love his attitude.” Clocked 5.03 with a 33-inch vertical. Arms were 33 ½, hands were small at 9.

Kiran Amegadjie, T, Yale (6-5, 323): Played just four early games in 2023 before suffering a season-ending injury. “Now they were four good games,” one scout said. “I already liked his stuff from 2022 but I thought he showed a step in development (this year). That (missing games) will hurt him in addition to Yale and being raw. But I don’t see how you pass him in the second round. He’s too big and talented. Oh, God, he can do whatever he wants. Still growing as a player. He really didn’t see himself as a professional football player until before his junior year. Of all the top guys he’s probably got the most development necessary, but he’s really talented. You get this guy in the right place with the right coach and you could really have something.” Played LT for the Bulldogs but also has worked at guard. “I don’t get it,” a second scout said. “He’s a good-looking kid for the Ivy League. It’s like he shouldn’t be there. But he wasn’t a dominant, productive player in the Ivy League. If you’re from a small school you’ve got to kick ***. He just kind of blends in.” Didn’t run or test at the combine. Arms were 36 1/8, hands were 9 5/8.

Tanor Bortolini, C-G, Wisconsin (6-4, 303): Worked out as well if not better than any offensive lineman in Indianapolis. His 40 of 4.94 tied for second best whereas his times in the two agility runs (4.28 short shuttle, 7.16 3-cone) were first. “Really good athlete,” one scout said. “Not real physical. Strength is just OK. He can hold up. He’s got some anchor. He’s just very, very smooth. He’s really good as a zone-type blocker. Second-level, downfield. Real good technician. I’ve got him in the second round.” Started 27 of 35 games, including 13 at center, 13 at guard and one at tight end. “I’m not sure he isn’t better than (Oregon’s Jackson) Powers-Johnson,” said a second scout. “But he’s got (short) arms. I think he’s probably a center only. He can probably be a pretty good center. Third round.” Arms were just 31 ½, hands were 10.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Running backs (2)

Trey Benson, Florida State (6-0, 216): Helped himself considerably by running the 40 in 4.39 despite being one of the larger backs in the draft. “He could go in the top 60,” one scout said. “If you need one you’ve got to take one at some point. He’s a viable second-round talent. He’s not that great in the passing game. He’s not a real natural catcher. He’s not a hammer. He’s not lacking toughness. He’s more slippery. But he is fast and sudden, got really good feet and hits home runs. No wasted motion in his running style. He’s got a chance to be a pretty good player.” Underwent reconstructive knee surgery in October 2020 during his first year at Oregon. Carried just six times in 2021 before transferring to FSU. In two seasons as a Seminole he gained 1,896 yards, averaged 6.1 and scored 23 TDs. His career reception total was merely 33. “Another big back who runs hard and with vision,” a second scout said. “But he has no juice, no quickness, no explosiveness.” The 4.39 ranked third among running backs.

Jonathon Brooks, Texas (6-0, 216): Backed up Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson in 2021-’22, carrying just 51 times. Began 2023 behind C.J. Baxter but when the freshman was injured, Brooks made the most of his chance. “He was almost a carbon copy of Bijan Robinson last year,” said one scout. “He not only can run but he’s a big-time receiver. He’s explosive.” Gained 1,139 yards and averaged 6.1 in 11 games before suffering a torn ACL Nov. 11 against TCU. “He’s hurt but he’s good,” a second scout said. “Any other year he’d be a first-round dude. He does everything. He catches, he runs, he’s got vision, he’s smooth. He’s got big-play ability. He’ll pound it in as well. He’s just a really good player with a very versatile skill set … I was never a huge Bijan guy so I don’t think there’s that much of a difference.

-

Quarterbacks (6)

Caleb Williams, Southern California (6-1, 214):
Won the Heisman Trophy in 2022, failed to finish among the top 10 in 2023. “The ultimate playmaker but he can play within a system, too,” one scout said.

“He has. He can throw on timing. He just has rare feel for the game and playmaking. That team was horrible around him. The offensive line was atrocious. He’s worth the first pick. The (Patrick) Mahomes comparisons are unfair because you shouldn’t put that on anybody, but when he does a lot of the crazy stuff it looks like him. He’s Mahomes (but) he can get the yards running.” Declined to undergo medical tests or work out at the combine. Hands were 9 ¾. “If you go to the Notre Dame game (Oct. 14), where they put some pressure on the guy, his mechanics were awful and he just goes wild against them,” said a second scout. “He had problems in games where they put pressure on him. Talented athlete with a strong arm and big-play ability. Reminds me of Kyler Murray. More of a playground type. Better athlete than passer. Guys like this that play out of the pocket get injured. He’s a Lincoln Riley guy. I think Lincoln Riley is a myth.” Played for Riley at Oklahoma as a freshman after replacing Spencer Rattler in mid-October before joining the coach in LA. “He’s a generational kid but he’s by no means a 100% kid,” a third scout said. “He’s got a lot going on. His dad’s a pain in the ***. He’s got a management team. He’s supposedly going to do nothing (at the combine), not even get the medical. It’s not the kid. It’s other people. This is a guy who will fly to Milan for a fashion show. Other interests are great. It’s just the one position where if I hear a guy has a ton of other interests … to be a franchise QB1 in today’s world I don’t want a robot but a lot of outside interests concern me. But, talent-wise, it’s him and there’s a significant step down.” His exact height was 6-1 1/8.

Jayden Daniels, Louisiana State (NA): Not only declined to work out at the combine but also refused to be measured. “He’s No. 2,” said one scout. “It’s close (with Williams), much closer than No. 2 and No. 3 (Drake Maye). You saw it when he was a freshman at Arizona State. He had something to him. He can take one play and just blow it out. His arm is incredible. He’s got vision and poise in the pocket. He’s got rare escapability. Competitive and productive. I compared him a little bit more to Lamar (Jackson) than Mahomes. When he takes off, kind of like Lamar, it’s 60 yards. He has a more natural throwing motion than Lamar. He’s legit.” Won the Heisman in 2023, his second season for LSU. Had an excellent freshman year for the Sun Devils but then showed signs of regression in 2020-’21. “I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anybody like him,” said one seasoned scout. “He could be a running back. He was the closest thing I’ve seen to Mahomes but he actually might be better because he’s faster and a better runner and a much better pure athlete. Mahomes is a good athlete.” Demonstrated vast improvement in his final season. “That guy bothers me just because his short-to-medium passes he misses horribly,” said a third scout. “He can throw the deep ball but he had two of the best receivers in all of LSU history. Yeah, he can run, except he’s not very big. I think he may get broken in two. To me, he’s more athlete than quarterback. I wouldn’t take the guy in the first.”

Drake Maye, North Carolina (6-4, 223): Finished 10th in the Heisman vote in 2022 but wasn’t among the top 10 in 2023. The Tar Heels were 9-5 in 2022 and 8-5 last year. Backed up Sam Howell as a freshman. “He’s No. 3 (on the list) but I haven’t seen much improvement,” one scout said. “He really didn’t raise the level of that program. That last game, I’ve never seen a quarterback who’s supposed to be a top guy have absolutely no answers for a team (North Carolina State). I always had concerns that he couldn’t raise his level, but that just cemented it. He shrunk under just the pressure and the gravity of what was going on around him. He’s got an arm. He can move around. But everything is just flashes. Nothing is consistent. It’s all flashes. Doesn’t have a very good feel for the game. There’s a little bit of Drew Lock in him.” His athletic ability and stature brought up memories of John Elway for another scout. “He can flick the ball the length of the field,” he said. “Has accuracy in and out of the pocket. This was not a good team. He had a lot of pressure on him most games. He was the whole team.” Didn’t work out at the combine. Hands were 9 1/8. “He’s only started two years,” said a third scout. “He’s still growing. They don’t drill fundamentals at all. But he’s big, good enough arm, smart, really accurate. I don’t know he’s going to be dynamic but guys like him win Super Bowls. He’s a pocket passer but he’s not a statue. I don’t think he’s Tom Brady but he’s in the Tom Brady church as far as style of player. You’re not going to miss on the kid, either. Super competitive family. Youngest of four brothers, all of whom were college athletes. Kid knows how to work.”

Bo Nix, Oregon (6-2, 214): Third in the Heisman voting last year. “Would it surprise me if he was drafted in the first round?” one scout said. “No. He’s more second round, but worse talented guys than him have been drafted in the first. He has more talent than Kenny Pickett. I think you can win with Bo Nix. He has improved himself tremendously since he left Auburn, both as a quarterback and as a person.” Named Southeastern Conference freshman of the year in 2019, his first of three seasons as the starter for the Tigers. Started two years at Oregon, enjoying his finest season in 2023 with 45 TD passes compared to three interceptions. “He’s smart like Alex Smith,” a second scout said. “I think he’ll start. He doesn’t make mistakes. Good athlete, good arm strength. He improved a lot. At Auburn, he was just all over the place. He’s a very disciplined quarterback. They did a very good job with him at Oregon. They have a system there and he worked perfect in it. He’s accurate at what they asked him to do at Oregon but they didn’t throw outside the numbers. Kenny Pickett is better.” Didn’t work out at the combine. Hands were 10 1/8. “I feel I’ve seen this guy for 10 years,” said a third scout. “I’ve always questioned how well he feels the game, his moxie and poise. He got to Oregon and that system and everything’s just like a gimme. I just think he’s really scattered. Good enough athlete. If things break down he panics. Just a huge question mark.”

J.J. McCarthy, Michigan (6-2 ½, 219): Tenth in Heisman voting. Voted MVP by his teammates in mid-December before two playoff victories raised his career mark to 27-1. “He’s a good player,” one scout said. “I just don’t know he’s ever going to be any more than he is right now. Somebody said (Jim) Harbaugh loves him because he’s basically Harbaugh. He’s f—king gritty, strong defense, strong running game. Bo Nix is significantly better, and I like (Spencer) Rattler better than both of them.” Did throw during combine drills but didn’t run or test. “I like him as a short-to-intermediate passer,” a second scout said. “He’s smart. He’ll distribute the ball. But I don’t see him as a guy who will win a game.” Saw limited duty as a freshman behind Cade McNamara before claiming the job in Game 2 of 2022. “I like J.J. but are you really going to take this guy in the first round?” a third scout said. “A guy that throws 15 times a game? They just keep him out of the way and they run the ball and play D. I just don’t think he’s a real talented guy. He’s tough as hell. He’s a winner and all that, but as far as quarterback talent and vision … He’s a one-read, simple read guy. Half-field. Even with that his accuracy is a little bit off. He’s a good enough athlete but nothing where you’re saying this guy’s dynamic. Throws everything hard. I just don’t see a very talented dude.” His 9-inch hands were the smallest of the 13 quarterbacks measured at the combine. “I just think that he’s a guy,” a fourth scout said. “More of a game manager. Their game is all play-action. Teams (crowded) the box most of the time. He is good outside the pocket. The receivers run around and come back to him. Holds the ball. Inconsistent mechanics. Of the six games I watched he had seven tipped balls. I questioned his touch. Michigan’s coaching was so good. They knew what every one of their players could and could not do … Thinking back, he’s kind of like his coach. Jim moved around. He wasn’t a great passer but he found ways to win. McCarthy is more physically gifted than Harbaugh but it’s the same mentality. You’re not going to make mistakes. Play outside the pocket.”

Michael Penix, Washington (6-2 ½, 217): Second in Heisman voting in 2023, eighth in ’22. “He’s No. 4 on the list,” one scout said. “If it was before Michigan got a hold of him, I’d have him over Maye. But in that last game every flaw he had got exposed. Thing was, the game before (against Texas), it was the best game he’s played. Off that game this guy was top-10. I saw the movement I never saw during the year. They rolled him. He ran. Then Michigan, it was the scattered throws, he didn’t have escapability like you want him to have. But I love his production. He has really good feel and vision. He has confidence in his arm. He needs some more touch. Just the overall movement is a little bit of a concern. He’s got the best deep ball I’ve seen. He can throw down the field better than he can throw 5-yard routes … The medical will all come into play. That’s scary.” Suffered season-ending injuries four times, all as an Indiana Hoosier. The list included right ACL in 2018 and another in ’20, dislocated non-throwing shoulder in ’20 and damaged throwing shoulder in ’21 that required surgery. “He doesn’t do that much for me,” a second scout said. “He’s had a lot of injuries. He won’t last.” His NFL passer ratings were 87.9 at Indiana and 105.4 at Washington. “I can’t get the damn Indiana tape out of my mind,” said a third scout. “It was real bad. Now I give the kid credit. He changed scenery and kind of reinvented himself and had a hell of a team this year. He played in a system he was comfortable with and a coach (Kalen DeBoer) he had played for. But his mechanics just throwing the ball are bizarre. He’s got arm strength, big hands and he can fling it. He’s got like a weird sidearm short release. Accuracy’s up and down. I don’t know how tough this kid is. He shows you fringe starter talent and barely No. 3 talent. But there are so many quarterback gurus and experts that, ‘Oh, if I get my hands on him I can do this.’ So it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s picked in the second. I sure in hell wouldn’t pick him there.” Hands were 10 ½, largest for the position.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im surprised they dont have Frazier. Some people think he could go as high as R1. Do people have Bortolino over him?

Seems these scouts like Paul more than Mims and Guyton

Brooks has Dallas in the 2nd written all over him. No injury and he probably goes R1.

Leggette is a name to watch in R1 IMO

Mr_437

Reaction score
Only 2 RBs and TEs interesting. Mid round pick may get you a solid RB2. Good to see TE Wiley getting some respect.

RS12

Reaction score
Fautanu in round one, Benson in round two.
Saw him play at least 6 or 7 times last fall. In another thread I made the point that I think he could play LT at least as well as Tyler Smith did and some buffoon scoffed at that. Has the mobility of a much smaller player. Easily gets second level, and when he does, he obliterates targets. I see him as being one of the safest picks in the draft, and I think like Barton could play any OL position and play it well. I am intrigued by Mims but would not be unhappy at all with Troy Fautanau.

Last edited:

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Saw him play at least 6 or 7 times last fall. In another thread I made the point that I think he could play LT at least as well as Tyler Smith did and some buffoon scoffed at that. Has the mobility of a much smaller player. Easily gets second level, and when he does, he obliterates targets. I see him as being one of the safest picks in the draft, and I think like Barton could play any OL position and play it well. I am intrigued by Mims but would not be unhappy at all with Troy Fautanau.
I agree..

RS12

Reaction score
This much is clear, some of the people McGinn is supposedly talking to are complete dunces.
The Cowboys aren't the only team with rampant nepotism and cronyism. There are plenty of unqualified people with good paying jobs in the NFL who got them based on the first sentence.