McQuistan can't be plugged into Kosier's position?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So.... basically....

The GREAT Hudson Houck doesnt have anything to work with then... I guess.....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
YoMick;2441245 said:
So.... basically....

The GREAT Hudson Houck doesnt have anything to work with then... I guess.....

but but but ... Houck is the best OL coach ever and we were stupid to ever let him go and how could we be that stupid and damn that Bill Parcells.

I think that covers it.

BHendri5

Reaction score
He's a Parcell's find and we all know about Parcells OL findings, except for Colombo

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I always thought that physically he looks more like a tackle, but then again so does Davis.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Bergermeister, MeisterBerger has been hanging around on this roster for how many years, Proctor has been a career backup, Free and McQ can't even crack the backup role to pusher Berbermeister and Proctor off the roster and we played Flo with a bad hand and a bad neck stinger...if you don't feel uneasy about our line depth after that, you never will....:mad:

Berger and Proctor stink, why we can't at least see if the kids can play is totally beyond me...we only play backups when there is no one else on the bench to play or we are going through a 4-12 season....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BHendri5;2441274 said:
He's a Parcell's find and we all know about Parcells OL findings, except for Colombo

Bill made Flo and Gurode into pro bowl players. Gurode was on the scrap heap at one point. Bill also brought in Kosier who everyone now knows is pretty good. Add in Columbo and he's played a huge role in acquiring or developing 4 of our 5 starters. Yeah, crap job.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2441305 said:
Bill made Flo and Gurode into pro bowl players. Gurode was on the scrap heap at one point. Bill also brought in Kosier who everyone now knows is pretty good. Add in Columbo and he's played a huge role in acquiring or developing 4 of our 5 starters. Yeah, crap job.

Gurode was a guy who needed some extra time to develop - don't think you can put that one on Parcells.

Flo was inconsistent and continues to be so. Probably the best thing that happened to Flo was getting rid of Solomon Page.

As far as Columbo goes, full props to Parcells on that one.

Kosier was also a BP guy and has been good and underappreciated until this year.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2441268 said:
but but but ... Houck is the best OL coach ever and we were stupid to ever let him go and how could we be that stupid and damn that Bill Parcells.

I think that covers it.
Reminds me of the Hoffman debates. I have no idea how Folk got so good at FGs without the great one here to coach him

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;2441359 said:
Gurode was a guy who needed some extra time to develop - don't think you can put that one on Parcells.

Who gave him that time?

Eskimo;2441359 said:
Flo was inconsistent and continues to be so. Probably the best thing that happened to Flo was getting rid of Solomon Page.

He was and is. But his play before BP and after BP is night and day.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2441361 said:
Reminds me of the Hoffman debates. I have no idea how Folk got so good at FGs without the great one here to coach him
Hoffman only worked with off the street no name kickers.

Folk actually got scouted and drafted.

Reaction score
Didn't we keep like 18 lineman (exageration) coming out of preseason...we only went to cleveland with 3 receivers...and none of them can play this position apparently...

wow

burmafrd

Reaction score
McQ was a pretty good guard in college- I really am surprised he cannot do it here at all.
Bailey, if you think they are not playing holland because of the money you really are out to lunch. Do you REALLY think that if he was good enough they would NOT play him and risk losing games, the season, ROMO?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
arglebargle;2440783 said:
The real problem is the possibility that Proctor really is the best player they can put out there at LG. In which case, the Cowboys need a lot of new blood on the line....

Phillips said when he named Proctor the starter that he did so because Proctor was least likely to make a mental mistake, or play with bad technique. In other words, we have better options talentwise, but those guys are going to make mental/technique mistakes that will get our QB killed.

Neither Holland nor McQ appears to be the sharpest spoon in the woodshed. McQ showed that when we tried to make him an option at guard in the preseason. ... Now, I'm not sure why Free isn't being considered an option, unless he just lacks the power to handle the job. (The knock on him coming out was that he plays with a narrow base, and that doesn't really appear to have changed.)

As far as the other backup lineman goes, Berger showed none of that strength he's supposed to have in the preseason and Proctor was easily a better option than him.

Truth is, we've got to go after some interior backups in the off-season because what we've got is inadequate.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2441528 said:
Hoffman only worked with off the street no name kickers.

As I've pointed out before. The vast majority of kickers in the NFL are off the street no name kickers.

The only thing that Hoffman had going for him was that the Dallas Morning News reporters ran out of stuff to write about and chose to become his de facto PR department.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2441513 said:
Who gave him that time?

Mostly just coincidence. He had just finished his rookie campaign when BP came here. He then really regressed the next couple of years before starting to get better after we got rid of Tucker. No credit to BP on this one - I think he also kept him out of his natural position for a couple of years while trying to make something out of Al Johnson - another failed BP OL.

He was and is. But his play before BP and after BP is night and day.

He was only really bad the year before BP came here and that was probably due to the terrible OL coach (? Verducci) and a large number of OL injuries that year. Flo was good before BP and has been good after him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;2441641 said:
Mostly just coincidence. He had just finished his rookie campaign when BP came here. He then really regressed the next couple of years before starting to get better after we got rid of Tucker. No credit to BP on this one - I think he also kept him out of his natural position for a couple of years while trying to make something out of Al Johnson - another failed BP OL.

Gurode was unable to beat out Johnson. What does that say about him? When Gurode finally did perform, he put AJ on the bench. Gurode had chance after chance and was at the point that nobody wanted him when he was UFA. Yet he became a pro bowl player under BP. You can refuse to give BP credit there but you are only doing so to make your point.

Eskimo;2441641 said:
He was only really bad the year before BP came here and that was probably due to the terrible OL coach (? Verducci) and a large number of OL injuries that year. Flo was good before BP and has been good after him.

And what did BP do after his crap season? He gave him a huge contract b/c he thought he could make something of Flo. Again, refusing to give credit is just you trying to make your point.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BP was the only one on the staff that wanted to give Gurode one more shot at center. He figured that the bad influence that Tucker seemed to have on him was gone and decided to give him one more shot.
Just after he got here, BP convinced Jerrah to give Flo his first big contract (rumor has it Jerrah was going to let Flo walk).
Colombo is completely on BP since no one else in the league was interested.
And Kosier was BP's pick all the way. So 4 of the 5 starting O linemen are honestly BP's influence.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2441599 said:
As I've pointed out before. The vast majority of kickers in the NFL are off the street no name kickers.

The only thing that Hoffman had going for him was that the Dallas Morning News reporters ran out of stuff to write about and chose to become his de facto PR department.

And yet, the great Bill Parcells had a chance to jettison Hoffman's "overrated" can for the SECOND time but chose not to.

Parcells had a horrific time finding a kicker when he was with the Cowboys, causing Jerry to finally greatly overpay Vanderjagt. The kicking game was the one area that did NOT need to be "fixed" before his arrival in Dallas.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
BAT;2441785 said:
And yet, the great Bill Parcells had a chance to jettison Hoffman's "overrated" can for the SECOND time but chose not to.

Parcells had a horrific time finding a kicker when he was with the Cowboys, causing Jerry to finally greatly overpay Vanderjagt. The kicking game was the one area that did NOT need to be "fixed" before his arrival in Dallas.

Pre Parcells

2002 Cundiff 62% on FGs

2001 Hilbert 68% Seder 64%

2000 Seder 75%

1999 Cunningham 54%

Yeah we were golden at kicker, no need to fix that

burmafrd

Reaction score
The stats showed that Hoffman got decent performances out of cheap kickers. Frankly that is not good enough.