McShay Invitational Draft and Trade Chatter Thread

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As GM of the Jaguars there were not many positions of STRENGTH on this team. My senile old predecessor Tom Coighlin has systematically dismantled a championship level team.
Luckily I had some good draft collateral enabling me to both go with my board AND be aggressive if I needed to be.

1(9) MEKHI BECTON - If Okudah had dropped another place i would have taken him but i didn't expect him to last until 8 anyway. Becton is my top rated OT in this draft, his ENORMOUS bulk coupled with huge wing span, strong hands and feet of a man 80lbs lighter he starts day 1 for me and is capable and has experience on the left and right side of the line. Number 6 rated guy on my board so value meets need.

1(17) - JUSTIN HERBERT, QB - even before selecting Becton at #9 I had reached out to @Killerinstinct before his trade up about a potential move from 20 to dallas spot at 17.
Herbert surprisingly didn't go to Miami or the Chargers and I knew he had the chance to slip all the way to Miami at 18. Especially if he didn't get picked at #12 by Vegas.
I was pretty sure I had to leapfrog Miami and then Dallas moved up. When we got to about pick 15 I began talking to @KingintheNorth about moving to the 17th pick he now owned.
I offered a deal, he countered and I gave up two comp 4ths and a 5th to move up three places and select my QB of the future. The trade was fair on both teams in terms of value but for me to get my leader for the next ten years was more than worth it. When you have the chance to get your franchise QB you simply have to do it. Forsnt have to start day 1, can sit behind Minshew wo can give me future trade value.

2(42) ROSS BLACKLOCK DT - my third rated DT somehow fell to 42. HOW? I expect him to go late round 1 on Thursday because he is a penetrating 3t. Blend of quickness and power adds value because he can play from the NT out to 5t in multiple fronts. Day 1 starter after Camobrll left.

3(71) JOSH UCHE EDGE - another high on my board, my 4th rated pure edge rusher. Can team with last years rookie sensation Josh Allen to firm a bookend of young athletic pass rushers and along with Blacklock we now have our DL as a strength again. Another building block in building the trenches.

4(116) REGGIE ROBINSON II , CB - corner was my glaring hole. If I'd not moved up for Herbert in round 1 I would have selected AJ Terrell. Rounds two and three didnt offer me much value at this position at the time and I even was concerned entering round 4. Two lower rated CBs on my board went off the board just before I picked leaving me with this guy. Height, length, speed, and can play the ball. A little raw but can help in sub packages in year 1 and start outside in year 2. Has experience playing both zone and press so should have a good idea of the scheme we run.

Overall I couldn't be happier with this haul.

Londonboy

Reaction score
As GM of the Jaguars there were not many positions of STRENGTH on this team. My senile old predecessor Tom Coighlin has systematically dismantled a championship level team.
Luckily I had some good draft collateral enabling me to both go with my board AND be aggressive if I needed to be.

1(9) MEKHI BECTON - If Okudah had dropped another place i would have taken him but i didn't expect him to last until 8 anyway. Becton is my top rated OT in this draft, his ENORMOUS bulk coupled with huge wing span, strong hands and feet of a man 80lbs lighter he starts day 1 for me and is capable and has experience on the left and right side of the line. Number 6 rated guy on my board so value meets need.

1(17) - JUSTIN HERBERT, QB - even before selecting Becton at #9 I had reached out to @Killerinstinct before his trade up about a potential move from 20 to dallas spot at 17.
Herbert surprisingly didn't go to Miami or the Chargers and I knew he had the chance to slip all the way to Miami at 18. Especially if he didn't get picked at #12 by Vegas.
I was pretty sure I had to leapfrog Miami and then Dallas moved up. When we got to about pick 15 I began talking to @KingintheNorth about moving to the 17th pick he now owned.
I offered a deal, he countered and I gave up two comp 4ths and a 5th to move up three places and select my QB of the future. The trade was fair on both teams in terms of value but for me to get my leader for the next ten years was more than worth it. When you have the chance to get your franchise QB you simply have to do it. Forsnt have to start day 1, can sit behind Minshew wo can give me future trade value.

2(42) ROSS BLACKLOCK DT - my third rated DT somehow fell to 42. HOW? I expect him to go late round 1 on Thursday because he is a penetrating 3t. Blend of quickness and power adds value because he can play from the NT out to 5t in multiple fronts. Day 1 starter after Camobrll left.

3(71) JOSH UCHE EDGE - another high on my board, my 4th rated pure edge rusher. Can team with last years rookie sensation Josh Allen to firm a bookend of young athletic pass rushers and along with Blacklock we now have our DL as a strength again. Another building block in building the trenches.

4(116) REGGIE ROBINSON II , CB - corner was my glaring hole. If I'd not moved up for Herbert in round 1 I would have selected AJ Terrell. Rounds two and three didnt offer me much value at this position at the time and I even was concerned entering round 4. Two lower rated CBs on my board went off the board just before I picked leaving me with this guy. Height, length, speed, and can play the ball. A little raw but can help in sub packages in year 1 and start outside in year 2. Has experience playing both zone and press so should have a good idea of the scheme we run.

Overall I couldn't be happier with this haul.
Nice haul, I thought Becton was the best T too, some nice cogs to add to the D rebuild (hard to believe how quickly that D went South).
Wish You'd taken My trade offer though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Some really good drafts

Not sure if we'll grade all 32 teams this year--privately. If we do, a reminder is that we always take into account what each GM did with the draft capital provided.
So having early picks doesn't help vs a team that has no 1st round picks at all, because getting good players is expected.
If that makes sense.

Kind of doubt we'll go through that whole process this year unless there's an overwhelming urge to do so.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Some really good drafts

Not sure if we'll both to grade all 32 teams this year--privately. If we do, a reminder is that we always take into account what each GM did with the draft capital provided.
So having early picks doesn't help vs a team that has no 1st round picks at all, because getting good players is expected.
If that makes sense.

Kind of doubt we'll go through that whole process this year unless there's an overwhelming urge to do so.
Soon We'll see what the Pro's do, be good to compare the 2.

tm1119

Reaction score
Jefferson taken @ 22, I took him @ 21
Terrell taken @ 16, I took him @ 24
Lynch taken @ 130, I took him @ 77
Taylor taken @ 48, I took him @ 95
Bartch @ 116 , I took him @ 118

Over-drafted Lynch and got a very good pick in Taylor. Also feel justified in my trade up for Terrell, made the right call for the clear 3rd best CB. Jefferson and Bartch almost spot on...all that according to their draft slots at least.

I had my eyes on Elliot @ 77 and didn’t love anyone else that was available after he went, couldn’t trade back either. I like Lynch and think he will play up to a 3rd round value, but it was a reach for need. In retrospect I should have doubled up on WR with Bowden or Edwards for better value.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Dealing with some things.

We all got problems. Mock.

Both my wife and 8-year old daughter are still feeling the effects of coming down with this virus. I've spent the last two weeks doing whatever I could to help them through it. So, I apologise to all for blowing this mock off. I had alerts setup on my cell to remind me of this and even had a full page of notes so that I was prepared. I just didn't have the time to even turn my phone on.

Thanks OP for respecting my privacy and not sharing all of the details. Much respect and you're truly someone with whom I can now trust. Thanks!

Sorry again folks. Hope it was as fun as it sounded.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Both my wife and 8-year old daughter are still feeling the effects of coming down with this virus. I've spent the last two weeks doing whatever I could to help them through it. So, I apologise to all for blowing this mock off. I had alerts setup on my cell to remind me of this and even had a full page of notes so that I was prepared. I just didn't have the time to even turn my phone on.

Thanks OP for respecting my privacy and not sharing all of the details. Much respect and you're truly someone with whom I can now trust. Thanks!

Family comes 1st, hope They come through this O.K, would've have enjoyed Your input, but not at the expense of neglecting Your family.
Many thanks for the explanation.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Hope they are feeling better real soon.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Carolina Panthers
1-7: Derrick Brown, DT (Auburn)
2-38: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE (Penn State)
2-64: Jeremy Chinn, DB (Southern Illinois)
4-113: Troy Pride Jr., CB (Notre Dame)
5-152: Kenny Robinson, S (West Virginia)
6-184: Bravvion Roy, DT (Baylor)
7-221: Stantley Thomas-Oliver III, CB (Florida International)

Almost nailed the Panthers picks.....Was trying to trade up for Pride...but couldn't get it done. Settled for another CB in Holmes.

1/7. Carolina- Derrick Brown....nailed
2/38. Carolina- Michael Pittman JR.....went to the Colts 2/33
3/69. Carolina - Jeremy Chinn, S.....nailed
4/113. Carolina - Darnay Holmes, CB.....went to Giants 4/110.
4/140. Carolina - Colby Parkinson TE...went to Seattle 4/133.