McShay Invitational Draft and Trade Chatter Thread

Plankton

Reaction score
The Dolphins went into this draft with a lot of draft capital, and even more roster holes. Save for the starting wide receivers, starting corners and inside linebackers, the Dolphins are talent bereft at nearly every level of their team. This draft needed to be a Noah's Ark kind of draft - two of these, two of these and so on. The advantage to having a lot of draft capital and so many holes makes it easier to select - there's not too many situations where you can take a player who doesn't fill a need of some kind, regardless of the position. In free agency, the team added Byron Jones to give them a top flight cover guy opposite Xavien Howard, and also went to Brian Flores' Patriot past in signing Kyle Van Noy and Elandon Roberts to help shore up the linebacker position (where they already had good contributors in Jerome Baker and Raekwon McMillan), as well as Ted Karras as a hold the fort option at center. They also signed Ereck Flowers to play left guard for them, and Jordan Howard to give them a thumper at running back. On the immediate horizon, they are in dire need of a quarterback of the future, a younger, steadier running back, fixing a horrendous offensive line, adding an edge pass rusher, a run stopper inside on defense, and a safety to replace Reshad Jones. Here's how things shook out:

Round 1 (5) - Tristan Wirfs - OT Iowa - I ran a number of mock draft simulations, and it became clear that there wasn't going to be one of the top OT prospects available at #18. The Dolphins are a team returning Julien Davenport and Jesse Davis as their starting tackles, so that's a no go, especially if you plan on adding a young QB. I also wasn't enamored with using a top five pick on a huge injury risk in Tua Tagovailoa. I love the talent, but I can't trust his ability to stay healthy, and with a top five pick, I need certainty. There was also no chance of me reaching for Justin Herbert at #5 to fill a need, nor was I going to do that with Jordan Love this early. I reasoned that there was a better chance of me getting a quarterback at my second pick (who will need development time, regardless of the player) than a top tackle. Tua went at #2, so that temptation was removed immediately. Where I hesitated a bit was when Isaiah Simmons slid to be available at #5. While I love Simmons as a player, with the reinforcements already signed at linebacker, and his abilities lending themselves to him playing closer to the line of scrimmage (and not at safety), I went with the top tackle on my board in Wirfs. Wirfs is well schooled by Kirk Ferentz in how to play the OL, and was the first Iowa player under Ferentz to start at tackle as a freshman. He is technically sound, a fantastic athletic specimen, and just turned 21 years old, so he will be there for a long time. He has the ability to play either tackle, or could slide into guard, so it's only a question of where he will end up playing. He was who I went into this exercise expecting to pick at #5.

Round 1 (18) - Jordan Love - QB Utah State - I had discussions about possibly moving up into the higher teens prior to the draft, but when I saw that Herbert or Love didn't go in the top 10, I rolled the dice that there would be one of them available. For me, it was literally a coin flip between the two of them, and when Herbert went one pick ahead of me, I was content to take Love. Love is another 21 year old player that flashed real playmaking skills as a sophomore, but regressed in his junior year when there was a coaching staff change and many of his targets from 2018 left school. Love has a good arm, good mobility, and can make plays on the fly. He needs some maturity improvements (got popped for marijuana possession the day after he declared for the draft), but should have a good mentor in Ryan Fitzpatrick. From a developmental standpoint, having a mentor like Fitzpatrick, wideouts like DeVante Parker and Preston Williams and a pass catching tight end like Mike Gesicki should give him a nice young corps to grow with.

Round 1 (25) - Xavier McKinney - FS Alabama - This was a trade that DFWJC came to me with that allowed me to move up and get the top safety on the board, and still keep my final first round pick in exchange for my first second round pick and my third (with me getting a late third back in return). Taking McKinney was a no brainer for me - he was good value at this slot, and provides a steady leader in the back four. Reshad Jones left a big hole at safety, and McKinney's range and intelligence should work well within Flores' defense. He's another 21 year old player (sense a theme here?) who will be an anchor for the defense for a while. Another hole checked off the list.

Round 1 (26) - Austin Jackson - OT USC - In doing the mock simulations prior to this event, I saw some value in doubling up at tackle to provide bookends for the quarterback that I would take. This trade allowed me to fulfill this desire to set the stage for a young QB to have success. Jackson is another athletic, quick footed player who was slowed at the beginning of last year following donating blood marrow, but his play really picked up at the end of the season. He's another player who just turned 21 years old, and can step in at left tackle while Wirfs holds down the right tackle position. In this first round, the Dolphins have the cornerstones of a developing offense for five or more seasons in place with what was able to be achieved in the first round. I gave consideration to Cesar Ruiz to man the pivot, but Jackson was rated higher on my board, so I went in this direction.

Round 2 (56) - J.K. Dobbins - RB Ohio State - Entering the second round, I figured that there would be a run at the running back position at some point, but I believed that I would be positioned to take a good one at this draft slot, or I could look at the defensive line for reinforcements. The running backs started going at pick #45, and three went off the board before my selection. I was hoping that Marlon Davidson would slide to my pick (would be a perfect 5T in the Dolphin defense), but he went five picks before my selection. I went with the highest rated guy left on my board in Dobbins. Dobbins is a tough, hard nosed runner who gets better with more carries. I think he has the ability to develop even further as a pass catcher, and he has been reliable in terms of protecting the football (5 fumbles in 800 career touches). He's also a sneaky good pass protector. Dobbins is yet another 21 year old building block for the offense, which looks a hell of a lot better now that it did prior to the draft.

Round 3 (105) - Jonathan Greenard - EDGE Florida - This was a brutal stretch waiting for this pick to happen. I saw that Raekwon Davis was sliding, and I made multiple attempts to trade up and get him, but I couldn't make a deal. In looking at the board, the value in this area was shaping up to be the edge rushers. The Dolphins have Charles Harris, Taco Charlton and Andrew Van Ginkel at this position, and this doesn't exactly inspire memories of Bill Stanfill and Vern Den Herder. At the time of the pick, I was between Bradlee Anae and Jonathan Greenard, both of whom had early third round grades on my board. While I liked both players, I think that Greenard has a little more upside than Anae, so I went with him. Greenard was productive at both Louisville and Florida, and produced against top competition. He's a gritty, effort based player who will be a factor on this defense, and will likely force Harris off the roster.

Round 4 (141) - Hunter Bryant - TE Washington - This was purely a case of the value being far too good for the player being available at this slot. Bryant was far and away the best value on the board - this pick was at the end of the fourth, and I had a third round grade on Bryant. Bryant is a good pass catching option at TE (could work out of the slot, or as an H back type) who needs work on his blocking. I considered Alton Robinson or James Proche at this slot, and there really wasn't a good interior defensive lineman available at this juncture of the draft, so I went with the value. Gesicki and Bryant can work in tandem as pass catching options for Love down the road, and threaten defenses up the seam.

I feel like I addressed a number of holes in this draft, but frankly, it would have been hard not to given the inventory of picks and the swiss cheese nature of the roster. With three more picks in the fifth, I think there would have been more opportunities to address the other needs. Kudos to tm1119 for running this event - it takes the patience of a saint to make it through this. Teams that were engaged did well in this event, with the Jets, Vikings, Ravens, Cardinals and Buccaneers, amongst others, having good drafts.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The SB champs were more than happy to sit tight and let the draft come to them. Going in the biggest holes were corner, IOL, and DL. I also wanted a RB but the board never fell right for me.

1. Trevon Diggs. Best corner on the board and great value at 32. Could be a starter in KC by mid year.

2. Tyler Biasdez- second best center. I was torn between him and Raekwon Davis. Figured Mahomes is the franchise and need to keep him upright. Another guy that could start sooner rather than later.

3. Devin Asiasi. The chiefs lost their second TE to Dallas. Asiasi is the perfect replacement. Everything I have seen is that he will be a top 100 pick. Trust Reid to use him creatively.

still would have loved to have taken a RB but it just didn’t work out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Team: Chargers
Top Needs : QB/LB/OL/RB

Pick 6 - Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson --Dane rating 4
Took top player on our board. Very disruptive player we think will pair perfectly with Bosa to create nightmares for offenses.
Other option was OT which were picked above us or Herbert and we felt 6 was just too rich. Wanted to come away with elite player year 1.

Pick 37 - Brandon Aiyuk WR/KR Ariz St --Dane rating 23
Took top special teams guy with lots of WR upside. Was BPA on our board so we ignored need here and just added a special teams dimension.

Pick 71 - Matt Hennessey OC Temple --Dane rating 66
OT was woefully picked over so we liked the underrated Temple Center here. Pouncey is in the final year of his deal and we like this kid's ability to grow into a starting OC.

Pick 112 - Joshua Kelley RB UCLA --Dane rating 95
California RB is well known locvally and very underrated. Could have gnmbled on him lasting to round 5 but we love what this kid can bring day 1. Coming from Chip Kelley's offense he knows pro concepts and can block.
Will step in day 1 as a special teamer and back up RB.

All in all give ourselves a C. Came in with a need at QB but only one real solution in this draft so we will punt there for a year. Was interested in a trade back up for Herbert or Love to develop but too much competition drove prices up.
Much better QB class in 2021. Loved the fact Simmons fell to us and felt we have a plan with all our guys starting right this second.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I felt like Dolphins (as you'd expect with 100 picks) won the draft followed very closely by Arizona who capitalized on trading down early to add a ton of quality young players to their team.
Jealous of both their hauls.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Dolphins went into this draft with a lot of draft capital, and even more roster holes. Save for the starting wide receivers, starting corners and inside linebackers, the Dolphins are talent bereft at nearly every level of their team. This draft needed to be a Noah's Ark kind of draft - two of these, two of these and so on. The advantage to having a lot of draft capital and so many holes makes it easier to select - there's not too many situations where you can take a player who doesn't fill a need of some kind, regardless of the position. In free agency, the team added Byron Jones to give them a top flight cover guy opposite Xavien Howard, and also went to Brian Flores' Patriot past in signing Kyle Van Noy and Elandon Roberts to help shore up the linebacker position (where they already had good contributors in Jerome Baker and Raekwon McMillan), as well as Ted Karras as a hold the fort option at center. They also signed Ereck Flowers to play left guard for them, and Jordan Howard to give them a thumper at running back. On the immediate horizon, they are in dire need of a quarterback of the future, a younger, steadier running back, fixing a horrendous offensive line, adding an edge pass rusher, a run stopper inside on defense, and a safety to replace Reshad Jones. Here's how things shook out:

Round 1 (5) - Tristan Wirfs - OT Iowa - I ran a number of mock draft simulations, and it became clear that there wasn't going to be one of the top OT prospects available at #18. The Dolphins are a team returning Julien Davenport and Jesse Davis as their starting tackles, so that's a no go, especially if you plan on adding a young QB. I also wasn't enamored with using a top five pick on a huge injury risk in Tua Tagovailoa. I love the talent, but I can't trust his ability to stay healthy, and with a top five pick, I need certainty. There was also no chance of me reaching for Justin Herbert at #5 to fill a need, nor was I going to do that with Jordan Love this early. I reasoned that there was a better chance of me getting a quarterback at my second pick (who will need development time, regardless of the player) than a top tackle. Tua went at #2, so that temptation was removed immediately. Where I hesitated a bit was when Isaiah Simmons slid to be available at #5. While I love Simmons as a player, with the reinforcements already signed at linebacker, and his abilities lending themselves to him playing closer to the line of scrimmage (and not at safety), I went with the top tackle on my board in Wirfs. Wirfs is well schooled by Kirk Ferentz in how to play the OL, and was the first Iowa player under Ferentz to start at tackle as a freshman. He is technically sound, a fantastic athletic specimen, and just turned 21 years old, so he will be there for a long time. He has the ability to play either tackle, or could slide into guard, so it's only a question of where he will end up playing. He was who I went into this exercise expecting to pick at #5.

Round 1 (18) - Jordan Love - QB Utah State - I had discussions about possibly moving up into the higher teens prior to the draft, but when I saw that Herbert or Love didn't go in the top 10, I rolled the dice that there would be one of them available. For me, it was literally a coin flip between the two of them, and when Herbert went one pick ahead of me, I was content to take Love. Love is another 21 year old player that flashed real playmaking skills as a sophomore, but regressed in his junior year when there was a coaching staff change and many of his targets from 2018 left school. Love has a good arm, good mobility, and can make plays on the fly. He needs some maturity improvements (got popped for marijuana possession the day after he declared for the draft), but should have a good mentor in Ryan Fitzpatrick. From a developmental standpoint, having a mentor like Fitzpatrick, wideouts like DeVante Parker and Preston Williams and a pass catching tight end like Mike Gesicki should give him a nice young corps to grow with.

Round 1 (25) - Xavier McKinney - FS Alabama - This was a trade that DFWJC came to me with that allowed me to move up and get the top safety on the board, and still keep my final first round pick in exchange for my first second round pick and my third (with me getting a late third back in return). Taking McKinney was a no brainer for me - he was good value at this slot, and provides a steady leader in the back four. Reshad Jones left a big hole at safety, and McKinney's range and intelligence should work well within Flores' defense. He's another 21 year old player (sense a theme here?) who will be an anchor for the defense for a while. Another hole checked off the list.

Round 1 (26) - Austin Jackson - OT USC - In doing the mock simulations prior to this event, I saw some value in doubling up at tackle to provide bookends for the quarterback that I would take. This trade allowed me to fulfill this desire to set the stage for a young QB to have success. Jackson is another athletic, quick footed player who was slowed at the beginning of last year following donating blood marrow, but his play really picked up at the end of the season. He's another player who just turned 21 years old, and can step in at left tackle while Wirfs holds down the right tackle position. In this first round, the Dolphins have the cornerstones of a developing offense for five or more seasons in place with what was able to be achieved in the first round. I gave consideration to Cesar Ruiz to man the pivot, but Jackson was rated higher on my board, so I went in this direction.

Round 2 (56) - J.K. Dobbins - RB Ohio State - Entering the second round, I figured that there would be a run at the running back position at some point, but I believed that I would be positioned to take a good one at this draft slot, or I could look at the defensive line for reinforcements. The running backs started going at pick #45, and three went off the board before my selection. I was hoping that Marlon Davidson would slide to my pick (would be a perfect 5T in the Dolphin defense), but he went five picks before my selection. I went with the highest rated guy left on my board in Dobbins. Dobbins is a tough, hard nosed runner who gets better with more carries. I think he has the ability to develop even further as a pass catcher, and he has been reliable in terms of protecting the football (5 fumbles in 800 career touches). He's also a sneaky good pass protector. Dobbins is yet another 21 year old building block for the offense, which looks a hell of a lot better now that it did prior to the draft.

Round 3 (105) - Jonathan Greenard - EDGE Florida - This was a brutal stretch waiting for this pick to happen. I saw that Raekwon Davis was sliding, and I made multiple attempts to trade up and get him, but I couldn't make a deal. In looking at the board, the value in this area was shaping up to be the edge rushers. The Dolphins have Charles Harris, Taco Charlton and Andrew Van Ginkel at this position, and this doesn't exactly inspire memories of Bill Stanfill and Vern Den Herder. At the time of the pick, I was between Bradlee Anae and Jonathan Greenard, both of whom had early third round grades on my board. While I liked both players, I think that Greenard has a little more upside than Anae, so I went with him. Greenard was productive at both Louisville and Florida, and produced against top competition. He's a gritty, effort based player who will be a factor on this defense, and will likely force Harris off the roster.

Round 4 (141) - Hunter Bryant - TE Washington - This was purely a case of the value being far too good for the player being available at this slot. Bryant was far and away the best value on the board - this pick was at the end of the fourth, and I had a third round grade on Bryant. Bryant is a good pass catching option at TE (could work out of the slot, or as an H back type) who needs work on his blocking. I considered Alton Robinson or James Proche at this slot, and there really wasn't a good interior defensive lineman available at this juncture of the draft, so I went with the value. Gesicki and Bryant can work in tandem as pass catching options for Love down the road, and threaten defenses up the seam.

I feel like I addressed a number of holes in this draft, but frankly, it would have been hard not to given the inventory of picks and the swiss cheese nature of the roster. With three more picks in the fifth, I think there would have been more opportunities to address the other needs. Kudos to tm1119 for running this event - it takes the patience of a saint to make it through this. Teams that were engaged did well in this event, with the Jets, Vikings, Ravens, Cardinals and Buccaneers, amongst others, having good drafts.
I would have taken Wirfs if you hadn't.
Franchise LT imho.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

That's a mighty strong draft.

RandyOh

Reaction score
14- OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia -Bucs biggest need going into the draft was left tackle and we not only filled that need at pick 14, but we also clearly got the best player available as well. Andrew Thomas has Pro bowl if not All Pro potential and is a day 1 plug and play starter at Left Tackle. Potential franchise left tackle.

45- RB D'Andre Swift, Georgia- Filled the biggest need in the 1st round and continued to fill the teams 2nd biggest need in the 2nd round while still drafting the best player available. Swift is hands down the best running back in the draft and his pass catching ability will make him a deadly weapon on passing downs. Offensive rookie of the year candidate for sure with how much Brady loves pass catching RB's.

76- QB Jacob Eason, Washington- Wanted Jordan Elliott at this pick and watched as he got sniped right before my pick, but Eason was always on my short list in 3rd round. Kid is a mountain of a man at QB with a rocket for an arm, decent throwing mechanics, and showed a great improvement in accuracy in his final year at Washington. He does have his flaws but most can be fixed through coaching like footwork and touch on his throws. Sky is the limit in terms of his potential and sitting and learning behind the GOAT QB for at least a couple years will do wonders for him. See him often get compared to Carson Palmer if he is allowed the time to sit and develop for at least a couple of years.

117- NT Leki Fotu, Utah- Fotu is a running stopping monster and will be replacing Suh after this next season. interior linemen will have their hands full with both Fotu and Vita Vea collapsing the pocket on passing downs.

139- DB Javaris Davis, Auburn- With my last pick i feel i got great value in Davis. He is a little undersized but he plays very fast with his 4.39 speed, not afraid to make plays on the ball and he hits like hes 6'2" 215 and not 5'8" 187. He is very versatile and can play many positions in the defensive backfield. Can become a Honey Badger light if used properly.

I'm always a little tougher on myself when it comes to giving a draft class a rank opposed to ranking others. I would give myself a solid B for this draft class seeing how i didn't go off making any trades and let the players come to me. Although If i had gotten Jordan Elliott in the 3rd i would have bumped my grade up to a B+. filled my biggest needs while still taking best player available in most the rounds.

tm1119

Reaction score
Denver went into this with 2 big needs where a rookie could easily start- WR and CB. Depth for both lines was also a secondary need.

Picking at 15- The popular choice would have been to take Henry Ruggs and be happy. However, Ruggs is the #4 WR on my board and the Eagles were chomping at the bit to trade up. I took their offer to move back 6 spots for a 3rd, 4th and next years 2nd. At 21 my #2 WR was still on the board and I happily took Justin Jefferson. Jefferson and Courtland Sutton will be a dynamic due for Drew Lock to grow with, add in Noah Fant, Melvin Gordon, and Phillip Lindasay and Denver's offense is suddenly scary.

Now loaded with 1 2nd, 4 3rd's, and 2 4th's I saw an opportunity to get my #3 CB in the draft class that can easily start day 1. AJ Terrell. All the measurables you could possibly want with 30 career starts on the biggest stage you can find outside of the NFL. Moved up with the Saints to 24 at the cost of my 2nd, 2 3rd's, and a late 4th. I got 2 of my top 25 guys and still had 2 3rd's and a 4th to work with

In the 3rd I thought about moving up to the top with my 2 3rd rounders (Igbinoghene fell and was great value), but decided to stay put and add depth. At 77 I was salivating for Jordan Elliot to fall to me, but he was snatched up 2 picks ahead. I ended up happily settling for James Lynch. The Broncos lost a key member of their DL in Derek Wolfe, and I think Lynch is built in the same mold. He's a big tough guy that is more athletic than given credit for. Can play tough run D and rush the passer inside or out. Lynch will be a key rotation piece early on.

With my 2nd late 3rd rounder I waited for the board to fall my way and Darrell Taylor, edge pass rusher from Tennessee. He was the highest left on my board because he has a great skillset at a premium position. The toolbox is overflowing for Taylor as he has damn near prototype size and athleticism , he just needs to be coached up. And who better to learn from than Von Miller? Taylor can contribute as a rotational pass rush specialist early.

Again staying patient until my 4th round pick Ben Bartch was by far the top o-lineman left on the board. Bartch is a small school prospect with big potential. He was an athletic TE that transformed himself into a 6'6 309 lb OT that started his final 2 years as a very good LT. Still room to grow and get stronger, the Broncos strength and conditioning coaches + a nutritionist can transform him further. Garrett Bolles has 1 more year left on his deal and Bartch could be ready to take over year 2.

In the end I suppose I criticize myself slightly for the trade up for Terrell, there were a lot of CB's still left at the time. But with a plethora of picks and the all important 5th year option I felt the need to secure my guy in the 1st. I can live with it. Lynch, Taylor, and Bartch were all solid picks and when factoring in the 2nd I gained next year- B draft

tm1119

Reaction score
My biggest reach candidates: Julian Okwara, Bryce Hall, Curtis Weaver, Tyler Biadasz
My biggest steal candidates: AJ Epenesa, Isaiah Wilson, Noah Igbinoghene, Jeremy Chinn

morasp

Reaction score
14- OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia -Bucs biggest need going into the draft was left tackle and we not only filled that need at pick 14, but we also clearly got the best player available as well. Andrew Thomas has Pro bowl if not All Pro potential and is a day 1 plug and play starter at Left Tackle. Potential franchise left tackle.

45- RB D'Andre Swift, Georgia- Filled the biggest need in the 1st round and continued to fill the teams 2nd biggest need in the 2nd round while still drafting the best player available. Swift is hands down the best running back in the draft and his pass catching ability will make him a deadly weapon on passing downs. Offensive rookie of the year candidate for sure with how much Brady loves pass catching RB's.

76- QB Jacob Eason, Washington- Wanted Jordan Elliott at this pick and watched as he got sniped right before my pick, but Eason was always on my short list in 3rd round. Kid is a mountain of a man at QB with a rocket for an arm, decent throwing mechanics, and showed a great improvement in accuracy in his final year at Washington. He does have his flaws but most can be fixed through coaching like footwork and touch on his throws. Sky is the limit in terms of his potential and sitting and learning behind the GOAT QB for at least a couple years will do wonders for him. See him often get compared to Carson Palmer if he is allowed the time to sit and develop for at least a couple of years.

117- NT Leki Fotu, Utah- Fotu is a running stopping monster and will be replacing Suh after this next season. interior linemen will have their hands full with both Fotu and Vita Vea collapsing the pocket on passing downs.

139- DB Javaris Davis, Auburn- With my last pick i feel i got great value in Davis. He is a little undersized but he plays very fast with his 4.39 speed, not afraid to make plays on the ball and he hits like hes 6'2" 215 and not 5'8" 187. He is very versatile and can play many positions in the defensive backfield. Can become a Honey Badger light if used properly.

I'm always a little tougher on myself when it comes to giving a draft class a rank opposed to ranking others. I would give myself a solid B for this draft class seeing how i didn't go off making any trades and let the players come to me. Although If i had gotten Jordan Elliott in the 3rd i would have bumped my grade up to a B+. filled my biggest needs while still taking best player available in most the rounds.
10/10 Swift was a steal. Even though he's small unlike some of the other CBs who either will never start or even make the roster Davis has a chance to become a quality starting slot CB and he was great value at 139.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Denver went into this with 2 big needs where a rookie could easily start- WR and CB. Depth for both lines was also a secondary need.

Picking at 15- The popular choice would have been to take Henry Ruggs and be happy. However, Ruggs is the #4 WR on my board and the Eagles were chomping at the bit to trade up. I took their offer to move back 6 spots for a 3rd, 4th and next years 2nd. At 21 my #2 WR was still on the board and I happily took Justin Jefferson. Jefferson and Courtland Sutton will be a dynamic due for Drew Lock to grow with, add in Noah Fant, Melvin Gordon, and Phillip Lindasay and Denver's offense is suddenly scary.

Now loaded with 1 2nd, 4 3rd's, and 2 4th's I saw an opportunity to get my #3 CB in the draft class that can easily start day 1. AJ Terrell. All the measurables you could possibly want with 30 career starts on the biggest stage you can find outside of the NFL. Moved up with the Saints to 24 at the cost of my 2nd, 2 3rd's, and a late 4th. I got 2 of my top 25 guys and still had 2 3rd's and a 4th to work with

In the 3rd I thought about moving up to the top with my 2 3rd rounders (Igbinoghene fell and was great value), but decided to stay put and add depth. At 77 I was salivating for Jordan Elliot to fall to me, but he was snatched up 2 picks ahead. I ended up happily settling for James Lynch. The Broncos lost a key member of their DL in Derek Wolfe, and I think Lynch is built in the same mold. He's a big tough guy that is more athletic than given credit for. Can play tough run D and rush the passer inside or out. Lynch will be a key rotation piece early on.

With my 2nd late 3rd rounder I waited for the board to fall my way and Darrell Taylor, edge pass rusher from Tennessee. He was the highest left on my board because he has a great skillset at a premium position. The toolbox is overflowing for Taylor as he has damn near prototype size and athleticism , he just needs to be coached up. And who better to learn from than Von Miller? Taylor can contribute as a rotational pass rush specialist early.

Again staying patient until my 4th round pick Ben Bartch was by far the top o-lineman left on the board. Bartch is a small school prospect with big potential. He was an athletic TE that transformed himself into a 6'6 309 lb OT that started his final 2 years as a very good LT. Still room to grow and get stronger, the Broncos strength and conditioning coaches + a nutritionist can transform him further. Garrett Bolles has 1 more year left on his deal and Bartch could be ready to take over year 2.

In the end I suppose I criticize myself slightly for the trade up for Terrell, there were a lot of CB's still left at the time. But with a plethora of picks and the all important 5th year option I felt the need to secure my guy in the 1st. I can live with it. Lynch, Taylor, and Bartch were all solid picks and when factoring in the 2nd I gained next year- B draft
Love the trade down in RD1.
Ruggs is electric but the list of guys who has run even faster at WR is a list of players who achieved a collective nothing.
He is a big play waiting to happen but he might have been the 4th best Bama WR this year....
He averaged just over 2 catches and 41 yards per game.

Jefferson had 81 MORE receptions this year....

morasp

Reaction score
The biggest steal by far was the Florida State RB Cam Akers. I had him ranked in the 27-30 range and he went at 93 to @Western the GM for Tennessee. Ironically I contacted him before the pick to try to trade for that player. He must have known because he politely declined.

The best draft overall and it's not close for me is the Bengals and @Londonboy. Given the importance of a good QB I probably could have given him the vote after the first day with the Burrows pick but he followed it up with strong picks in all four rounds.

Shenault, Niang, and Benjamin were all great picks in my opinion and should really improve the Bengals offense in 2020.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The biggest steal by far was the Florida State RB Cam Akers. I had him ranked in the 27-30 range and he went at 93 to @Western the GM for Tennessee. Ironically I contacted him before the pick to try to trade for that player. He must have known because he politely declined.

The best draft overall and it's not close for me is the Bengals and @Londonboy. Given the importance of a good QB I probably could have given him the vote after the first day with the Burrows pick but he followed it up with strong picks in all four rounds.

Shenault, Niang, and Benjamin were all great picks in my opinion and should really improve the Bengals offense in 2020.
That is a good haul.
Saw both Shenault(Desoto) and Benjamin(Wylie?) in high school as local kids.
Really good players.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Bungles Breakdown.

Plan A : Tank for Trev, trade out of NO.1, keep trading down for mid range picks and stock up on picks in next years draft (so that I can get said Trev, even if the Bungles show unexpected life and fail to achieve the archsucky level needed to snag the No.1 overall).

Did it work? : Heck no, total failure, nobody even enquired about No.1 (apart from one Person Who offered an existing Player and a 1st, even if that trade was allowable, acceptance would have triggered a petition demanding that this idiot never be allowed to participate again).

Time for Plan B : Do the obvious and take Joe (not the worst thing in the World), get Him as much help as possible, since He's now The Saviour, the Franchise's fortunes are now tied to His development, makes sense to accelerate that curve with as much help as possible, if the sucky D costs us a couple of wins, who cares (in short no Defenders unless They've seriously fallen).

Did Plan B fare any better? : I think so.
Liked Jefferson and tried to trade up for Him, but wasn't prepared to pay too much, given how much I liked the other WR's, wanted Shenault and tried a small trade up to get above 2 Teams I thought might grab Him, attempt failed but luckily He was there, love His competitive fire and think He'll be a top pro and will grow with Joe.
Turned down a trade down offer to stay put at 65 when it looked like either Niang and Prince Tega would be there, went with Niang, big & physical, will be a great RT in time.
Went with Eno Benjamin at the top of the 4th, nice multi-skilled RB, a rapier to go with the Hammer.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Draft needs: WR, CB, DE, OG, DT, C, OT...so a lot

1-22--Yatur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn St
The Vikes are expecting to Everson Griffen and have a big need at DE.
With picks 22 and 25, I wanted to fill 2 of my top 3 needs if the value was right. Ideally, I'd have taken Gross-Matos at 25 and gotten WR Jefferson at 22. But Jefferson went at 21 and I preferred to wait on WRs Higgin or Aiyuk. YGM is just a solid all-around Edge player. He will plug a gap and compliment Daniel Hunter on the other side well.

1-25---traded down....traded 25 and 105 for 39 and 70, then traded up 39 and 142 for 36

2-4(36)--Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson
The Vikings have a massive need at WR. They already needed a 3rd WR, but then traded away Stefon Diggs...leaving two big holes in the offense. The early 2nd round was looking like a sweet spot for a 2nd run on WRs so rather than taking a Higgins at 25, I dropped down into that sweet spot. Seeing the run coming, I even had to move up a few spots in the 2nd with a fair trade. Then 4 WRs went in 8 spots, so it worked out...as staying at 39 would've missed the run..
Higgins is a TD machine--his 27 tied Deandre Hopkins' college record.

2-28(56)--Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio St
The Vikings lost 2 CBs this offseason, including Xavier Rhodes. This is one of their 3 big need areas. Arnette was overshadowed by Okuda at OSU, but is very good too. He can play press or zone very well.

3-6(70) ---traded down...70 for 85 and 115

3-21(85)--Jonah Jackson, OG, Ohio St
Minnesota has some issues on their interior line--really at both OG and C. Hennessy was an option here but I decided to try for a 2 for 1....and ended up getting both Jackson and WR Devin Duvernay

3-25(89)--Raekwon Davis, DT , Alabama
The Vikings released Lival Joseph but already wanted a penetrating DT. Davis--one the better penetrating Dts in this draft--could be that guy. The value was way to great to pass up here.

4-9(115)--Devin Devurnay, WR, Texas
As mentioned earlier, The Vikings have a deep need at WR. I ended up getting both Devernay and Jonah Jackson with trade down from 70. Skill-set wise, I think Devurnay will complement Tee Higgins almost perfectly.
Add in Adam Theilen and WR may eventually be a position of strength.

RandyOh

Reaction score
MINNESOTA VIKINGS

With picks 22 and 25, I wanted to fill 2 of my top 3 needs if the value was right. Ideally, I'd have taken Gross-Matos at 25 and gotten WR Jefferson at 22. But Jefferson went at 21 and I preferred to wait on WRs Higgin or Aiyuk. YGM is just a solid all-around Edge player. He will plug a gap and compliment Daniel Hunter on the other side well.

1-25---traded down....traded 25 and 105 for 39 and 70, then traded up 39 and 142 for 36

The Vikings have a massive need at WR. They already needed a 3rd WR, but then traded away Stefon Diggs...leaving two big holes in the offense. The early 2nd round was looking like a sweet spot for a 2nd run on WRs so rather than taking a Higgins at 25, I dropped down into that sweet spot. Seeing the run coming, I even had to move up a few spots in the 2nd with a fair trade. Then 4 WRs went in 8 spots, so it worked out...as staying at 39 would've missed the run..

The Vikings lost 2 CBs this offseason, including Xavier Rhodes. This is one of their 3 big need areas. Arnette was overshadowed by Okuda at OSU, but is very good too. He can play press or zone very well.

Minnesota has some issues on their interior line--really at both OG and C. Hennessy was an option here but I decided to try for a 2 for 1....and ended up getting both Jackson and WR Devin Duvernay

The Vikings released Lival Joseph but already wanted a penetrating DT. Davis--one the better penetrating Dts in this draft--could be that guy. The value was way to great to pass up here.

As mentioned earlier, The Vikings have a deep need at WR. I ended up getting both Devernay and Jonah Jackson with trade down from 70. Skill-set wise, I think Devurnay will complement Tee Higgins almost perfectly.
I really like your draft. No single player blows me away, but you might have walked away with 6 starter quality players in your draft.

Londonboy

Reaction score
MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Decent value at the top, Davis and Devurnay were outstanding picks, almost went with DD at #107, but Bell's versatility just gave Him the edge, considered trading a 2021 3rd to jump back in for Him, but couldn't really justify doing it.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Colts
Team Needs: QB, WR, TE, CB, DL

#34 - CB Kristian Fulton
#44 - WR KJ Hamler
#64 - WR/TE Chase Claypool

Traded #75 & #122 for #64.

Thought Fulton at #34 was great value. Think he's going in the first round for sure. Love went early so instead of reaching for Hurts or Eason, they'll get their QB of the future next season.

I wanted to get the Colts some talent at the skill positions on O since they have an aging TY Hilton (30), and not much else to speak of at WR/TE. Originally wanted to go Mims at 34 because I think he's a big bodied, go get it WR that Rivers would have success with, but he got sniped. Then thought I'd just grab Pittman at #44 but he got sniped too lol. Hamler gives them a speedster in the slot. Needed to compliment him with a big redzone target so I traded up for Claypool, who can be used as an X or TE to replace Ebron. I've seen Claypool mocked all over the board (2nd/3rd) so thought #64 was a decent spot for him.