McShay: Zach Wilson is 2nd best player in this draft

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've had Wilson rated as the #2 QB all along. Fields reminds me of so many other QB's of his type, athletic movers with a decent arm. They have some success on a very good team in college and come into the league with a lot of hype and very little upside. IMHO, he will be average at best.

I have Lance as the #3 rated QB, Mac Jones as #4 and Fields at #5. For comparison sake, Mills and Ehlinger are in that conversation at #5 too.

I see exactly what you're saying about Fields but I like him a little better than you do. I think he's got a high floor.

But as of now i'm with you about Lance #3.. He's way more raw but his skill set is undeniable and if i'm drafting a QB i'm not going safe. I'm shooting for the moon and this is a lottery ticket that could easily take off.

He's a Lamar Jackson athlete with a great arm. IF he starts progressing his reads to anything close to what Mac Jones is capable of then he could be a force.

He probably needs to sit a season though.

I'd love to see us move up for this guy. With the type of QB's McCarthy has had success with i'd be shocked if he is not watching this guy and being reminded of a young Aaron Rodgers.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ever see Tom Brady? He's never had the "sturdy" frame. How about Eli? Great physical specimen, eh?

Some bony looking guys are just as tough as the Cam Newton or Dak type body, if he didn't have a lot of college injuries I'd not worry about that, you never know....

True.. I guess my only rebuttal would be Brady & Eli are kinda stuck in the pocket and Zach Wilson can legitimately take off and run. We all know the problem that can present to a QB's health.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I just can't get into the small school QB's. And yes BYU is a small school lol. Obviously good QB's can come from anywhere but I wouldn't ever draft one form a small school.

They said Daniel Jones was the next Peyton Manning lol! and I screamed didn't he play at DUKE!!! They said Ben DiNucci could be the next Aaron Rogers.... welp.

Lawerence, Fields, Mac Jones are the only QB's I'm looking at. Everyone else is a hard PASS.

visionary

Reaction score
Trade Dak to Jets fir overall second pick and draft Wilson

They get a mediocre QB who thinks he’s great

Cowboys get a better QB cheaper

CZ gets rid of Dak-stans (though we didn’t get rid of Idgit when Garrett left so that’s not certain but definitely worth the risk )

John813

Reaction score
Wonder if Miami could be a team that would be willing to trade down to still pick Chase/Smith.
Of course at 3 you're at the will of the Jets and who they pick at #2.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
True.. I guess my only rebuttal would be Brady & Eli are kinda stuck in the pocket and Zach Wilson can legitimately take off and run. We all know the problem that can present to a QB's health.

Agreed, though just running isn't the issue, it's trying to hit defenders or trying to get an extra yard or even couple of feet before sliding. Dak's foot just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sort of like Dalton getting his hand stepped on in the last game, considering the size of his hand and the size of the field, rotten luck to have a defender step on it.

And that begs the question, do the quarterbacks have to lay their hand back when sliding, or is that just how some guys do it. Always did think it was an invitation to get a hand stepped on, and only gives them one hand holding the ball, with the way refs call fumbles I wish they had both hands on the ball during slides...

DanT

Reaction score
Just said it on Mel's ESPN2 mock special. Even said most of the people he's talked to in the league has confirmed that with some even believing he's better than Lawrence.
I was on ***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1*** looking over their draft projections and found this about ole Zack Wilson-
In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

"Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was on ***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1*** looking over their draft projections and found this about ole Zack Wilson-
In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

"Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

If any of that is true I would not be willing to sell the farm in order to move up and draft him. I think we would have a problem on our hands considering how much the locker room respects Dak if we choose to replace him with Wilson. If he falls to 10 and the staff likes him after some interviews at the draft, pull the trigger. Otherwise I would stay away. A trade down for Mac Jones could also be a viable option.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Long-time front runners, like Lawrence, always seem to get nitpicked apart by those trying to find a flaw, any flaw..
It's how Leaf entered the discussion with Manning and how RG3 entered the discussion with Luck.
Justin Herbert as well. He was talked up for a few years on when he comes out and then when he did he went 6th. Chargers were lucky.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If any of that is true I would not be willing to sell the farm in order to move up and draft him. I think we would have a problem on our hands considering how much the locker room respects Dak if we choose to replace him with Wilson. If he falls to 10 and the staff likes him after some interviews at the draft, pull the trigger. Otherwise I would stay away. A trade down for Mac Jones could also be a viable option.
No worries.
Wilson is not falling to 10. That "scout" on Blecher Report is way off on this one.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Wilson is most likely gone at pick #2 unless the Jets get cold feet and hold Darnold.
Unless the Jets love Wilson or Fields, they should trade down a few spots, pick up an extra 2021 2nd and 2022 1st and still add one of the top 2 WRs

but thats only if they havent given up on Darold—who has spent his short career surrounded by crap.

Otherwise trade for Watson or draft the QB and move on

Last edited:

Gaede

Reaction score
Wilson is easily the most exciting of the group. But I get major Manziel vibes from him. I know it's not a good comparison, so don't bother telling me. I can't really justify the comp. But how many guys succeed at QB with that body type? If he hits though, look out.

Like Catch said, Lance is a really tantalizing prospect. He's the new mold of QB and you're getting Lamar Jackson, with better passing ability. I think it depends on where he goes, but he could end up being the most productive of all of them. If we are moving on from Dak, I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 10. Would also take Jones tbh, who I believe will be a really solid QB

Flamma

Reaction score
I've had Wilson rated as the #2 QB all along. Fields reminds me of so many other QB's of his type, athletic movers with a decent arm. They have some success on a very good team in college and come into the league with a lot of hype and very little upside. IMHO, he will be average at best.

I have Lance as the #3 rated QB, Mac Jones as #4 and Fields at #5. For comparison sake, Mills and Ehlinger are in that conversation at #5 too.

Ever hear of Tankathon? It's just another site that ranks all of the players in the draft. Attached to each player are highlights. I've watched a ton of highlights from Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Jones, and Fields. No one else.

Lawrence, Wilson, and Mac Jones are the only three that look like they're going through progressions. Fields is a first read quarterback. He reminds me of Johnny Manzeil. If it's not there he waits for a busted play or takes off running. Lance, I don't know how anyone can look at his tape and say he's a quarterback, let alone an NFL quarterback. There must be some tape out there that shows him passing the ball.

RS12

Reaction score
Does Wilson's arm really compare to Mahomes'? Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot on this kid, but Mahomes has all-world, potentially best all-time pure arm talent. I have a hard time believing Wilson is anywhere in that realm.
Throws a very accurate and catchable ball. Hits runners in stride,

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Throws a very accurate and catchable ball. Hits runners in stride,

Yeah, a lot of QBs do that. When someone compares an arm to Mahomes I think most people are talking about veolicity and arm strength. I have a very difficult time believing this dudes arm is even in the same realm as Mahomes'.