CFZ Meaningless wins? Playoff Tie-Breakers do matter!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some on this board are mentioning the Cowboys haven't beaten any team with a winning record, that these wins are meaningless. The Cowboys will have more opportunities to beat a winning team down the stretch, but these wins are far from meaningless if they finished tied in the division, inside the conference or even a three way tie:

-Divisional Records are extremely important. Yes, Eagles have a 2 game lead in the loss column, but only 1 game better in the division. If Dallas beats Seattle and the Eagles lose to either the Bills or 49ers, the Cowboys can tie the Eagles if they win the next head to head matchup. Very possible scenario.

Next Divisional game are:

Common Games (they lost to the Jets and probably will beat the Cardinals) We still have to play Miami
Conference Record (This is where the Cardinal loss could come back to haunt us)
"Strength of Victory"-this is where killing those bad teams come into play

These all come into play outside the division as well.

Yes, probably looking at a #5 see again, but it is possible that strength of victory tie breaker could come into play.

Each win is important, no matter the opponent.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
All wins mean a lot, it is what gets you in playoff position. Where anything can happen.
Yes anything can happen, if a ball just bounces right. That being said, quality of play and execution basically titles the scales in your favor. Which is the area the Cowboys lack when they play stronger competition.

BHendri5

Reaction score
when we beat the jets, Giants, the first time they were winning teams, the chargers were a winning team when we beat them, the patriots were 500, that is winning, if it’s not then why do they give Mike Tomlinson credit for winning when his team is 500. The rams were considered to be tough and some thought we would lose, actually people picked the giants to beat us the very first game, they picked the jets even after Rodger’s was out, they picked the chargers and the rams, even the patriots were picked by some because of Bill.
SMH

Aven8

Reaction score
The 2nd seed and even first aren’t out of the question. SF goes to Philly and has Balty left at home. With a lot of division games in between. Philly has to play the before mentioned SF, and us on the road. As well as Seattle. Luckily for them they get both SF and Buffalo at home.

We just have to take care of our business and try to win every game.

As of today we play at NO in the WC round as the 5th seed. If we win, it’s back to Philly. Unless a lower seed team knocks off one of the division winners.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
when we beat the jets, Giants, the first time they were winning teams, the chargers were a winning team when we beat them, the patriots were 500, that is winning, if it’s not then why do they give Mike Tomlinson credit for winning when his team is 500. The rams were considered to be tough and some thought we would lose, actually people picked the giants to beat us the very first game, they picked the jets even after Rodger’s was out, they picked the chargers and the rams, even the patriots were picked by some because of Bill.
SMH
Wut?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes anything can happen, if a ball just bounces right. That being said, quality of play and execution basically titles the scales in your favor. Which is the area the Cowboys lack when they play stronger competition.
Yep, and it could be the year it all changes. Such as in 1992.
Most everyone thought the Cowboys were too young, not ready for SF. Many hoped Dallas could just stay in the game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
To be fair to the Cowboys, both those games were on the road. Eagles have won big win on the road against the Chiefs. 49ers best win was the Cowboys and haven’t beaten a quality opponent yet on the road. Lions lost to both Seahawks and Packers at home, but beat a wounded Chiefs team on the road.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Some on this board are mentioning the Cowboys haven't beaten any team with a winning record, that these wins are meaningless. The Cowboys will have more opportunities to beat a winning team down the stretch, but these wins are far from meaningless if they finished tied in the division, inside the conference or even a three way tie:

-Divisional Records are extremely important. Yes, Eagles have a 2 game lead in the loss column, but only 1 game better in the division. If Dallas beats Seattle and the Eagles lose to either the Bills or 49ers, the Cowboys can tie the Eagles if they win the next head to head matchup. Very possible scenario.

Common Games (they lost to the Jets and probably will beat the Cardinals) We still have to play Miami

Yes, probably looking at a #5 see again, but it is possible that strength of victory tie breaker could come into play.

Totally agree, hermano. People who say that here are just trolls or haters. Just like that heavy set dude who recently said that the "Season starts now!" :facepalm: If we lost all the games leading up this point the rest of the season wouldn't matter.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Correct the cowboy bias....

do they talk about the Miami Dolphins as much being eight and three and being the number one seed right now and they haven't beat a single team with a winning record, everyone wants to point out Denver but Denver just now got to 500 when they played them, they were pretty much the worst team in the NFL..

I don't think Miami cares

I mean you win your games that are in front of you the couple you lose which seem to be on the same level as the Cowboys right now..it won't matter once you're in the playoffs it is all about seeding and tiebreakers and yeah all these games matter and blowing them out matters, point differentials etc

you know net points they use those especially within the division if it's a say a tie in the division with the Eagles and we split the games but still end up tied they'll use all that other stuff and trust me it matters.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Correct. There are no meaningless games in the NFL. You play to win no matter who is on the schedule.

I love how the Cowboys can destroy the Commanders and the narrative is "Washington sucks". Yet the Eagles need overtime to beat the same exact team and the narrative is "how resilient the Eagles are".

Flamma

Reaction score

Strength of victory has nothing to do with how badly you beat a team. If that was the tie breaker, you just add up all the wins from the teams you've beaten. The Eagles already have 8 by beating Miami. If they beat the 49ers, we're probably not going to win that tie breaker because both of those teams will probably finish with very good records.

GMO415

Reaction score
Bottom line is no one wants to look like a fool and pick DAL to go far in the playoffs. After 27 years of good enough, people are snake bit. Beating a bunch of tomato cans isn't all that inspiring.

I on the other hand, have a lot less days in front of me than behind me, so I'm enjoying the wins (blowouts)

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Bottom line is no one wants to look like a fool and pick DAL to go far in the playoffs. After 27 years of good enough, people are snake bit. Beating a bunch of tomato cans isn't all that inspiring.

I on the other hand, have a lot less days in front of me than behind me, so I'm enjoying the wins (blowouts)
At the same time how can we lay 27 years of blame at the feet of the 2023 team? This drought goes back so far it includes the last five years of Troy Aikman's career. I can say that, right now, this is the best Mike McCarthy coached version of the Cowboys so far. Let's see what happens before just assuming it's 1998, 2008, or 2018 again because absolutely none of that matters anymore.

DFWJC

Reaction score
When you are a playoff team, the only wins that are meaningless are maybe the week 18 games if you already have things sewn up
Until then, they all have meaning, Division and conference games mean even more.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
According to a lot of people of this forum life is already predetermined. I guess we all just earned a lot of free time for the rest of the season as there is no point in watching. I mean, we already know what's going to happen......right?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Correct. There are no meaningless games in the NFL. You play to win no matter who is on the schedule.

I love how the Cowboys can destroy the Commanders and the narrative is "Washington sucks". Yet the Eagles need overtime to beat the same exact team and the narrative is "how resilient the Eagles are".
Really, Washington doesn't absolutely suck.
Their pass defense sucks but they are otherwise a pretty average team this this year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Strength of victory has nothing to do with how badly you beat a team. If that was the tie breaker, you just add up all the wins from the teams you've beaten. The Eagles already have 8 by beating Miami. If they beat the 49ers, we're probably not going to win that tie breaker because both of those teams will probably finish with very good records.
You are right, strength of victory is winning percentage but further down the list is points scored, points against.