Twitter: Media show love to Mike McCarthy on his career and Cowboys tenure

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Having spent time with him as a player (KC w/MM as a QB coach), I knew he understood how to win games with a complementary approach based on his “Marty Ball” experience. Now that he has finally taken the reins in Dallas as the play caller, you can see the difference in how they play.. He calls the game with the his own defense in mind instead of trying to blow up the stat sheet. It’s not a coincidence the Cowboys are winning big behind an offense and defense that works together. It’s by design and MM deserves credit for it. #NFl #Cowboys

plymkr

Reaction score
I feel McCarthy should get a lot of praise for what he’s done but also the fact that he coached 4 days after surgery is amazing. And he coached well. He schooled the Eagles DC. Let’s give him his due for what he’s done with the team and what he did on Sunday while recovering from surgery. He’s all in with this team. I hated Mike when we first got him but now I feel he might be the best coach since Jimmy. I’m glad we got him.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I've been impressed by his willingness and ability to adapt from the beginning of the season, not every coach is willing or capable. I've seen too many coaches get stuck in their ways. The offense has been evolving throughout the season, it's come a long way since the initial version of the Texas Coast Offense(WCO). It's easy to say that's what a good coach should do, but we don't always see that. He's been adapting and actually putting players in positions to succeed, again something we don't always see. We still have a few games left to tinker and fine tune it to get it playoff ready.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I remember when he was hired, he had a ringing endorsement from Aikman for his football mind. That's all I needed to know.
Yeah, remember that too. Mike did have some bad games though, but I guess anyone has. Overall he did a good job, especially in the context of Jerry's world. Let's see if he can finish the job now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As an OC, I think he's finally understanding each of his offensive player's strengths and weaknesses and how they impact his playcalling. That may not sound like much but it matters. It's a beautiful thing to see how he and Dak are attacking defenses' weaknesses and playing chess. They are starting to remind me Troy and Norv.

BTW....I'm not sure many remember when he asked about his coaching style or strategy right after he was hired. His answer was to score early and often and turn the game over to his defense. That's exactly what we have seen in the last 5/6 games.

I am trying hard, really hard to contain my excitement coz this is truly starting to feel like a special season. In other words, we are exactly where you wanna be in December ..........healthy and playing your best football.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
As an OC, I think he's finally understanding each of his offensive player's strengths and weaknesses and how they impact his playcalling. That may not sound like much but it matters. It's a beautiful thing to see how he and Dak are attacking defenses' weaknesses and playing chess. They are starting to remind me Troy and Norv.

BTW....I'm not sure many remember when he asked about his coaching style or strategy right after he was hired. His answer was to score early and often and turn the game over to his defense. That's exactly what we have seen in the last 5/6 games.

I am trying hard, really hard to contain my excitement coz this is truly starting to feel like a special season. In other words, we are exactly where you wanna be in December ..........healthy and playing your best football.
I’m confident Dallas is one of the two best teams in the NFL. And this should 100% be the year the NFC Championship hurdle is broken even if they go on the road to Philly.

However I’m not willing to say they can beat SF until I see it. Especially in SF.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m confident Dallas is one of the two best teams in the NFL. And this should 100% be the year the NFC Championship hurdle is broken even if they go on the road to Philly.

However I’m not willing to say they can beat SF until I see it. Especially in SF.
I said the same thing here in another thread........like you said, I'm confident we can beat any/all except the 49ers. IMO, something I'm not many fans understand, the 49ers will always have the Shanahan factor, the best offensive mind in the league. You have got to out-coach him in addition to beating his team unless they have some injuries.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

the play calling has been night and day compared to Moore, who just called plays randomly at times. Moore's play calling made no sense, further the route combinations were awful. I complained for years about Moore and there were his defenders. Moore was unlucky in a way to have been pushed up the ranks so quickly. not learning properly. not paying his dues and having Garrett as a mentor.

MM, calls plays with a purpose. he sets up a defense. he spreads the defense on pass plays. he runs the ball and he controls the clock and I think his two calls for Aubrey to kick were freaking gutsy. imagine if we missed the 60 yarder, and people would be roasting him. but he took a chance. showed confidence and it worked out. he did it again, with the 59 yarder, showing, it wasn't a fluke and he is not afraid. he attacks all nine passing zones and not afraid to go deep. he understands that's one of the strengths of his offense to go deep. make big plays.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve been pro Mike since the day he got here. The dude can coach. Everyone just assumed Rogers carried him but forget that he lost half his defense the season they won the SB in our house. Also, Rogers has won nothing since he was with Mike.

My only question, is why did he wait so long to unseat Moore as the OC? I realize he wanted the job so he said that was cool, as the buffoons wanted continuity for Dak. It’s quite obvious in one QB school, and one season that Mike has taken Dak to somewhere he’s never been as a QB.

JayFord

Reaction score
I’ve been pro Mike since the day he got here. The dude can coach. Everyone just assumed Rogers carried him but forget that he lost half his defense the season they won the SB in our house. Also, Rogers has won nothing since he was with Mike.

My only question, is why did he wait so long to unseat Moore as the OC? I realize he wanted the job so he said that was cool, as the buffoons wanted continuity for Dak. It’s quite obvious in one QB school, and one season that Mike has taken Dak to somewhere he’s never been as a QB.
he didnt fire moore because moore knew the terminology and Mike didnt want to come in a disturb the relationship not knowing how they do things just yet

and also Jerry wasnt going to let Moore be fired as he thought the sun shined outta Kellen's butt

Mannix

Reaction score
I’ve read and heard from several sources who I trust…Bryan Broaddus for one…how lazy he was while at Green Bay. And his continued pattern to throw on every 3rd and 1 1/2 or 2…and sometimes very low percentage passes…drives me nuts…his continued passing inside the 5 drives me insane…often on 1st down…don’t get me started on the fade routes. Please let the season play out with this guy!!!

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I have no problem admitting I was not happy with this hire, but I have since changed my mind and

like Big Mike as HC and a play-caller.

MS17

Reaction score
I feel McCarthy should get a lot of praise for what he’s done but also the fact that he coached 4 days after surgery is amazing. And he coached well. He schooled the Eagles DC. Let’s give him his due for what he’s done with the team and what he did on Sunday while recovering from surgery. He’s all in with this team. I hated Mike when we first got him but now I feel he might be the best coach since Jimmy. I’m glad we got him.
MM got a nice comment from Zack Martin after Sunday's game, "He's all about the team, and he wants to just go out there to win."
McCarthy seemed to brush off or downplay any talk last week about his illness and surgery. Business as usual, focus on the game. Kind of refreshing to see that in this ego-driven age we're in.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Hes a good coach. Plain & simple. Ive argued it on severl different boards and will continue to do it.

He turned a qb with poor mechanics, bad footwork, and average arm talent into a legitimate MVP candidate in his first year calling plays.

Put respect on his name

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Also, folks let Aaron Rodgers cloud their judgement on Mike.

“Hes an oaf”
“Hes lazy”
“He is the dumbest coach rodgers ever played with”

The same Aaron Rodgers that clamored for the Jets to hire Nathaniel “I cant Hack it” as their OC

Praxit

Reaction score
I remember when he was hired, he had a ringing endorsement from Aikman for his football mind. That's all I needed to know.
..when he got hired. I was Pleasantly surprised and happy about it. I got GOOD tingles from it.

Finally, a football coach.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The one word during the Texas Revolution was: Fuera! *(Fire)

The whole season to now, the question on site here would be: Remember what? *(The Alamo)

Yes, and this will be the 3rd straight 12 win season in a row...now I dare anyone to ask me to talk English or military crap.

Or step up and see a recruiter.

Keep on building on the past, Mike McCarthy. Go Cowboys! :starspin:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I said it before on another thread...MM is a math nerd. Introverted ...the whole 9. That's not great for a HC and leader of men, but as a play-caller...it's the perfect mind you need on the task.