Mel: I have 27 WRs with a grade in the top 4 rounds

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am not saying we should take one in the first round but we need to come away with a receiver in this draft that can be a future two next to CeeDee.

morasp

Reaction score
We'll probably drat for "perceived need" and miss out on another great WR class.

sbark

Reaction score
Find the next Puka Nacua or 2....

THinking finding WR talent in lower rounds hasnt been a strength of the coeboys draft room

morasp

Reaction score
Brugler releases his guide next week. I'll be curious to see how many have top 4 round grades.

33 WRs were drafted last year. 28 in 2022.
I was watching the guy on youtube that used to be on the fan and he claimed to have access to Brugler's top 100 and it was quite a bit different that the "consensus rankings" for quite a few players.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It appears we need to trade down for an extra pick. We have kinda back ourselves into a corner not having that 4th rounder is huge. I now think trading 24 (down ) for a 4th rounder or extra 3rd is very likely.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mel made that statement on Field Yates mock draft show yesterday.

27 WRs. That is ridiculous.
27 seems alot, but it seems like a ridiculously deep day 2 class. Alot of really good #2 types. Corley might be the best. His SB and combine may have pushed him into the top 40 in alot of drafts, but its a veey deep day 1 class as well

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It appears we need to trade down for an extra pick. We have kinda back ourselves into a corner not having that 4th rounder is huge. I now think trading 24 (down ) for a 4th rounder or extra 3rd is very likely.
Could happen, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Cowboys rarely seek a trade down in the first round. The only time I remember them really seeking one out was 2013, which was an incredibly weak 1st and they knew that no one would be their worth their pick. The only other trade down we made in the first in the last 16 was Parsons. That one they lost their targets and dropped down a couple slots knowing they could get their guy

This is a strong day 1. Cowboys go by the logic that that means they will have a top talent available at 24 that wont be available if they drop down

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Could happen, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Cowboys rarely seek a trade down in the first round. The only time I remember them really seeking one out was 2013, which was an incredibly weak 1st and they knew that no one would be their worth their pick. The only other trade down we made in the first in the last 16 was Parsons. That one they lost their targets and dropped down a couple slots knowing they could get their guy

This is a strong day 1. Cowboys go by the logic that that means they will have a top talent available at 24 that wont be available if they drop down
What's crazy about this is every year we question the talent left after the Cowboys pick but teams still find top talent. Hell, look at last year, what we left on the bones for Mazi Smith. This is just me but I think we can still find a starter at 28 or 29, especially this year with so many holes to fill.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's crazy about this is every year we question the talent left after the Cowboys pick but teams still find top talent. Hell, look at last year, what we left on the bones for Mazi Smith. This is just me but I think we can still find a starter at 28 or 29, especially this year with so many holes to fill.
Keep in mind we turned down a trade down offer from the Chiefs, who were going to draft Smith.

One of the things fans do to themselves every years is convince themselves that a trade down is a strong possibility, even a likelihood. With this organization it is definitely not. They have traded down in the 1st round only 3 times in the last 20 years. It could happen, but they way they do things it's neither a strong possibility and definitely not a likelihood

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One of the things fans do to themselves every years is convince themselves that a trade down is a strong possibility,
Man.....I'm not a pro draft guru so you don't have to be one to know we need more picks. Not having that 4th rounder is huge, even more so since we passed on signing any free agents. So are you saying we CAN"T find a day-one starter if move from 24 to 28/29?????

BTW......not sure what you are saying about "every year". My first time suggesting a trade-down.......never claim to know more but it seems like a smart move THS YEAR.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man.....I'm not a pro draft guru so you don't have to be one to know we need more picks. Not having that 4th rounder is huge, even more so since we passed on signing any free agents. So are you saying we CAN"T find a day-one starter if move from 24 to 28/29?????

BTW......not sure what you are saying about "every year". My first time suggesting a trade-down.......never claim to know more but it seems like a smart move THS YEAR.
Im just trying to tell you that its very unlikely the Cowboys trade down. Its not the way they do things

Im not talking about you specifically. Every year year fans talk about trading down to the point that they convince themselves that its a likelihood, and cant be convinced that its not our mostly like course of action. Fans do it every year. Ignore long term trends to convince themselves that what they want to happen is what is likely to happen

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Im not interested in getting a 4th in this draft at all. I want a 3rd, and if cant get one I want a 2025 pick. This day 3 class is very weak. You are unlikely to get guys better than Joe Jackson/Jalen Jelks outside the top 100 this year. This years day 3 is not a good place to fill gaps

rambo2

Reaction score
Mel made that statement on Field Yates mock draft show yesterday.

27 WRs. That is ridiculous.
The Texans should have drafted one instead of trading pick 23 and then trading for Diggs. It would be nice if the Cowboys could snag one somehow in the 2nd. It's going to be an interesting draft.

rambo2

Reaction score
A huge miss if we don't get one.

Cooks and Dak never really vibed. And I'm skeptical Tolbert will ever be more than a 300 yds a year guy.
They better hit on whoever they draft in the top 3 rounds. M. Corley and Xavier Legette are good fits for the Cowboys.

rambo2

Reaction score
Im just trying to tell you that its very unlikely the Cowboys trade down. Its not the way they do things

Im not talking about you specifically. Every year year fans talk about trading down to the point that they convince themselves that its a likelihood, and cant be convinced that its not our mostly like course of action. Fans do it every year. Ignore long term trends to convince themselves that what they want to happen is what is likely to happen
They did trade down just a few years ago when they drafted Parsons.