Mel: I have 27 WRs with a grade in the top 4 rounds

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They did it once in the last 4. That's 25 percent recently.
Thats the best you can counter with is a 25% chance?

Thats also the only time we have done itnin the 10 since hiring McClay. Thats 10%

Jfconrow

Reaction score
A huge miss if we don't get one.

Cooks and Dak never really vibed. And I'm skeptical Tolbert will ever be more than a 300 yds a year guy.
Its got to suck putting in all that work in the offseason and practices all year to only catch 30 balls a year as the #3 guy. Really running all those routes at full speed to only catch 1 or 2 balls a game, if that. Maybe he gets 1 TD. That's got to be tough. Look at Noah Brown, its like they just never got a chance in Dallas. So they go to another team and break out. Dak doesn't even look at the 3rd WR very often unless its a designed 3rd down play,. I really wish they would spread it around more, or use the TE alot like 10 cathces a game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Im not interested in getting a 4th in this draft at all. I want a 3rd, and if cant get one I want a 2025 pick. This day 3 class is very weak. You are unlikely to get guys better than Joe Jackson/Jalen Jelks outside the top 100 this year. This years day 3 is not a good place to fill gaps
You didn't answer this question..........it's my point. If we can trade down a few spots, pick up an extra 3rd rounder, and STILL draft a day-one starter, it just makes sense. Again, I'm not saying it is something that's done every year because it's not, but it just makes sense this year.

So are you saying we CAN"T find a day-one starter if move from 24 to 28/29?????

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
27 seems alot, but it seems like a ridiculously deep day 2 class. Alot of really good #2 types. Corley might be the best. His SB and combine may have pushed him into the top 40 in alot of drafts, but its a veey deep day 1 class as well
I just don’t see him as that type of prospect. I think he goes backend of R2 at the earliest, but more than likely somewhere in R3. Just my eval on him. We’ll see.

Carter

Reaction score
RB and Tackle are such big needs I can't see WR even being considered before rounds 3 or 4 if not later.
Add to that Center and possibly LB

In an ideal scenario the Cowboys trade back to grab another 3rd oder 4th and go

1. O-Line
2. RB
3. O-Line / LB
3./4. WR

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You didn't answer this question..........it's my point. If we can trade down a few spots, pick up an extra 3rd rounder, and STILL draft a day-one starter, it just makes sense. Again, I'm not saying it is something that's done every year because it's not, but it just makes sense this year.

So are you saying we CAN"T find a day-one starter if move from 24 to 28/29?????

I never said they couldnt. I said dont count on the Cowboys trading down in the first. Its a rarity

Brooksey

Reaction score
Mel made that statement on Field Yates mock draft show yesterday.

27 WRs. That is ridiculous.
Xavier Legette or Malachi Corley would make our offense very dangerous and take pressure off Cee Dee Lamb

Mr_437

Reaction score
33 WRs were drafted last year. 28 in 2022.
WRs are going to be de-valued like RBs are now due to surplus and more day 1 ready rookies.

I am not saying we should take one in the first round but we need to come away with a receiver in this draft that can be a future two next to CeeDee.
What type or style of WR do you think will mesh well with CeeDee's game and the Cowboys passing game?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
WRs are going to be de-valued like RBs are now due to surplus and more day 1 ready rookies.

What type or style of WR do you think will mesh well with CeeDee's game and the Cowboys passing game?
I think the Tar Heel kid would work well as 3rd/4th round pick but I think there are like 20 receivers that could have an impact

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys passing offense has the potential to be the best in football with 3 moves in the draft. Draft an offensive lineman in the first to develop alongside Tyler either at center or tackle, draft an all purpose running back that can receive as well as run the football and draft a young Gallup type of receiver. The Cowboys have CeeDee and Ferguson who certainly is one of the best receiving duo in the game. They just need to be able to punish teams that try to take them away.,

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
A huge miss if we don't get one.

Cooks and Dak never really vibed. And I'm skeptical Tolbert will ever be more than a 300 yds a year guy.
I expect this team to tab Tolbert as the Gallup replacement.

Still think we need a true #2 WR.....Would be pretty tempting if Brian Thomas Jr is still in the board.

visionary

Reaction score
Add to that Center and possibly LB

In an ideal scenario the Cowboys trade back to grab another 3rd oder 4th and go

1. O-Line
2. RB
3. O-Line / LB
3./4. WR
Ideal would be

1: OL/DL
2. OL/DL
3: RB
4/5: LB

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dane has 21 WRs with a 4th round grade or better and 1 other with a 4th-5th round grade.

He has 17 WRs in his top 100.

Last edited:

Mcsports

Reaction score
To look at the entire argument, how many times have cowboys traded up in the last 20 years? Claiborne comes to mind