Mel Kiper Draft takes

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kiper is no Joel Buschsbaum (he is missed for us draft nuts).

However the good and the bad of Kiper is that he helped build up the draft and many other so called Draft Gurus.

Kiper has made some crazy predictions about some players being great that turned into busts. However he has also has called some decent picks.

Kiper still makes his money and if you call him out on a bad pick...so what.

You have GMs and Scouts that cost teams millions of dollars and hurt them long term.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This same youtube was posted a couple of days ago

a few posts down were pretty legendary mistakes and/or opinions by Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, with the point being that every single person has been wrong dozens, if not hundreds of times regarding the draft. Kiper obviously included.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Kiper’s a moron, have no idea how he got that job not knowing anything about football. I don’t understand TV announcers. Maybe he’d make a better weather man.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Kiper is no Joel Buschsbaum (he is missed for us draft nuts).

However the good and the bad of Kiper is that he helped build up the draft and many other so called Draft Gurus.

Kiper has made some crazy predictions about some players being great that turned into busts. However he has also has called some decent picks.

Kiper still makes his money and if you call him out on a bad pick...so what.

You have GMs and Scouts that cost teams millions of dollars and hurt them long term.
I'd venture to guess that he's wrong much more often than GM's and Scouts are.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'd venture to guess that he's wrong much more often than GM's and Scouts are.
Probably because he evaluates hundreds of players, and we tend to hear his predictions. Outside of the players a GM or scout drafts, we don't hear the hundreds of players they evaluate. We only generally know of the ones they pick.
So it stands to reason that we're going to hear more of his busts.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Hes been a hell of a lot more right than the Cowboys over the last 25 years.
Some get their takes from talking heads who do not know anything about football. Kiper has never played football. He played junior varsity baseball before hurting his arm so he has no clue about organized sports of any kind. Has never coached and has never been a scout.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Probably because he evaluates hundreds of players, and we tend to hear his predictions. Outside of the players a GM or scout drafts, we don't hear the hundreds of players they evaluate. We only generally know of the ones they pick.
So it stands to reason that we're going to hear more of his busts.
Some get their takes from talking heads who do not know anything about football. Kiper has never played football. He played junior varsity baseball before hurting his arm so he has no clue about organized sports of any kind. Has never coached and has never been a scout.

ghst187

Reaction score
It’s not just that he’s terrible at his job, it’s that he makes his draft declarations so arrogantly.
He acts as if he’s the god of the draft and he’s terrible at it, like so bad a five year old could go on screen and have similar success. It’s his arrogance that makes me despise him. He shuts down others when anyone disagrees with him and acts offended to be challenged. Unbelievable ESPN pays him to be so bad.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And he was still more right than the Cowboys over the last 25 years.

Great point, bro.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So no proof. Of course I knew that all along. What was his evaluation of Wentz? :laugh:

When the Cowboys thought they drafted well under this same front office in 1995, Mel said they didn't.

When the Cowboys thought they drafted well under this same front office in 1996, Mel said they didn't.

When the Cowboys thought they drafted well under this same front office in 1997, Mel said they didn't.

Should I go on?