Mel Kiper Draft takes

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Don't you think that if they played football they would be better at scouting? SMH

WOULD doesn't necessarily mean WILL.

I mean, Bill Belichick (or Bill Walsh or John Madden or Jimmy Johnson) never played NFL football, and, yet, he is a better coach than those who did like Ken Whisenhunt, Dick Jauron, Jeff Fisher, Herm Edwards, Jack Del Rio (well, you get the picture).

And he is because simply playing the game isn't the sole determinant of whether a coach becomes a great coach - especially in an endeavor that relies heavily upon observational, administrative and teaching skills as opposed to physical skills.

Similarly, one can be a great scout and be better at his craft than one who has played football and is not.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
WOULD doesn't necessarily mean WILL.

I mean, Bill Belichick (or Bill Walsh or John Madden or Jimmy Johnson) never played NFL football, and, yet, he is a better coach than those who did like Ken Whisenhunt, Dick Jauron, Jeff Fisher, Herm Edwards, Jack Del Rio (well, you get the picture).

And he is because simply playing the game isn't the sole determinant of whether a coach becomes a great coach - especially in an endeavor that relies heavily upon observational, administrative and teaching skills as opposed to physical skills.

Similarly, one can be a great scout and be better at his craft than one who has played football and is not.
Bill Belichek, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh all played college football and Madden played in the American Football League. They all have insight that those that haven't played would never have.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Bill Belichek, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh all played college football and Madden played in the American Football League. They all have insight that those that haven't played would never have.
And many scouts have played college ball and high school ball. Shrug.
Anyway, I acknowledge your point. It is reasonable, but I think a person can be a good scout without having played pro ball. But I don't have any stats to back up success rates either way so ... we'll agree to disagree.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Im not saying I dont read Kiper or other paper boys but reviewing paper boy mocks after drafts is clear evidence their lazy efforts in making picks. We have a few members right here that are at least equal the mediamockers

CapnB

Reaction score
Dudes takes on MK is kinda dumb. A lot of those players he missed on, a lot of people missed on.

kskboys

Reaction score
Don't you think that if they played football they would be better at scouting? SMH
Possibly, but playing football and scouting football are two entirely skillsets. Why would you think they'd be the same?

timb2

Reaction score
I keep searching for Mel Kiper very first appearance on ESPN. He talks a bunch of stuff now you recognize he is just babbling and just trying to spout football jargon...Stuff like he was saying " This player has a smooth back pedal and nice hip turn and frame to be a player."

Croomraider

Reaction score
People who think Kiper is trash probably loved the kelvin joesph pick when Asante Samuel Jr. was right there on kiper's big board. lol
Or maybe the Tyrsten Hill pick when DK Metcalf was right there on kiper's board..... lmaoooooooo

Hardline

Reaction score
I have a very good draft prediction rate that makes Kiper look like a laughing stock.
I should be cashing in on it.
Just about every player that I want the Cowboys to draft that are still on the board end up being studs .