Mel Kiper: Jimmy Williams @ FS for Cowboys

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2377037:starspin

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I dont want any secondary player in the 1st.

Will Cedric Griffin from Texas be there with our 2nd pick?

Im startin to think we need to just trade down.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2377037:starspin

Isn't Sims smaller than Coakley? Why would Dallas be interested in another pixie LB if Big Bill is looking for behemoths? :huh:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:
Isn't Sims smaller than Coakley? Why would Dallas be interested in another pixie LB if Big Bill is looking for behemoths? :huh:

The answer is we wouldn't be. However, I think we did bring in Sims for a looksee, and that's probably what made him list Sims. I can't imagine why Parcells would want him, so it was probably smokescreen bringing him in.

JPM

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:

Move him to FS, maybe ?

JFlgn

Reaction score
Williams makes sense. Parcells loves those Va Tech guys. He says they always know how to play special teams well. It's definitely a possibility.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
I dont want any secondary player in the 1st.

Will Cedric Griffin from Texas be there with our 2nd pick?

Im startin to think we need to just trade down.

he might be, Griffin is a good player a team before us in the second might draft him possibly the raiders as they need help with there corner back position

aikemirv

Reaction score
2006-2007 stats predictions
J. Jones- 1500-1700 yrds 12 tds
D. Bledsoe-4000-4500 yrds 25-30 tds 5-10 ints
T.Owens 1400-1600 yrds 13-17 tds
T. Glenn 1200-1400 yrds 12-15 tds
R. Williams 80-100 tackles 5 ints
T.Newman 50-70 tackles 9-12 ints
A. Henry 40-60 tackles 6-8 ints
D. Ware 70-90 tackles 9-13.5 sacks

What dream world are you living in?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
theogt said:
Seven Words: BIG GAPING HOLE AT STRONG OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

I've been thinking that the most likely player who could slide to that 18th spot is Chad Greenway. That would be a Parcells type LBer.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I've been thinking that the most likely player who could slide to that 18th spot is Chad Greenway. That would be a Parcells type LBer.
Could be, if Lawson isn't there. We'll just have to watch #12 and #16. If neither take an OLB we'll trade down. If both take an OLB we'll snag who's left.

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

LOL exactly because with those numbers they might as well hand deliver the Superbowl. I highly doubt even 1/4th of that list comes true!!!

Eskimo

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

Everyone has been talking lately about how soft Greenway is - doesn't like contact. His measurables were also pretty pedestrian at the Combine. The SOLB in a 3-4 has to be a very physical player with coverage skills and some pass rush skills. I think Greenway, Wimberly and Lawson are all poor fits in this regard. The only way I see us taking Wimberly or Lawson is if we plan on moving Ware to SOLB.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
aikemirv said:

:laugh2: there predictions...i can wish right?:p: ands its not like they are not accivable stats

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt said:
Seven Words: BIG GAPING HOLE AT STRONG OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

SOLB is not all that bad relative to FS. Im sure we can get average production out of Singleton/Burnett/Thronton. Davis needs to be replaced. Bad coverage skills combined with zero recognition leaves much to be desired.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Everyone has been talking lately about how soft Greenway is - doesn't like contact. His measurables were also pretty pedestrian at the Combine. The SOLB in a 3-4 has to be a very physical player with coverage skills and some pass rush skills. I think Greenway, Wimberly and Lawson are all poor fits in this regard. The only way I see us taking Wimberly or Lawson is if we plan on moving Ware to SOLB.
Lawson's coverage ability is certainly a question mark, but his speed alone at least begins to answer that question. There's always a risk pickin a small 4-3 DE to play 3-4 OLB but Lawson has all the qualities you can look for if you plan on taking that risk.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Jimmy Williams in round 1, just as long as there are some stud OLBs still in the draft. The intrigue about Williams is that he can play either FS or CB, and he has a nose for the ball and can make solid tackles. The problem is that the vacant OLB may be the most important position in the 3-4 other than NT, and right now, we don't have anyone to play there unless Ayodele stay at OLB as opposed to moving inside like Parcells intends.. We need someone to play opposite Ware, and if the best OLBs are going fast, then I feel we must get one while we can and find a FS in round 2 or 3.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
SOLB is not all that bad relative to FS. Im sure we can get average production out of Singleton/Burnett/Thronton. Davis needs to be replaced. Bad coverage skills combined with zero recognition leaves much to be desired.
I simply disagree. We don't know how Singleton is going to pan out. I thought he was servicable but not a solid option prior to injury last year. His injury could take him from average to below average. Last I heard Burnett won't even be healed for training camp, and there's even question of whether he'll be available for week 1. You can get a starting FS in round 2 or 3 or still even pick up Coleman in FA. FS is nowhere near the need that SOLB is. That's just crazy talk.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm a big Jimmy Williams fan, but that would be 3 DBs drafted in the first round in 5 years. And we are really light at OLB as well. I dunno - that's a lot of cap charge to the secondary. Not saying it isn't worth it - but an OLB would make us better too, as would a OL.