Mel Kiper: Jimmy Williams @ FS for Cowboys

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
What about getting Williams in the first and then getting Mark Anderson in the 2nd round?

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
While I like the measureables of Williams, I can't see us takeing him in the first.Hopefully someone like Whitner will make it to us in the 2nd ( but that might be wishfull thinking ).
The more we keep talking about the draft, the more I beleave it will be an OLBer, for me I would like to see Carpenter or Wimbley, big strong at the point of attack, and can cover. Lawson would be 3rd on my list simply because he is not as big as the other 2 - but could gain the body type I'm sure...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Im really surprised that most here feel that Williams will somehow slide and be there at 18 for us. Dont think it will happen at that spot, Williams is moving up draft boards not down with his recent workouts.
With the money available this year , those who doubt spending big cash in the secondary since we already have big contracts there should re-think the situation.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Typhus said:
Im really surprised that most here feel that Williams will somehow slide and be there at 18 for us. Dont think it will happen at that spot, Williams is moving up draft boards not down with his recent workouts.
With the money available this year , those who doubt spending big cash in the secondary since we already have big contracts there should re-think the situation.

That's why I think if Williams did slide to us at #18 we'd have to snap him up. He's versatile, and we may be able to get a Carpenter in the 2nd round. This is a deep draft for OLBs. Williams and Huff are rare, because they can play CB and FS. Does it really matter where we've drafted DBs before?? We also drafted Ware at OLB last year in round 1. If anything it says we like to take DBs in round 1, and may do so again.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Typhus said:

Don't get me wrong - we'd have one of, if not the, best secondaries in football. And you are right - he might not even be there that late - he is a fantastic competitor in a tough conference. He really has few faults.

But it would still remain that out secondary would be our absolute highest cap eater on our team. Not that that's horrible - it just seems that you are better served putting that money into your front seven, not back 4.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
That's why I think if Williams did slide to us at #18 we'd have to snap him up. He's versatile, and we may be able to get a Carpenter in the 2nd round. This is a deep draft for OLBs. Williams and Huff are rare, because they can play CB and FS. Does it really matter where we've drafted DBs before?? We also drafted Ware at OLB last year in round 1. If anything it says we like to take DBs in round 1, and may do so again.

There are a few players that would bring a smile to this face if they slipped to 18.
Cutler....:laugh1: ..remember.. keyword.. "slipped".. for Cutler, that would be more like a mega water slide ride down.

Williams... in a dream at 18, would complete this secondary, and allow Newman and Roy to play their game, and not have to check down on the other side of the field like they had to do with Davis... rewatch some game tape, and you would be amazed,, maybe not,, how many times Roy and T-New were caught looking over at Davis at the snap to check his posistion rather than watching the snap of the ball.

Jackson/Mcneil... should both be a more realistic scenario at 18. Wont pound my head on the floor if either names are on the card.

Huff....:D OK, really big grins here,,, wait a minute,,, I just caught my self dreaming again.... this aint happening ,, but one can dream cant he??

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Don't get me wrong - we'd have one of, if not the, best secondaries in football. And you are right - he might not even be there that late - he is a fantastic competitor in a tough conference. He really has few faults.

But it would still remain that out secondary would be our absolute highest cap eater on our team. Not that that's horrible - it just seems that you are better served putting that money into your front seven, not back 4.

I absolutely respect what your saying Crown,,, but championship teams are often built by redefining the rules,, and who says that a killer secondary is less value than any other area.

IMHO, this defense is not that far off, and yes, we do need a bookend to Ware at SOLB, but this draft is deep enough to possibly move up in to the early second and grab a Carpenter if need be,, others could fill this role as well later.

High speed DB's typically start gaining posistion on draft boards nearing draft day, and Williams is a top 3-4 DB in this draft for sure.

Versatile DB, that has the instincts and ability to play either FS or CB, is an asset that BP covets, as well as many other head coaches in the know.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Typhus said:
There are a few players that would bring a smile to this face if they slipped to 18.
Cutler....:laugh1: ..remember.. keyword.. "slipped".. for Cutler, that would be more like a mega water slide ride down.

Williams... in a dream at 18, would complete this secondary, and allow Newman and Roy to play their game, and not have to check down on the other side of the field like they had to do with Davis... rewatch some game tape, and you would be amazed,, maybe not,, how many times Roy and T-New were caught looking over at Davis at the snap to check his posistion rather than watching the snap of the ball.

Jackson/Mcneil... should both be a more realistic scenario at 18. Wont pound my head on the floor if either names are on the card.

Huff....:D OK, really big grins here,,, wait a minute,,, I just caught my self dreaming again.... this aint happening ,, but one can dream cant he??

McNeil? As in Reggie?

That would be almost as much a blow to me as signing TO.:bang2:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Typhus said:
I absolutely respect what your saying Crown,,, but championship teams are often built by redefining the rules,, and who says that a killer secondary is less value than any other area.

IMHO, this defense is not that far off, and yes, we do need a bookend to Ware at SOLB, but this draft is deep enough to possibly move up in to the early second and grab a Carpenter if need be,, others could fill this role as well later.

High speed DB's typically start gaining posistion on draft boards nearing draft day, and Williams is a top 3-4 DB in this draft for sure.

Versatile DB, that has the instincts and ability to play either FS or CB, is an asset that BP covets, as well as many other head coaches in the know.

Can't disagree with that at all. That one player might help us immensely. I would most definitely go for him, I would just think about it a few seconds first.:)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
McNeil? As in Reggie?

That would be almost as much a blow to me as signing TO.:bang2:

I know, I know,, its a character flaw of mine,, just not trying to get my hopes to high... aight....:)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Can't disagree with that at all. That one player might help us immensely. I would most definitely go for him, I would just think about it a few seconds first.:)

A few seconds?,, maybe 1 at the most. Williams should be a top ten by the end of April. Just watch how fast the top DB's in this draft start flying off the board... always happens.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Just an FYI from TSN ............

The stock of Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, long thought to be the No. 1 cornerback in the '06 draft and a possible top-five overall pick, is in a freefall. And a couple NFL coaches have told us that he is off their teams' draft boards all together.

Virginia Tech's on-campus workout for scouts, coaches and front office personnel was one of the most highly anticipated of the pro-day series. The event took place Thursday, with Williams the star attraction, but results have been kept under wraps. Normally, reports on such a high-profile workout would be out the same day.

Coaches and scouts in attendance have been very tight-lipped, leading us to believe there is great debate about Williams' performance. We now have the first word:

Williams measured 6-2 and 216 pounds, about 3 pounds heavier than he weighed at the NFL Combine last month. He ran in the mid-4.4's in the 40, but what followed has scouts concerned. Williams' vertical jump was only 33 inches, and his broad jump was only 9-feet, 8 inches. He could bench press 225 pounds only 12 times, and one coach in attendance said he thought Williams wasn't going to make it past 10.

It didn't get better from there. He ran the three-cone drill in 6.69 seconds and the short shuttle in 4.10 seconds; those numbers are average for an NFL cornerback. He also was inconsistent catching passes during position drills, meaning he might not be able to make many interceptions in the NFL.

Bottom line: Williams is a big guy who can run but lacks explosiveness and strength. He takes risks and is undisciplined, and he shows poor work habits and questionable character. Plus, he turned off many coaches and scouts at the NFL Combine when he didn't work out and then showed a cockiness and bad attitude during interviews with team officials. After a poor senior season and poor NFL Combine appearance, Williams needed an elite performance Thursday. Instead, he looked pedestrian.

Williams' stock is hurt even more when you consider the current NFL rules governing defensive play. Under the old rules, Williams' big, physical frame and straight-line speed would allow him to play in press coverage and dominate at the line of scrimmage. With the "no contact after 5 yards" rule now being called stringently in the NFL, Williams will be limited to a cover-2 scheme.

Williams has good size, but his cornerback movements are not strong. He doesn't twist well or open his hips quickly and smoothly, and that will cause problems against NFL receivers. The Virginia Tech coaches recognized this during the season and tried him at safety, but he struggled terribly. He lacks the intellect and ball skills to play safety, despite meeting the size and straight-line speed requirements.

Finally, Williams' decision to not workout at the NFL Combine has come back to haunt him tenfold. Had he worked out poorly at the Combine, scouts would have written it off as a bad day and he would have had the opportunity to improve at his on-campus workout. Now, scouts must take his workout at face value and assume he is what he is -- a big, fast player with limited football skills and instincts.

The good news is the '06 cornerback class is not deep, likely limiting Williams' fall to the middle of Day 1.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:
Isn't Sims smaller than Coakley? Why would Dallas be interested in another pixie LB if Big Bill is looking for behemoths? :huh:
This Sims talk is getting on my nerves. The first thing BP says when asked about linebackers, is that he doesn't like small LBrs. That's why players like Coakley and Nugyen are off this team.
If we draft this guy, then BP is is losing his mind in his older stage in life.

ghst187

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I've been thinking that the most likely player who could slide to that 18th spot is Chad Greenway. That would be a Parcells type LBer.
except that he sucks and runs around blockers instead of taking them on...BP loves that...not. That was exactly BP's criticism of Derrick Johnson last year and Greenway isn't half the player DJ was in college.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
This Sims talk is getting on my nerves. The first thing BP says when asked about linebackers, is that he doesn't like small LBrs. That's why players like Coakley and Nugyen are off this team.
If we draft this guy, then BP is is losing his mind in his older stage in life.

Look man,, size will be a thing of the past in the near future... Nike is coming out with a high heeled field cleat, that will give short players a much needed advantage.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Typhus said:
Look man,, size will be a thing of the past in the near future... Nike is coming out with a high heeled field cleat, that will give short players a much needed advantage.

High-heeled cleats would eliminate short LBs all together. Everytime someone wearing them would try to run, he'd probably break his own ankles.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I question whether Jimmy Williams would even want to play safety instead of corner.

Corners make more money over the length of their careers, and with his reported attitude problems, do the Cowboys/Parcells really want to gamble on a guy who may not want to play free safety?

After the Derek Ross experiment, I say we're going to go a different direction even if JW is around at pick No. 18.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Typhus said:
:laugh2: . Yeah, and soon they will be coming around with stilts for short basketball players.

Hiero

Reaction score
I really hope we dont take a safety in the first. Sims and Greenway are also not options for me. Greenway is way too weak, and I dont think Sims fits the 3-4.

RealCowboyfan said:
Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2377037:starspin

skinsscalper

Reaction score
This Williams talk is hog wash also. JJ said not more than two days ago that FS will not be one of our top two picks. I expect us to start turning over some rocks in the 3-5 rounds as far as safety goes.

SS