Mel Kiper: Jimmy Williams @ FS for Cowboys

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
skinsscalper said:
JJ said not more than two days ago that FS will not be one of our top two picks.

While Jerry is the dog wagging his tail at the poker table, even he's not foolish enough to tip his hand like that.

He also reportedly said he wasn't interested in Owens.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Chief said:
He takes risks and is undisciplined, and he shows poor work habits and questionable character. Plus, he turned off many coaches and scouts at the NFL Combine when he didn't work out and then showed a cockiness and bad attitude during interviews with team officials. After a poor senior season and poor NFL Combine appearance, Williams needed an elite performance Thursday. Instead, he looked pedestrian....

The good news is the '06 cornerback class is not deep, likely limiting Williams' fall to the middle of Day 1.

First of all, I thought cockiness was something some NFL scouts and coaches liked... How do you tell what's "too cocky?"

And secondly, I'd definitely take a flyer on him in the 2nd round if he's there... Then if we don't and he's there the 3rd, take him. I'm not saying we need to trade for the guy, but if he's BPA and fits our needs, why not?

proline

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Kiper had us taking Jason Allen at #18, with Jimmy Williams still on the board. This was on Sports Center this evening. So I guess he sure changes his mind quickly, doesn't he?

VThokie7

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
I question whether Jimmy Williams would even want to play safety instead of corner.

Corners make more money over the length of their careers, and with his reported attitude problems, do the Cowboys/Parcells really want to gamble on a guy who may not want to play free safety?

After the Derek Ross experiment, I say we're going to go a different direction even if JW is around at pick No. 18.

Jimmy played FS his first few years at Virginia Tech. It wasn't until his junior year that Beamer moved him to CB. So I don't think he'd have any problem with making the switch. He is a very physical player, so I think safety probaly is his best position because he can hit and sometimes has trouble in coverage at the CB spot. FS would mask his weakness and utilize his strengthes

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
I dont want any secondary player in the 1st.

Will Cedric Griffin from Texas be there with our 2nd pick?

Love the idea i would take him in round 2-3 he is a playmaker

the_h0wey

Reaction score
okay didnt jerry already say we are exploring the FA market to address the FS position??? In the same article it said that we would not take a FS on the first day....

ZB9

Reaction score
Ernie Sims would upgrade the LB corp immediately (and no, he is not Coakley size for whomever said that, Sims has good size for a LB)

...also, i wonder why no one is talking about Demeco Ryans? Ryans is a very athletic LB with prototypical size. Personally, i would rather have him than Greenway.

JPM

Reaction score
If we are looking a LB, I like
Carpenter
Lawson
Wimbley
Those three have the size to play OLB in the 3-4.