Twitter: Mel Kiper on Morris Claiborne Draft Pick

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So 3 months after I made that post in the 1st game of the season for USC.

Of course people were on to it by December 1. Cat was out of the bag by then.
So you watched 1 game and made the post? Dude, you’re embarrassing yourself.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cherriesbyseandreilinger1.jpg

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's funny is this is posted by a guy you know damn right well celebrated the pick at the time. He's never met a Cowboys move he didn't like when it's made.

I hated it. Hated the Carr signing too. Was a horrific waste of resources on a position that doesn't matter when you get dominated along both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Swagger

Reaction score

Swagger

Reaction score
People hate giving other people their damn respect on here it's so funny.

Catch made a good call. He liked Herbert (as did I) last year and hey ho Rookie of the Year and he was carried by his running back and offensive line either

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What's funny is this is posted by a guy you know damn right well celebrated the pick at the time. He's never met a Cowboys move he didn't like when it's made.

I hated it. Hated the Carr signing too. Was a horrific waste of resources on a position that doesn't matter when you get dominated along both sides of the line of scrimmage.
Not sure about celebrating but I always give the player a chance before making a judgement.

John813

Reaction score
Only in Dallas would you pay $50m for one corner and give up huge draft capital for another to run a press man scheme. Only to scrap that scheme and change it completely the next year. Every GM not named Jones gets fired for such inept team building

This times 1000.

They spent big money and draft picks for Rob's scheme and then did a 180 for the defense.

Man coverage with exotic schemes to zone based coordinators and finger painting level schemes.

Carr may of never lived up to that deal even with Ryan, but his greatest strength was neutered by switching our philosophies on defense.

Now, it's not to say Kiffin/Rod never ran man coverages, they did, but I honestly can't remember them running any sort of press to go with the corners strengths.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oh boy....the memories lol......but I stand by this to this day.....Cowboys signing Brandon Carr and drafting Mo Claibonre made complete sense and I'd do it again. At the end of the day.....I Think those injuries every single season in training camp hurt Mo more than anything. Mo was a hell of a corner in college.
He was injured when they drafted him.
Dallas didn't do any legwork on him as they expected him to be out of range and when he fell they traded up but didn't have the info other teams did on Mo.

Mo is probably a better player than given credit for but this was a front office failure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was injured when they drafted him.
Dallas didn't do any legwork on him as they expected him to be out of range and when he fell they traded up but didn't have the info other teams did on Mo.

Mo is probably a better player than given credit for but this was a front office failure.
Wasn't it a wrist injury though?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wasn't it a wrist injury though?
Yea broken wrist and/or hand.

But you can't jam people and man cover them with a broken wrist.
Then Ryan lined him up every practice against Dez who was a good 6'2" 225 and got him physically abused.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
As I suspected about Mo's college career. He got a bunch of INTs from balls thrown up for grabs against WRs running slowly who didn't compete for them.

He had a couple of very nice INTs, and looked good catching the ball generally, but in the NFL DBs won't get so many of those soft opportunities.

Mo was all illusion, with everyone projecting him as the next Patrick Peterson because he came from the same dominant school and got easy INTs, even though his combine numbers were thoroughly ordinary, and he got a 6 on his Wonderlic "because he blew it off", which should have been a *huge* red flag.
*From my understanding he'd also coasted in by riding the vapor trail tail draft of that "other" L.S.U. d.b. who manned the other corner position* as that dude had made him look better than he was.o_O

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea broken wrist and/or hand.

But you can't jam people and man cover them with a broken wrist.
Then Ryan lined him up every practice against Dez who was a good 6'2" 225 and got him physically abused.
Yeah but he ended up having leg injuries every training camp...that’s how I remember it anyway.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The right knee scope in 2015 from what I remember was his other patellar tendon being worked on.

Morris Claiborne Injury History
Date League Injury Details

Dec 4, 2019 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Claiborne sustained a shoulder injury ahead of the Week 14 game as he sat of practice. He was sidelined for the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

Dec 23, 2018 NFL Shoulder Claiborne missed the season finale.

Oct 29, 2017 NFL Pedal Foot Claiborne missed 1 game with a left foot injury.

Oct 30, 2016 NFL Inguinal Groin Sports Hernia Claiborne missed the final 9 games of the 2016 season with a sports hernia. He was able to return for Dallas' Divisional Round playoff loss.

Dec 13, 2015 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Claiborne re-injured his hamstring and missed the final 3 games of the season.

Nov 15, 2015 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Claiborne missed 2 games with a hamstring injury.

Jan 5, 2015 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Claiborne had his right knee scoped in early January 2015.

Sep 28, 2014 NFL Knee Patella Ligament Tear Claiborne tore his left pateller tendon and missed the final 12 games of the season.

Aug 13, 2014 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Separation Claiborne missed about 2 weeks of training camp and 2 preseason games with a separated A/C joint in his right shoulder.

Nov 24, 2013 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Claiborne re-injured his hamstring and missed 4 more games.

Oct 27, 2013 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Claiborne missed 2 games with a hamstring injury.

Sep 8, 2013 NFL Shoulder Dislocation Claiborne dislocated his left shoulder in the 2013 season opener. He didn't miss any games with the injury but underwent offseason surgery.

Dec 9, 2012 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Claiborne missed 1 game with a concussion.

Aug 3, 2012 NFL Knee MCL Pull Grade 1 Claiborne missed about a week of training camp with a sprained MCL.

Mar 23, 2012 Non-NFL Hand Wrist Ligament Tear Claiborne underwent surgery prior to the 2012 NFL Draft to repair a torn ligament in his left wrist.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
His only red flag was his wonderlic

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 5' 11" 46
Weight 188 lbs 29
Arm Length 33¼" 95
Hand Size 8½" 8
40 Yard Dash 4.5s 48
Vertical Jump 34" 24
Broad Jump 118" 25
3-Cone Drill 7.01s 31
20 Yard Shuttle 4.12s 59
60 Yard Shuttle 11.44s 45

Lots of yellow flags here...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This times 1000.

They spent big money and draft picks for Rob's scheme and then did a 180 for the defense.

Man coverage with exotic schemes to zone based coordinators and finger painting level schemes.

Carr may of never lived up to that deal even with Ryan, but his greatest strength was neutered by switching our philosophies on defense.

Now, it's not to say Kiffin/Rod never ran man coverages, they did, but I honestly can't remember them running any sort of press to go with the corners strengths.

Jerry seems to have a thing for "giving a guy a chance" before firing him. So Ryan got all of an offseason personnel ammo to make his defense work.

It's just so dumb. It's some weird moralism instead of smart business. When you're thinking about dumping a guy, that's exactly the time you *shouldn't* let him spend your resources. The effect of that spend lasts for years after he may be gone.

Rob did the reasonable thing in his position - spent those resources on the apparently best available to make his defense work in the next season. Try to maximize a one year time horizon. If it doesn't work, the future years are not his problem. If anything, he ends up looking better if the future DC does worse.