Mel Kiper's Big Board Updated 3/22

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Top 25 Big Board

1. Calvin Johnson*, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: Same
He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's a hard worker and very team oriented. Based on the needs of the Raiders and Lions, Johnson might not be the No. 1 overall pick, but he won't fall out of the top five.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same
Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma (6-1½, 218) | previous: Same
The most talented running back in the draft with an excellent burst to the outside for his size. The concern with Peterson is his durability.

4. JaMarcus Russell*, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: Same
Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm, and his decision-making improved significantly in 2006.

5. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: Same
Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in the Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

6. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: Same
Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career.

7. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: Same
A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield.

8. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: 9
Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams led the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

9. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 10
Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage.

10. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 11
Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

11. Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: 12
Has the size and natural receiving skills to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks. Jarrett also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

12. Greg Olsen*, Miami, TE (6-5, 254) | previous: 13
His performance at the combine should move Olsen up to the middle of the first round. Great hands and very athletic, Olsen reminds me of Baltimore Ravens tight end Todd Heap.

13. Jamaal Anderson*, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 270) | previous: 8
A gifted athlete who is coming off an exceptional 2006 season. Anderson is a complete player, equally solid against the run and as a pass rusher.

14. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 298) | previous: Same
You don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

15. Marshawn Lynch*, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: 16
Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

16. Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee (6-4 ¼, 302) | previous: 21
Prior to going down with a season-ending injury (torn biceps), Harrell was performing at the level you would expect from a first-round draft pick.

17. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 235) | previous: 22
Tackling machine with great football sense. Willis lead the Rebels with 137 tackles (87 solo).

18. Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn (6-3, 300) | previous: Same
A versatile athlete who started his career at defensive tackle and then shifted to tight end. Grubbs brings a great deal of athletic ability to the interior of the offensive line.

19. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (6-2, 217) | previous: 15
Big and productive, Bowe runs excellent routes and has the toughness to catch the ball in traffic.

20. Steve Smith, WR, USC (5-11½, 198) | previous: 17
Sure-haneded and faster than advertised at the combine (4.44 40-yard dash). Smith is one of the best receivers at doing damage after the catch.

21. Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan (6-5½, 300) | previous: 25
He's a former tight end who has developed into a natural left tackle. Staley brings incredible footwork, athleticism and agility to the position.

22. Ted Ginn Jr.*, WR, Ohio State (5-11, 175) | previous: 19
Takes a backseat to no one in the speed department, brings a big-play dimension to the wide receiver position and also the return game.

23. Ryan Kalil, C, USC (6-3, 285) | previous: Same
Game improved dramatically thanks in part to facing great competition in practice.

24. Eric Weddle, DB, Utah (5-11¼, 205) | previous: Unranked
Makes his debut on the Big Board after a standout senior season for the Utes. An incredibly intelligent player, Weddle has the versatility to play either cornerback or safety.

25. Lawrence Timmons*, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: 20
Moves right to the top of a very subpar linebacking group, particularly from the senior class. Timmons' production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you.

Dropped

Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: 24
Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

*-- Underclassman

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised at the WRs he has higher than Meachum.

And I woulda thought that Staley was higher than that.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So we are getting Tedd Ginn Jr? Wow

Jamaal Anderson
Steve Smith
thought that was funny seeing those names again

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1431644 said:
I'm kinda surprised at the WRs he has higher than Meachum.

And I woulda thought that Staley was higher than that.
I think Meachem's generally overrated on this board. He's a good prospect and is certainly worthy of a #22 pick, but I don't think it's a situation where he's clearly the #2 receiver in the draft.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Remeber, his Big Board is not where they will get drafted but how he rates them. He had a guy in his top 20 a few years ago that didn't get drafted till 6th and is out of the league.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1431666 said:
I think Meachem's generally overrated on this board. He's a good prospect and is certainly worthy of a #22 pick, but I don't think it's a situation where he's clearly the #2 receiver in the draft.

I haven't seen anyone say Meachem is the #2 WR in this draft, just only him and CJ possess the great size/speed ratio that they do

Wimbo

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1431652 said:
No way Weddle is a 1st round pick, Kiper Jr. stinks. I can't stand him...really I can't.

This is strictly so Mel can say "I had him at the top of my board in March", in case he gets picked up early.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
As an example, Kiper had both Derek Hagan and Jason Avant in his top 25 for the 2006 draft. One was drafted in the 3rd, the other the 4th.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1431673 said:
I haven't seen anyone say Meachem is the #2 WR in this draft, just only him and CJ possess the great size/speed ratio that they do

I've said it. I personally like Meachum only slightly less than Johnson. Love his size, speed, work ethic, etc. Good team guy.

Ginn is good, but I like tall WRs. The speed/hands of Meachum and the YAC ability of Crayton pleases me.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1431684 said:
As an example, Kiper had both Derek Hagan and Jason Avant in his top 25 for the 2006 draft. One was drafted in the 3rd, the other the 4th.

Even I wouldn't have had Avant that high.

As for Braylon Edwards, of course.

Look out for Mario Manningham in years to come.

He will be a junior this year and I can see him leaving early since the rest of the offensive stars are seniors.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt;1431633 said:
Dropped

Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: 24
Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

*-- Underclassman

But he is a top ten talent!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
smarta5150;1431730 said:
Yeah lets all laugh at the Michigan players, ha ha ha.

I openly laugh at all Michigan players.

Except Manningham. He's good.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Alexander;1431732 said:
I openly laugh at all Michigan players.

Except Manningham. He's good.

Jake Long would have been top 10 if he left... he would be right there with Joe Thomas.

Henne and Hart arent gonna be anything special in the NFL.

Like you said though, Manningham is good.