Mel Kiper's Big Board Updated 3/22

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1431746 said:
I'm not an OSU fan, I'm just making fun of your school :laugh2:

Well then "my" school is Rider University.

And we have been undefeated since 1951.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If one pays attention to Kiper's rating system, it's actually like just about everyone else's....he rates players according to the value he assigns to them based on their star potential, starter's potential, down to backup might make the team potential.

Then he runs the Mock draft which guesses where the players will go based on team needs and rumors.

I actually enjoy Kiper's report every year because he gives as many facts and stats on players as anyone in the country....it has always been my impression that he doesn't even take the Mock draft seriously and only does it to satisfy customers...I don't think he does that much work or gives that much energy to trying to guess what teams will take which players. Fans who are really into caring who goes where and who guesses the most picks correctly really shouldn't waste time on Kiper.

He spends most of his year and most of his energy collecting data and watching film and live games, along with talking to people who know about the players. Reading his reports helps me decide between players I'd like to see in Dallas, and frankly, I think he does a pretty good job at rating guys and he seldom freaks out over 40 times or workout warriors...he sticks to what he's seen in college and the production on the field.

That doesn't make him god or even the best at what he does, but I think when fans understand and accept the fact that he personally seems to enjoy rating the players more than he does guessing where they will go, then the fans don't get as upset with his mocks.

The guys who wait till the last second to come out with their mocks after spending tons of time talking to NFL guys and getting their guesses and opinions are the guys who obviously are more accurate guessing where guys get drafted, but for many of us, that's not what interests us about the draft.

Some of us just love reading as much info on the players as someone can gather, then we enjoy seeing what the gm's do on draft day, and we love watching to see our favorite players or at least guys we've read a lot about end up in Dallas...we even enjoy groaning when Dallas passes them by the way they did Steven Jackson.

Forget Kiper's mock draft...he's just guessing quickly and doesn't really care, but if you just want to read about everything a guy did in high school and throughout college and the combine and his pro-day workouts with only a little bit of Kiper's opinion on his Pro potential, then Kiper is your guy.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
lol wow branch out of the top 25? lol what a joke kiper has turned out to be. if branch was there at 22 i dont think dallas would last 10 seconds on the clock

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
LatinMind;1431921 said:
lol wow branch out of the top 25? lol what a joke kiper has turned out to be. if branch was there at 22 i dont think dallas would last 10 seconds on the clock

mmm hmmm

People are calling him fat and a slob but I would love if people fall into it and let him drop to us.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
smarta5150;1431947 said:
mmm hmmm

People are calling him fat and a slob but I would love if people fall into it and let him drop to us.

hell yeah. not only that but he'd be able to team with canty in the nickle inside. that would be fierce.

ellis, branch, canty, ware awsome

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I just don't get the infatuation with Bowe. I watched about 5-6 LSU games, I just don't see anything special about him. He looks so stiff and unfluid, and he's got spotty hands to boot. There's just nothing special about him. He screams Rod Gardener.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will change his big board many more times before the draft. Also keep in mind this is not a mock just a value board.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
apparently everyone has Branch slipping....it seems he showed up at the Combine and his workouts out of shape and with an attitude that his interviewers didn't take to at all.

I could very easily see a player like him dropping....how many teams are so desperate for a DT of his ilk?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Kiper is out of his mind...he gets less and less accurate every yr, and less and less informed

he used to get some good info from scouts, but I think he must be putting too much of his own opinion/bias in now...there are certain players he falls in love with every yr and if they arnt drafted where he thinks they should go he gets mad...likewise if everyone else has somebody as a 1st rd pick but he doesnt, he'll throw a similar fit

David

JPM

Reaction score
LatinMind;1431921 said:

wayne_motley;1432301 said:
apparently everyone has Branch slipping....it seems he showed up at the Combine and his workouts out of shape and with an attitude that his interviewers didn't take to at all.

I could very easily see a player like him dropping....how many teams are so desperate for a DT of his ilk?

Everything I have read is saying he is falling. He came to his pro day out of shape.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think after the problems at his workouts a lot of people are thinking he is now the second coming of Gabe Watson- NOT a good thing!!!

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
This is an unexciting run-up to the draft because we really don't have any must needs. WR, CB, NT. Those are our realistic first round options. Now that Branch is lazing his way out of the 1st round, we're likely down to WR or CB. We're not likely to get our future #1 WR at 22 in this draft and we don't need another #4-for-now prospect, which we have a few of. At CB, we need a #2 and I suppose at 22 that's about what we can expect, at least for the short term.

We've got 10 picks; way the hell more than we need but nothing worth trading up for except CJ, who is way the hell too expensive to make the move.

Anybody else feeling the draft blahs, like me?

On edit: Don't get me wrong. This is a good problem to have and a function of our improvement over the last few years and this offseason.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;1432468 said:
This is an unexciting run-up to the draft because we really don't have any must needs. WR, CB, NT. Those are our realistic first round options. Now that Branch is lazing his way out of the 1st round, we're likely down to WR or CB. We're not likely to get our future #1 WR at 22 in this draft and we don't need another #4-for-now prospect, which we have a few of. At CB, we need a #2 and I suppose at 22 that's about what we can expect, at least for the short term.

We've got 10 picks; way the hell more than we need but nothing worth trading up for except CJ, who is way the hell too expensive to make the move.

Anybody else feeling the draft blahs, like me?

On edit: Don't get me wrong. This is a good problem to have and a function of our improvement over the last few years and this offseason.
I can live with a CB selection in round 1, but if we manage to get a WR like Jarrett or Meacham, I don't think either will be a number 4 for long. Both are infinitely more talented than Crayton, imo.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1432600 said:
I can live with a CB selection in round 1, but if we manage to get a WR like Jarrett or Meacham, I don't think either will be a number 4 for long. Both are infinitely more talented than Crayton, imo.
Eh, #3, #4, what's the difference. I know there's a difference and that our number 1 pick could turn into a future starter and all that. I'm just not excited about it.

In past drafts we've had multiple holes in our starting lineup that needed plugging. We just don't have that this year. Which is a good thing, I repeat to avoid getting flamed.

dffl11

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;1432609 said:
Eh, #3, #4, what's the difference. I know there's a difference and that our number 1 pick could turn into a future starter and all that. I'm just not excited about it.

In past drafts we've had multiple holes in our starting lineup that needed plugging. We just don't have that this year. Which is a good thing, I repeat to avoid getting flamed.

I agree so much with this statement!

I would love to see Dallas get the best OL available at 22 or

one of three WR (Jarrett, Bowe, Meachem)

but most of all just address BPA by back up nneds : Center, OLB, ILB, DE, and OL. And most of all a solid 300 plus DT/NT

With Hamlin on board (i hope) we do not need to address SS or FS in any of our 1st day picks. (Roy, Davis, Hamlin, Watkins)

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
dffl31;1432623 said:
I agree so much with this statement!

I would love to see Dallas get the best OL available at 22 or

one of three WR (Jarrett, Bowe, Meachem)

but most of all just address BPA by back up nneds : Center, OLB, ILB, DE, and OL. And most of all a solid 300 plus DT/NT

With Hamlin on board (i hope) we do not need to address SS or FS in any of our 1st day picks. (Roy, Davis, Hamlin, Watkins)
A reasonable, practical list. Just gawdawful boring. This would be a great year for trading up given our extra picks and reduced needs but there's just not that much extra value there in the affordable 10-21 range at positions we need. Oh, my kingdom for a Ngata in '07.

dffl11

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;1432663 said:
A reasonable, practical list. Just gawdawful boring. This would be a great year for trading up given our extra picks and reduced needs but there's just not that much extra value there in the affordable 10-21 range at positions we need. Oh, my kingdom for a Ngata in '07.

no doubt about it, this is a boring year for us in the draft...unless Dallas starts trading away like crazy...i hope not, but you never know.

Your point was well taken by me on not being in a position of Need....We could start next season without one draft pick being a major contributor...we have the starting 22 on the roster right now along with most of our key back ups (of course that is IF we sign Hamlin)