BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayock’s last Top 100 List published April 24:

# 20) Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State

Oops

Also think the CBS mock page with multiple different peoples mocks had LVE in this general area. One had him at our pick. One had him a couple picks later.. One even had him to the Chargers before us.

I think once it started to become obvious to anyone that knows this team and paid attention they saw it was going to be LVE or another on Defense and not a WR.

Watching both NFLN and ESPN before pick it was obvious they did not pay attention. They were all babbling about WRs

I also some fans have decided that once it was obvious it was gonna be LVE that they were going to start that as their next agenda and scticht to complain about the pick ad nauseum like they have with other players in the past and some they still do with now.

CPanther95

Reaction score
LVE was going to the Titans at the absolute latest. Given that they traded up for Evans, I'll guarantee you they would have traded up to #22 for him as well. Picking that same guy at #19 is not a reach.

That's a stretch.

Rashaan Evans is a far better prospect than LVE for a 3-4 defense. The Titans traded up for Evans to jump ahead of the Patriots who likely also had Evans high on their board. Even if LVE was available at #25, the fact that they liked Evans doesn't mean they would have taken LVE if he was the only one left - much less trade up to get him.

Still don't think LVE at #19 was a bad pick - or even a reach - based on what the pundits have said about him.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
That's a stretch.

Rashaan Evans is a far better prospect than LVE for a 3-4 defense. The Titans traded up for Evans to jump ahead of the Patriots who likely also had Evans high on their board. Even if LVE was available at #25, the fact that they liked Evans doesn't mean they would have taken LVE if he was the only one left - much less trade up to get him.

The Titans actually booked a pre-draft visit with LVE, but cancelled it because they didn't think he'd make to #25. I think it's safe to say they would've traded up for him if he was there at #22.

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
Someone who forgot more about the NFL Draft than our GM and VP of Personnel will ever know, fan boy.

No. He's not related to the owner.

Were games played then?

What is strange is that you regard these people as authority.

The Cowboys invited the guy for a visit. They WORKED HIM OUT privately and have probably been following him for some time before the draft. How on earth can you or the guy you are advocating to know better than them? Don't you ever think that they might have a reason for taking LVE while Evans is still there.

Oh I am sorry, wish they had Mel Kiper as an adviser...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is strange is that you regard these people as authority.

The Cowboys invited the guy for a visit. They WORKED HIM OUT privately and have probably been following him for some time before the draft. How on earth can you or the guy you are advocating to know better than them? Don't you ever think that they might have a reason for taking LVE while Evans is still there.

Oh I am sorry, wish they had Mel Kiper as an adviser...

Two things.

1) If what you said was true teams wouldn't have bad draft classes.

2) The same people who WORKED HIM OUT also have overseen 20 plus years of failure including many very bad draft decisions.

You'll never understand. I don't let the team think for me.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Who is Mel Kiper?

Is he working with the Cowboys front office?

Did he attend to the special workout of LVE in Dallas?

Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah are much more credible than Mel Kiper. Mayock had LVE #20 on his top 100 and Daniel Jeremiah had him at #28. That being said, I will take Will McClay's opinion over all 3 of them.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I just love that Mel Kiper scoreboard isen likes to use
Allen has physical concerns. Mayfield has physical and mental concerns. He also came with a bigger price tag. There are simply more ways for him to fail and at a higher price.

Mel 1
You 0

It's not a fair fight.
You gotta love that Mel Kiper scoreboard

ultron

Reaction score
I'll never forget the D- grade they gave us for FredBeard. Oh and we also picked up Terrance Williams with the extra pick we got from the 9ers in that draft.

ultron

Reaction score
Sean Lee will take this kid under his wing and he'll end up being the best LB in this draft class. I'll take it!

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Winners
i

Baltimore Ravens

Ozzie Newsome's final draft in charge of the Ravens' front office went just how he likes it. He traded down twice (from No. 16 to No. 22 to No. 25) and ended up with a guy he likes. South Carolina tight end Hayden Hurst was neck and neck with South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert for the top tight end in this class. Hurst is a complete player who takes pride in his blocking. He really impressed me with his maturity when I talked to him. That's a good fit for the Ravens, who have tried to improve their weapons around Joe Flacco.

And speaking of Flacco, Newsome had one more trade in him that puts the veteran quarterback on notice. Newsome dealt picks 52 and 125 -- plus a second-round pick in 2019 -- to move up to No. 32 to take Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson, who now will have a fifth-year option, which is extremely important for quarterbacks. Flacco is 33 and is coming off a run of questionable seasons. He has one year left on his deal. Jackson isn't ready to push Flacco, but he gives them a tantalizing developmental option if Flacco has another clunker of a season.

i

Los Angeles Chargers
How did Florida State safety Derwin James make it to No. 17? With no top-tier nose tackles on the board there, general manager Tom Telesco didn't have to contemplate passing over the best player available for a need position. James is going to play immediately, and I think he'll be on my all-rookie team in 2018. I love this pick.

i

Arizona Cardinals
I know UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen has durability concerns, and he has battled some injuries. There also are questions -- fair or not -- about his leadership skills. Does he have that extra intangible to be the great quarterback he is capable of being? On the field, he's NFL-ready. He makes throws few quarterbacks can. And people forget that Rosen outplayed Sam Darnold when USC and UCLA met late last season. Rosen is a good player, and he's going to be motivated. I wouldn't be shocked if he played early for Arizona, which has Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon signed to short-term deals.

Plus, the Cardinals jumped two spots to get in front of the Dolphins to take Rosen and only gave up extra third- and fifth-round picks.

i

Atlanta Falcons
Calvin Ridley at No. 26 is going to be a steal, and the Falcons are going to be a prolific offense -- again -- in 2018. The Alabama wide receiver dropped a little bit after the combine, but he's the best wideout in this class, and he already is a great route runner. Trust the tape on Ridley. And watch him and Julio Jones light up defenses.

i

Chicago Bears
I didn't think Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith would make it to No. 8; he had been trending up over the past few weeks, and I thought the Colts might take him at pick 6. He's going to be the leader of the Bears' defense, and he can be a great inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He's going to run sideline to sideline, and he's one of the best tacklers to come out of college in the past decade. I like that Chicago didn't overthink this one.

i

Denver Broncos
I never thought NC State pass-rusher Bradley Chubb was going to make it to the Broncos at No. 5. He's not a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense, but he's versatile. And now he gets to learn from Von Miller, one of the league's best edge defenders. Chubb is relentless, and he already has advanced pass-rushing moves. My best comp for Chubb throughout the process has been longtime Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake.

i

Washington Commanders
Washington gets a bump here for filling its biggest need with Alabama nose tackle Da'Ron Payne, who fell in the Commanders' lap at No. 13. I had given them Payne in a few mock drafts, and this pick just makes sense.

Question marks

i

Cleveland Browns
New Browns general manager John Dorsey is rolling the dice by taking Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield with the No. 1 pick. Yes, we heard the buzz over the past few days; I even changed my final mock draft on Thursday morning. And we know Browns consultant Scot McCloughan, the former Commanders GM, thought Mayfield was the best QB in this draft. But I still thought Dorsey might take Darnold or Wyoming's Josh Allen, who were both higher on my board.

I know Dorsey saw Mayfield play in person in 2017, and I know Dorsey liked him after meeting with him. And listen, I like Mayfield as a player. But he's the No. 12 prospect on my board, and I don't like him as the first overall pick. He's not very big (6 feet, 215 pounds), and he played in a creative offense at Oklahoma in which pass-catchers were running open on every play. Now, Mayfield has an underrated arm, and he's the ultimate leader and competitor. But slow down on the Russell Wilson comps. Wilson has the athleticism of an NFL running back and a huge arm. These are distinct players.

As for the Browns' other choice -- they got the No. 4 overall pick from the Texans in the Deshaun Watson deal last year -- I would have gone with Bradley Chubb over Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward. You put Chubb with Myles Garrett and Emmanuel Ogbah, and that's an elite edge-rushing trio. And pass-rushers help the secondary too. Ultimately, though, I don't blame Dorsey & Co. for filling a need, and Ward is the best true corner in this class.

i

New Orleans Saints
Maybe I didn't learn my lesson after I hated the Saints giving up a 2018 second-round pick to move up to take Alvin Kamara last year. (Hey, I did adjust my re-grades.) But giving up next year's first-round pick (plus the No. 27 pick and a fifth-rounder this year) to take a raw pass-rusher at pick 14 is too much. Texas-San Antonio's Marcus Davenport is a 6-foot-6, 264-pound athletic specimen, but he's going to need time to adjust to the NFL. New Orleans is clearly going for it in 2018, but Davenport can't be counted on to be an impact player as a rookie.

On the other side of this, new Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst's first draft move was to add a 2019 first-round pick. Not bad.

i

Seattle Seahawks
This is a head-scratching pick. Rashaad Penny in Round 1? The San Diego State running back is the No. 57 player on my Big Board. And look at the backs still on the board -- Derrius Guice (LSU), Sony Michel and Nick Chubb(Georgia). Even Ronald Jones III (USC) had a higher grade than Penny. If Seattle wanted a bell cow back, it could have done better. And what about defensive back or offensive line or edge rusher? I can't wrap my head around this one.

i

Pittsburgh Steelers
Virginia Tech's Terrell Edmunds was my eighth-ranked safety. Eighth. And the Steelers took him at No. 28 overall. There's no doubt that he's physically gifted like his brother, Tremaine, who went 12 spots ahead of him, but the tape doesn't show a first-round player. In fact, I thought he might be underrated as a versatile safety who could play in the slot. But that's when I thought he was more likely to go at the end of Day 2. This is another head-scratcher.

i

New York Giants
You should know my defining strategy if I were an NFL general manager: I'd NEVER take a running back in Round 1. Seriously. There's value on Day 2. So, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley is a great player -- he's my No. 1 prospect in this class -- but I wouldn't have picked him at No. 2. Especially when Eli Manning is 37 years old and there's no real answer behind him. Sam Darnold was on the board, and that's who I would have picked. Now, watch Barkley win offensive rookie of the year. ...

i

Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys reached at No. 19. They could have had Calvin Ridley, the top wide receiver in this draft. They could have had Alabama inside linebacker Rashaan Evans, the No. 23 player on my Big Board. Instead, they went with Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, who had one great season and a great combine. Is he a one-year wonder? I ranked him No. 37 overall in this class. Sure, linebacker was one of the Cowboys' top needs, but this is a reach.

i

Buffalo Bills
The Bills moved up from No. 12 to No. 7 and gave up two second-round picks to get their quarterback of the future in Wyoming's Josh Allen. I like Allen -- he's a rare talent -- but Buffalo has too many holes to give up premium picks to move up five spots. This could turn out well if Allen isn't rushed into playing; Buffalo does have AJ McCarron as starter for 2018. Buffalo also moved up to take Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, giving up an extra third-round pick while swapping No. 22 for No. 16. Those are picks the Bills really needed.

i

Cincinnati Bengals
I had a late second-round grade on Ohio State center/guard Billy Price, whom the Bengals took at No. 21, but part of that is because Price got injured at the combine (torn pectoral). I just think Iowa's James Daniels is a better player, and he was still on the board.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/i...losers-mel-kiper-picks-question-marks-round-1
So who you trusting, Wil McClay or Mel Kiper? Just asking everybody on the forum who is freaking out.......

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Two things.

1) If what you said was true teams wouldn't have bad draft classes.

2) The same people who WORKED HIM OUT also have overseen 20 plus years of failure including many very bad draft decisions.

You'll never understand. I don't let the team think for me.
You let Mel Kiper think for you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayock’s last Top 100 List published April 24:

# 20) Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State

Brugler had LVE at #26 (Evans at #25, but with poor cover skills)

#19 is not a reach

Lol.

But really, these media 'boards' make the draft a lot of fun, but that's all they ever all. Team resources outstrip Mel Kiper's resources by an order of magnitude, and it shows up each draft when players inexplicably rise and drop in each round.

For my taste, Kiper's more tone deaf than Mayock and he's definitely not as good as Brugler. Plus, he's annoying. Plus, he's on ESPN. Not worth the price of admission in my book, and I certainly don't care how our picks ranked relative to his 'big board.'

gmoney112

Reaction score
Lol.

But really, these media 'boards' make the draft a lot of fun, but that's all they ever all. Team resources outstrip Mel Kiper's resources by an order of magnitude, and it shows up each draft when players inexplicably rise and drop in each round.

For my taste, Kiper's more tone deaf than Mayock and he's definitely not as good as Brugler. Plus, he's annoying. Plus, he's on ESPN. Not worth the price of admission in my book, and I certainly don't care how our picks ranked relative to his 'big board.'

I'm also pretty sure Risen wouldnt have even made this post if he'd kept his word about not ever posting again if Hitchens ended up being anything.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm also pretty sure Risen wouldnt have even made this post if he'd kept his word about not ever posting again if Hitchens ended up being anything.

In fairness to Risen, if you know enough about the draft, it's possible to be certain about low probability players without even seeing them play a single down. Most of us just don't have the chops to pull it off.

It doesn't work all the time, though. In fact, it only works about as often as a 4th round pick flunks out of the league, anyway. But if you say it with authority and deny reality when you're wrong and the team hits on a Dak Prescott or an Anthony Hitchens goes off and makes $45MM even though he's apparently a scrub, people eventually forget because of all the conviction. Mel Kiper made a career out of being wrong about stuff he was earnestly certain of. More power to him, because he's got an awesome gig, but it doesn't make him any less annoying.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I liked the pick.
I think he's a solid player.
I thought if Ridley was there,he'd be the pick.....I was wrong...Ridley was there and they passed.
I thought they had a solid draft.
I really like the 1st 3 picks,I think they're day1 starters...we'll see.
Solid draft.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
The fact he doesn’t have the Raiders moving out of there ten spot for a three and five, than passing on Derwin James for Kolton Miller tells me all I need to know about his disappointing list.