Melvin Gordon tell Chargers he's not showing up without a new deal

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

8,213 Messages
    9,296 Likes Received
    Good for him. Get your money while you can in a very shortened profession. Owners make money hand over fist and no one has any issue. Fans applaud owners for wanting to try and get a player to take a paycut. Yet fans berate and trash players for trying to hold out for more money. No one actually cares about the players being human and having their own lives. They just want to see their team win and want everyone to play at the cheapest salary possible.

I am not going to pretend I care about their lives but I also would never berate a player for holding out. Especially in the NFL. I really hope the NFLPA can outlast the owners the next time the CBA expires. These owners and how the league is set up for the players is terrible. But the NFLPA has to be one of the weakest unions I have ever seen. They caved in 2011 to the owners and the only thing they got was less practice team. And they hired back the same people who got them in this situation.

2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

47,809 Messages
    14,811 Likes Received
    Stay your Butt home then. Beans and Weenies aint so bad, once you figure out you aint got nothing else in the cupboard.

3. Qcard

Qcard Well-Known Member

362 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Well Zeke can still sit out and have all the leverage because the NFL front office absolved him of the lasted incident.
    Either way Cowboys will pay...if Zeke sits and we suck...Cowboys lose
    If Zeke sits out and Cowboys are still successful Dak's QB1 demands improve significantly...
    Either way Cowboys pay a price

4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

40,985 Messages
    38,495 Likes Received
    DLaw's agent said the Le'Veon Bell holdout was stupid. Bell forfeited the entire 14.5M Franchise Tag amount and still just got a contract that averages about 1 million less than Gurley's.

Bell was on the 2nd Franchise Tag. Gordon is just on the 5th year option.

Gordon only played 12 games in 2018.

In 2017 when he played 16 games, his rankings were:
    Rush Yds 7th
    Rec 8th
    Rec Yds 7th

Career Rushing Average:
    Gordon 4.0
    Zeke 4.7
    Gurley 4.4
    Bell 4.3

Hawkeye0202 likes this.
  5. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

2,022 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    the NBA has not been like this forever. Durant, Leonard, Butler..... they basicaly sat down and told teams what to do, and teams did exacty as they were told. The nba has never been this player friendly, EVER. It started a few years back, but it is in full blow players in control now.

6. Reid1boys

2,022 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    NOBODY cares about them getting paid or since the owners make money the players should..... this is only about the salary cap for us fans. The CBA had divied up the pieces of the pie for players and owners. Currently, it is what it is. So if players want more, they better be prepared to sit out...... and they are not. Dont forget that if every player in teh nfl was kidnapped by aliens and taken away forvere tomorrow... the NFL season would still happen this year, and fans would still flock to games, and wed still be here debating on if our qb sucks or not.

kskboys and xwalker like this.
  7. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

14,817 Messages
    24,552 Likes Received
    Me neither but the Bell situation was earned by the team. Did they really think making Brown the highest paid WR with the QB already in the top 5 wouldn't have have a fallout effect?

This very same thing is going to happen to the Cowboys because of making too many players in the top 5 of their position. When the money starts flowing, everyone wants a taste. Guys like Martin, who is in the top 5 at this position start thinking they're not getting enough. Next up, Lord Byron and then Jaylon Smith, think he's not looking for top 5 money. If he takes another step, he'll want top 3 money.

And I never underestimate the effect of the hidden influence behind this, those agents. Most of these players are not savvy enough to go up against these owners and their squads of lawyers and every agent is looking for some light to shine on him showing what he did for his guy.

And of all the owners in the NFL, no other comes close to Booger in flaunting his riches and showing off.....the perfect target. I do not hold anything against any player for doing what he can to get more of the pot of gold. That's the real game.

8. xwalker

40,985 Messages
    38,495 Likes Received
    Back before this current CBA contracts were longer.

Eli Mannings rookie contract was for 6 years.

Veteran NFL players likely don't care that much about future draft picks getting the 5th year option.

The Franchise Tag on the other hand can affect all players; although, more than half likely know they'll never be a Franchise Tag type player.

Agents do hate the Tag but in the big picture the pool of money that goes to All players is the same regardless of how the Franchise Tag affects the distribution of that money.

If I were a rank and file type NFL player I would be much more concerned about the Personal Conduct Policy and how that and other issues are enforced.

Currently Goodell can screw over any player on not much more than a whim.

Many players are going to want Weed testing eliminated and want changes to the overall substance testing changed.

I think even players that don't care that much about Weed per se, don't like the testing.

The substance testing has to be a concern to all players because it's relatively easy to mistakenly take something that causes a player to fail.

The appeal process for players that failed a test is sketchy.

The appeal process for personal conduct violations is also sketchy.

I you were forced to choose, what would be your choice:
    • Be a low paid laborer in the USA back before the minimum wage and labor unions.
    • Be a well paid citizen in Nazi Germany where on a whim the authorities could put a bullet in your head.

Currently NFL players are more like well paid citizens living in a dictator controlled country.

Life is great as long as the dictator or his minions leave you alone but at any time they can take your job/business/life.

9. xwalker

40,985 Messages
    38,495 Likes Received
    The Pats have 13M of cap space tied up in the RB position.

10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

26,807 Messages
    36,660 Likes Received
    They can't absolve the video.

High as hell on molly or something and "directing" his girlfriend around, then bumping into a security guard.

Just a matter of time.

11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

52,639 Messages
    50,966 Likes Received
    Sure, because he's been the guy under contract. The fact remains that three different backs greatly succeeded here for multiple years.

12. Reid1boys

2,022 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    so how many years did Murray have that you consider to be above avg? Or McFadden for that matter>?

kskboys likes this.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

20,351 Messages
    5,804 Likes Received
    No he wasn't, and no they aren't.

Gordon and Zeke aren't even really comps in this regard, because Gordon was drafted a year earlier, makes less, and isn't in the same conversation as a top player at his position.

Zeke still has another year on his deal (they'll pick up the team option), and Gordon doesn't (on the team option). Next year Zeke might threaten to hold out, but, really, he has no leverage. The Cowboys have him at least 3 more years, including this year, because they have the option and the tag. If Zeke wants to forfeit $9m next year, and then $10 the year after that, he can go right ahead. It would just be colossally stupid.

14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

52,639 Messages
    50,966 Likes Received
    All of the years they were able to play with this offensive line, consisting of Smith, Frederick, and Martin.

15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

28,934 Messages
    22,377 Likes Received
    I would.

16. Qcard

Qcard Well-Known Member

362 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I don't know what he was high but I agree with the spirit of your post.....it's just a matter of time.

I seriously trade with Chargers for Melvin Gordon...take Gordon and 2nd for Zeke.

I feel more comfortable giving Gordon a long-term contract. IMHO Zeke's contract has to be team friendly... But he won't agree

17. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

12,406 Messages
    14,304 Likes Received
    Seriously? Gordon? Ick.

Cover 2 likes this.
  18. kskboys

12,406 Messages
    14,304 Likes Received
    Mjurray: 2
    McFadden? 1, I guess

19. kskboys

12,406 Messages
    14,304 Likes Received
    Your first paragraph just isn't true. Fans only care about what players make in reference to the salary cap, as bloated salaries hold a team back. Offhand, I doubt if more than maybe 10% of fans care about salaries on a personal level.

NFL minimum is over half a mil. Most players make well over that. This league is set up very well for the players.

Qcard likes this.
  20. Qcard

Qcard Well-Known Member

362 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I know ick...but that's as good an alternative behind Cowboys Oline.

Do you trust rookies and returning Vets?

Either way I don't trust Zeke.