Melvin Gordon to Dallas

Hardline

Reaction score
You know the more I think about it the more I like drafting a stud RB early in the draft. It just makes sense with the OL we have now. And it's exciting to have a freak elite player on the team at RB when you can get one.

We need to improve on 1st round picks like Felix Jones and Julius Jones, though. The guy needs to have freak combine numbers and jump off the film. Like Gordon.

We already have a freak elite player at running back. #29

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know the more I think about it the more I like drafting a stud RB early in the draft. It just makes sense with the OL we have now. And it's exciting to have a freak elite player on the team at RB when you can get one.

We need to improve on 1st round picks like Felix Jones and Julius Jones, though. The guy needs to have freak combine numbers and jump off the film. Like Gordon.

I think the other way. If you have a great run blocking line, then a plethora of running backs should be able to produce playing behind it. So why would I invest top resources in a FA contract or a draft choice in a back? I'll find one in the mid rounds and use that 1st round pick elsewhere. A great RB should produce pretty much anywhere. It'd be like wasting the advantage you have with the OL in Dallas.

Nirvana

Reaction score
I think the other way. If you have a great run blocking line, then a plethora of running backs should be able to produce playing behind it. So why would I invest top resources in a FA contract or a draft choice in a back? I'll find one in the mid rounds and use that 1st round pick elsewhere. A great RB should produce pretty much anywhere. It'd be like wasting the advantage you have with the OL in Dallas.

I agree that a big contract or franchise tag should not be used on a RB. The friendly contract of a draft pick is more enticing, however. These guys are plug and play. If an elite player like Jamaal Charles or Adrian Peterson is there, and is the "Best Player Available" I pull the trigger. While it is true there are a lot of RBs who will succeed behind a good line like ours, the splash plays that an elite player provides can be the difference in some games. But again, it would be what the draft board said, and best player available philosophy.

Aside from that, as a fan I would love to see a special player like that on the team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We're probably getting our hopes up for nothing.

Gordon will probably crack the top 20.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I don't really get the folks who are against signing Murray but in favor of drafting a RB high.

What happens in four years when this rookie RB's contract expires? Do you now let him walk and draft another one high? Now we're burning a high pick on RB every 4-5 years when 1st and 2nd rounders should be a core part of the team for 8-12 years.

And hitting on the RB pick every time we draft one is pretty unlikely. More likely one of the drafted RBs turns out to be a Julius Jones or Felix Jones level player. Now we have to take another RB to make up for the bust.

If the contention is RB isn't worth the big money, then RB isn't worth the high draft pick either. Late day two at the earliest.

kazzd58

Reaction score
He's been spectacular all season. I love his running style. I think the Jamaal Charles comparisons are pretty accurate, although I think Goordon is better at hitting the hole and going than Charles ever was at Texas. He doesn't make it out of the 1st round imo, like between picks 25-32. This kid's a monster.

Thats exactly what i/ve been saying to my friends that he's a thicker built Jamaal Charles with a little better vision imo... I'd still rather have Gurley even after the injury

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's been spectacular all season. I love his running style. I think the Jamaal Charles comparisons are pretty accurate, although I think Goordon is better at hitting the hole and going than Charles ever was at Texas. He doesn't make it out of the 1st round imo, like between picks 25-32. This kid's a monster.

When I watch him play, I don't see Jamal Charles. Charles is, IMO, more fluid, better pass catcher and not as big. Doesn't run with the same power. When I see Gordon, I see more Larry Johnson then Charles.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Duke Johnson is my pick at RB, whether we resign Murray or not. Possibly in the third.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Give me Malcolm Brown in the 4th or 5th and use our first 3 picks on DL, DB, and OT

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
If we resign DeMarco we can probably hold off for 2 years to spend a high draft pick on a RB when the next Sooner big time back comes out..

Optimus Perine...

visionary

Reaction score
Let me try to break this to you guys as gently as I can

1. We will not sign Murray
2. We will sign AP
3. We will not draft a RB in rds 1-4

Any questions ?