Meril Hoge: Interesting formation observation

xpistofer

Reaction score
from Meril Hoge's Tape Room

"As I watched the Lions' offense attack the Cowboys, I noticed Detroit was running a lot of slot formations, putting two receivers on the same side. Why did the Lions do this? Because the Cowboys flip their cornerbacks to match up to the wide receivers so that they can keep Roy Williams out of matchup situations that could expose his lack of coverage skills. The reason I bring this up is because I think the Eagles might use this formation a lot, too. Because the Cowboys put their corners on the receivers, Williams is left to cover a tight end or running back. Well, in case you didn't realize it, the Eagles have a pretty good running back in Brian Westbrook, who catches the ball well out of the backfield. Mismatch!'

I noticed this against detroit and am a bit concerned...i think the coaching staff will really have to earn their money this week...

tnbk

Reaction score
Isn't it true Merril Hoge is not even legally able to drive anymore because of all the concussions he sustained?

tunahelper

Reaction score
But all the William apologists will say who else can do better at SS in NFC?

Just put Watkins in the game and Williams on the bench.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tunahelper;1833758 said:
But all the William apologists will say who else can do better at SS in NFC?

You want Watkins trying to tackle Westbrook coming out of the backfield instead of Williams?

Yikes.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the Cowboys flip their cornerbacks to match up to the wide receivers
Can someone explain what this mean, cuz I didn't see the game? I thought the 'boys cornerbacks played sides with Newman inside for the most part.

I don't know how that relates to Roy. I'm just wondering if/when the 'boys started flipping sides.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1833764 said:
Can someone explain what this mean, cuz I didn't see the game? I thought the 'boys cornerbacks played sides with Newman inside for the most part.

I don't know how that relates to Roy. I'm just wondering if/when the 'boys started flipping sides.

I assume he was talking the nickel corner but I am not sure with out looking at the tape and i do not have any on last week game

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1833764 said:

I don't think he means swapping sides with each other, but rather he means when they only have 2 WRs and both are lined up on the same side, both corners are lined up on that same side. But this wouldn't create any sort of mismatch that wouldn't already be there, regardless of whether they swapped or not. In fact, I'd rather see Williams on a TE, than a speedy WR.

Methinks he's reaching.

hairic

Reaction score
Dallas does the same pretty often as well.

For example: I've seen Dallas with two receivers to one side, two tight ends to the other, back in backfield. The QB can kind of make pre-snap reads depending on where the LBs shade to or if a safety moves down along with the use of motion.

It's a pretty common formation.

Besides, it's not like Dallas plays a load of man coverage, which is what would match Williams in coverage on a certain guy. He'd be in zone and would only have to worry about covering a spot, not trying to match Westbrook's routes cut for cut.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kangaroo;1833768 said:
I assume he was talking the nickel corner but I am not sure with out looking at the tape and i do not have any on last week game
Ok. I'd like to look at it, too. Wonder if they'll replay the segment.

theogt;1833770 said:
I don't think he means swapping sides with each other, but rather he means when they only have 2 WRs and both are lined up on the same side, both corners are lined up on that same side. But this wouldn't create any sort of mismatch that wouldn't already be there, regardless of whether they swapped or not. In fact, I'd rather see Williams on a TE, than a speedy WR.

Methinks he's reaching.
I guess that makes sense. Not sure how that observation is interesting. One thing about this coaching staff is they will make adjustments.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
tunahelper;1833758 said:
Watkins is still learning to be an NFL FS and he'll get killed as a SS. Did he ever play SS for you to assume that he'll excel as a SS?

If any FS on the roster who may do adequate job, it would be Hamlin, not Watkins.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1833774 said:
Ok. I'd like to look at it, too. Wonder if they'll replay the segment.

I guess that makes sense. Not sure how that observation is interesting. One thing about this coaching staff is they will make adjustments.
It's not. But it's a great opportunity for the know-nothings to seek validity.

Exhibit A:

Rampage;1833791 said:
hoge just has an agenda:rolleyes:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
theogt;1833762 said:
You want Watkins trying to tackle Westbrook coming out of the backfield instead of Williams?

Yikes.
I've seen Westbrook break a lot of tackles this season.. I've seen Roy put on a hit, not wrap up and watch a guy run down field...

I want the old Roy. The Roy that could put a hit on a guy and make him not only stop on the play, but regret he was born. You can have tons of tackles but if you still give up the big play, what's the point. Let's hope if this does happen that Roy proves me wrong...PLEASE prove me and others that want Roy on the bench wrong.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i'd take this matchup. roy doesn't get juked. he can handle westbrook.

i'm more worried about westbrook matching up on the ilbs or ellis.

or the TE/WRs matched up on roy.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure in the first Philly game we played a ton of nickel with Newman semi-spying (not really, but kind of the same idea) on Westbrook.

I mean, come on. This isn't the first time Roy's played against the Eagles or we've faced Westbrook. You really think Andy Reid would just now think of this after seeing the Lions play against us?

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1833800 said:
I'm pretty sure in the first Philly game we played a ton of nickel with Newman semi-spying (not really, but kind of the same idea) on Westbrook.

I mean, come on. This isn't the first time Roy's played against the Eagles or we've faced Westbrook. You really think Andy Reid would just now think of this after seeing the Lions play against us?

No I don't I'm sure Reid knows how to get whatever matchup he's looking for. Since we asking questions, does anyone think there is a coaching staff in the NFL which would seriously listen to Hoge for gameday stratergy?

Ken

Reaction score
theogt;1833762 said:

Yikes.

While at face value that statement is probably true for most players in the league, Watkin's tackling has improved immensely this year.

Parcells is somewhere beaming with pride...

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Personally, I have always been in favor of moving Roy to LB where he belongs.

I would like to see us put Roy at ILB in nickel or passing situations, taking Ayodele out, and using Watkins and/or Reeves as the extra DB. I think we could probably utilize this formation a lot against teams like Philly who throw to a high percentage of passes to their RBs.

It would allow Roy to play underneath coverage against the RBs/TEs/Slot WRs instead of Ayodele while not losing anything in deep coverage or in run support.

Williams is much better than Ayodele in coverage and is nearly as good against the run. With Newman likely out this week, Reeves will start in his place meaning Watkins will probably be the nickel-DB. We usually put Burnett in for passing downs in place of Ayodele or James depending on the number of DBs we use.

Just my opinion though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
THUMPER;1833812 said:

I would like to see us put Roy at ILB in nickel or passing situations, taking Ayodele out, and using Watkins and/or Reeves as the extra DB. I think we could probably utilize this formation a lot against teams like Philly who throw to a high percentage of passes to their RBs.

It would allow Roy to play underneath coverage against the RBs/TEs/Slot WRs instead of Ayodele while not losing anything in deep coverage or in run support.

Williams is much better than Ayodele in coverage and is nearly as good against the run. With Newman likely out this week, Reeves will start in his place meaning Watkins will probably be the nickel-DB. We usually put Burnett in for passing downs in place of Ayodele or James depending on the number of DBs we use.

Just my opinion though.
You know we do this in every game, right? Or are you saying you'd like to see it more often?

Woods

Reaction score
THUMPER;1833812 said:

Just my opinion though.

Newman is likely out for this game?

I thought he may even start.