Meril Hoge: Interesting formation observation

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;1834064 said:
people don't make hamlin out to be this "dominant run stopper" like they say about Roy. hamlin messed up too, but ^^^^^^^^. also if hamlin doesn't trip Roy grant runs by Roy anyways. roy took a bad angle.
Roy didn't take a bad angle. The play was to the defensive left and that was Roy's responsibility. He was in his position and couldn't get to Grant who had cut back to the defensive right. It was Hamlin's responsibility and he whiffed.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Rampage;1834064 said:
people don't make hamlin out to be this "dominant run stopper" like they say about Roy. hamlin messed up too, but ^^^^^^^^. also if hamlin doesn't trip Roy grant runs by Roy anyways. roy took a bad angle.
Soo dominant run stoppers never miss tackles? Deion was a dominant pass defender but last I checked he had some passes caught on him.

also if hamlin doesn't trip Roy grant runs by Roy anyways
So you admit that Hamlin trips Roy now. You failed to mention this in your previous post.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
theogt;1834074 said:
Roy didn't take a bad angle. The play was to the defensive left and that was Roy's responsibility. He was in his position and couldn't get to Grant who had cut back to the defensive right. It was Hamlin's responsibility and he whiffed.

A wise ole cowboy once explained the futility of arguing with morons.

They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. . .

You're arguing Xs and Os with people who wonder what those letters mean on the note their mommy leaves in their lunch. Seriously, what do you hope to gain? It's not like you can raise their IQ. They obviously don't understand that no one wants to read their constant spamming and replying only makes them believe that someone does.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rack;1833970 said:
This is freakin' stupid. Williams would be lining up on the TE's side regardless of where the WRs are.

It's completely stupid. Tell me what defense DOESN'T put both cornerbacks on the same side when both of the offense's wide receivers are on the same side. And if there's a defense that doesn't, why in the world would they put their strong safety against a wide receiver and leave the free safety on the side of the field with just a tight end?

Not to mention the fact that Hoge says they put both receivers on the same side to "force" Roy to cover a tight end or running back. Isn't that who the strong safety SHOULD be covering anyway?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
dbair1967;1833971 said:
I'll second this

the Roy sux crowd only watches him play, and relies on "big name-itis" to judge how others play

I agree that our problms vs max protect schemes are probably the most concerning right now...we're giving QB's way too much time to make throws, and our zone coverages are so soft its easy to find holes

David

The thing about max protect is that it makes it tougher for the offense to pass the ball and the defense can more easily change around and disguise coverages. In max protect, the QB *should* get time, but if the defense can drop more back in coverage they are more likely to cover those 2-3 receivers up.

I think the key in the Lions game was that the defense wasn't stopping the run and the down and distances were usually too favorable. And people can say what they want about the defense, but Wade has done a good job making adjustments all year long, so while I have a certain level of concern about max protect, I also have a certain level of confidence in him making the proper adjustment. I couldn't say that with Zimmer.

YAKUZA

odog422

Reaction score
xpistofer;1833748 said:
from Meril Hoge's Tape Room

"As I watched the Lions' offense attack the Cowboys, I noticed Detroit was running a lot of slot formations, putting two receivers on the same side. Why did the Lions do this? Because the Cowboys flip their cornerbacks to match up to the wide receivers so that they can keep Roy Williams out of matchup situations that could expose his lack of coverage skills. The reason I bring this up is because I think the Eagles might use this formation a lot, too. Because the Cowboys put their corners on the receivers, Williams is left to cover a tight end or running back. Well, in case you didn't realize it, the Eagles have a pretty good running back in Brian Westbrook, who catches the ball well out of the backfield. Mismatch!'

I noticed this against detroit and am a bit concerned...i think the coaching staff will really have to earn their money this week...

Just watched NFL matchup and in the first place, even though the poster used quotes, this is not what he said.

"so that they can keep Roy Williams out of matchup situations that could expose his lack of coverage skills."

He didn't say this.

He also said this formation forces Williams and Ellis into covering the back out of the backfield.

Guess it loses a little something by not mentioning that. Also, the poster's agenda is clearly on display with his original interpretation of Hoge's commentary, rather than what he actually said.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
odog422;1834754 said:
Just watched NFL matchup and in the first place, even though the poster used quotes, this is not what he said.

"so that they can keep Roy Williams out of matchup situations that could expose his lack of coverage skills."

He didn't say this.

He also said this formation forces Williams and Ellis into covering the back out of the backfield.

Guess it loses a little something by not mentioning that. Also, the poster's agenda is clearly on display with his original interpretation of Hoge's commentary, rather than what he actually said.

Hes talking about Tape Room not Matchups.

heres the link : http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=hogeweek15

xpistofer

Reaction score
odog422;1834754 said:

He didn't say this.

check the link for the exact quote on espn.com....rather than apologies, please send cash. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=hogeweek15

cowboyz

Reaction score
odog422;1834754 said:

He didn't say this.

yeah, to combat it all they have to do is put flipflop ware and ellis.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
cowboyz;1834794 said:
yeah, to combat it all they have to do is put flipflop ware and ellis.

Or do what they did in game one by using different defenders to be responsible for Westbrook out of the backfield, from Ratliff to Newman.

YAKUZA