Meril Hoge: Interesting formation observation

burmafrd

Reaction score
This is kind of out there but why not put henry on Westbrook?
Man on him the whole game. Where Westbrook goes Henry goes.
Everyone is saying that Westbrook is the key to the Birds O- then put a guy on him that can shut him down. Added bonus is that since McFlabb is always looking for westbrook, Henry would get multiple shots at picks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
THUMPER;1833821 said:
A lot more often.
We do it on most "passing downs" or when the offense goes to 3 WR sets. The only other packages we use in those situations is a nickel 3-3-5 package and a dime package that has 4 corners and 2 safeties, in which Roy is completely out of the picture. So I'm not sure it's possible to use it "more often" unless you want to use it on running downs against 2 WR sets.

We don't have a normal 4-2-5 nickel with two linebackers.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;1833770 said:
I don't think he means swapping sides with each other, but rather he means when they only have 2 WRs and both are lined up on the same side, both corners are lined up on that same side. But this wouldn't create any sort of mismatch that wouldn't already be there, regardless of whether they swapped or not. In fact, I'd rather see Williams on a TE, than a speedy WR.

Methinks he's reaching.

yeah they also had a fullback on the field though too. The safety becomes responsible I believe for the tight end or fullback depending on the situation.

I will ask doc32 he can say exactly where roy should be, but I think hodge is pretty much spot on.

Wade I think even mentioned they used the slot formation and put the fullback on the field creating a problem for us. I think he even said the fullback hadnt even been active in like 2 months!!

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
burmafrd;1833825 said:
This is kind of out there but why not put henry on Westbrook?
Man on him the whole game. Where Westbrook goes Henry goes.
Everyone is saying that Westbrook is the key to the Birds O- then put a guy on him that can shut him down. Added bonus is that since McFlabb is always looking for westbrook, Henry would get multiple shots at picks.

Baiting the trap I presume.........

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
theogt;1833826 said:
We do it on most "passing downs" or when the offense goes to 3 WR sets. The only other packages we use in those situations is a nickel 3-3-5 package and a dime package that has 4 corners and 2 safeties, in which Roy is completely out of the picture. So I'm not sure it's possible to use it "more often" unless you want to use it on running downs against 2 WR sets.

We don't have a normal 4-2-5 nickel with two linebackers.

I'm saying I'd like to see it as a base defense against teams like Philly who throw to their RBs a LOT. We get killed most of the time by the underneath stuff to the RBs and TEs or on slants and crossing patterns by the WRs. Having that extra guy in coverage in the short-middle of the field who can also play the run would resolve a lot of that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The birds WRs are not that big of a threat. neither is their TE.
To me you look at a team - evaluate their main threats- then figure out the best way to neutralize them.
We pressure McFlabb and shut down Westbrook and we shut down the birds O.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
tunahelper;1833758 said:
But all the William apologists will say who else can do better at SS in NFC?

Just put Watkins in the game and Williams on the bench.

The same Watkins who missed 2 big tackles vs Green Bay? One was a TD right before the half and the other ended up a 40 yard gain.

JPM

Reaction score
Doomsday;1833921 said:
The same Watkins who missed 2 big tackles vs Green Bay? One was a TD right before the half and the other ended up a 40 yard gain.
Yes, that one ;)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
tunahelper;1833758 said:

I'm still trying to figure out who all of these safeties are, in particular strong safeties, that teams feel perfectly comfortable covering WR's all of the time.

The real key to the Lions game was they utilized max protect. Dallas couldn't get any pressure on Kitna and he took advantage. The big problem was that Dallas wasn't stopping the run, so Kitna was left with favorable down situations. So I'm far more worried about how the defense handles max protect over a team trying to get a WR one-on-one on Roy.

YAKUZA

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
xpistofer;1833748 said:
from Meril Hoge's Tape Room

"As I watched the Lions' offense attack the Cowboys, I noticed Detroit was running a lot of slot formations, putting two receivers on the same side. Why did the Lions do this? Because the Cowboys flip their cornerbacks to match up to the wide receivers so that they can keep Roy Williams out of matchup situations that could expose his lack of coverage skills. The reason I bring this up is because I think the Eagles might use this formation a lot, too. Because the Cowboys put their corners on the receivers, Williams is left to cover a tight end or running back. Well, in case you didn't realize it, the Eagles have a pretty good running back in Brian Westbrook, who catches the ball well out of the backfield. Mismatch!'

I noticed this against detroit and am a bit concerned...i think the coaching staff will really have to earn their money this week...

This is freakin' stupid. Williams would be lining up on the TE's side regardless of where the WRs are.

Hoge... is a moron.

And we RARELY flip flop our CBs. Newman plays one side and stays there unless we're in the nickel and he's covering the slot.

Again, Hoge... is a moron.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1833968 said:
I'm still trying to figure out who all of these safeties are, in particular strong safeties, that teams feel perfectly comfortable covering WR's all of the time.

The real key to the Lions game was they utilized max protect. Dallas couldn't get any pressure on Kitna and he took advantage. The big problem was that Dallas wasn't stopping the run, so Kitna was left with favorable down situations. So I'm far more worried about how the defense handles max protect over a team trying to get a WR one-on-one on Roy.

YAKUZA

I'll second this

the Roy sux crowd only watches him play, and relies on "big name-itis" to judge how others play

I agree that our problms vs max protect schemes are probably the most concerning right now...we're giving QB's way too much time to make throws, and our zone coverages are so soft its easy to find holes

David

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
THUMPER;1833844 said:
I'm saying I'd like to see it as a base defense against teams like Philly who throw to their RBs a LOT. We get killed most of the time by the underneath stuff to the RBs and TEs or on slants and crossing patterns by the WRs. Having that extra guy in coverage in the short-middle of the field who can also play the run would resolve a lot of that.

Playing that D as our base defense would be completely dumb. We'd get ran over every game.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
tunahelper;1833758 said:

That worked really well against Green Bay when Jennings broke a 40 yd gain on a 5 yd catch, then later caught a pass right in front of Watkins and ran rings around him into the endzone.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1833976 said:
That worked really well against Green Bay when Jennings broke a 40 yd gain on a 5 yd catch, then later caught a pass right in front of Watkins and ran rings around him into the endzone.
and williams did a great job of stopping grant score on a 60 yard run..... oh wait

tunahelper

Reaction score
theogt;1833762 said:
You want Watkins trying to tackle Westbrook coming out of the backfield instead of Williams?

Yikes.

You see all the missed tackles last game and this year?

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Rampage;1833980 said:
and williams did a great job of stopping grant score on a 60 yard run..... oh wait
You mean the same play Hamlin wiffed and knocked Roy out of the play....oh wait that would mean someone else Fup that play and we all wouldn't be able to blame Roy for everything that happens in the world. A buddy of mine told me yesterday they were looking into Roys role in the shooting of JFK.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1834051 said:
You mean the same play Hamlin wiffed and knocked Roy out of the play....oh wait that would mean someone else Fup that play and we all wouldn't be able to blame Roy for everything that happens in the world. A buddy of mine told me yesterday they were looking into Roys role in the shooting of JFK.
people don't make hamlin out to be this "dominant run stopper" like they say about Roy. hamlin messed up too, but ^^^^^^^^. also if hamlin doesn't trip Roy grant runs by Roy anyways. roy took a bad angle.