Merriman and SD can't reach a compromise

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
Maybe I'm wearing rose-colored glasses on this since I'm a Terps and Merriman fan (I am NOT really keen on him dropping his first agent and signing with these 2 jackasses), but there are several articles on SignOnSanDiego.com that deal with the Merriman-Chargers debate. I read most of them, and found some interesting quotes in there from others. Check out the full articles, since it sheds a little more light on the situation. I just pulled out a couple of the more relevant statements.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/index.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20050519-9999-1s19chargers.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20050511-9999-1s11postons.html

Well, this makes me want to read the language even more. I have no problem with making sure the player is protected. I do not like the Postons but perhaps there is something to this. These two statements clearly indicate that at least the players union and another agent believe, in part at least, that there might be issue.

I would be interested to see what the League's stance on this might be.

playit12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Well, this makes me want to read the language even more. I have no problem with making sure the player is protected. I do not like the Postons but perhaps there is something to this. These two statements clearly indicate that at least the players union and another agent believe, in part at least, that there might be issue.

I would be interested to see what the League's stance on this might be.

It wouldn't surprise me that there is an issue in the language... and as much as I hate the Postons, they have certainly shown a willingness to protect a player's finacial interest at the expense of the public opinion or the team's wishes.

One more point that certainly doesn't make me pitty the chargers... Another poster asked why they just don't have them sign their regular contract before asking them to do mini-camps. Then you would never have this problem or unwritten rules. I have to agree. I can't imagine my last employer asking me to come work for 2 months before they ever give me a contract to sign. That's really taking advantage of the rookies desire to make a good first impression. They are certainly able to sign contracts now... The first draft pick to sign was not long after the draft... I believe it was a Ram's player. If these teams really want these guys in the minicamps then either give a better injury contract, or sign them to their regular contracts earlier. Otherwise don't whine because they aren't there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
playit12 said:
It wouldn't surprise me that there is an issue in the language... and as much as I hate the Postons, they have certainly shown a willingness to protect a player's finacial interest at the expense of the public opinion or the team's wishes.

One more point that certainly doesn't make me pitty the chargers... Another poster asked why they just don't have them sign their regular contract before asking them to do mini-camps. Then you would never have this problem or unwritten rules. I have to agree. I can't imagine my last employer asking me to come work for 2 months before they ever give me a contract to sign. That's really taking advantage of the rookies desire to make a good first impression. They are certainly able to sign contracts now... The first draft pick to sign was not long after the draft... I believe it was a Ram's player. If these teams really want these guys in the minicamps then either give a better injury contract, or sign them to their regular contracts earlier. Otherwise don't whine because they aren't there.

Part of the reason this doesn't happen is because each players salary is based on the player before him. It is not exactly like the previous year. The fact of the matter is that Players don't normally want to sign contracts early because they want to get and idea of what the guy ahead of them signed for.

Also, there is some bennafit to teams holding off as well. Can't say exactly because I don't remember all the details.

playit12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Part of the reason this doesn't happen is because each players salary is based on the player before him. It is not exactly like the previous year. The fact of the matter is that Players don't normally want to sign contracts early because they want to get and idea of what the guy ahead of them signed for.

Also, there is some bennafit to teams holding off as well. Can't say exactly because I don't remember all the details.

The benifit for the teams is that they don't have to sign a player until they try him out... and if he gets seriously hurt... well that is good to know too.

Either way a team could sign a player earlier if they had more incentive to do so. I'd like to see the league step up and mandate a signing period like 8 weeks after the draft. Any player not signed in that period is not elligible for TC or any team activity until the next signing period some 2 months later. Teams will treat the first signing period as the deadline and most players will have it all settled long before the Off Season workouts.

maloy

Drama King
Reaction score
Merriman will be a good player I think. I don't blame him for holding out of minicamp. You have to make sure your money is right.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
maloy said:
Merriman will be a good player I think. I don't blame him for holding out of minicamp. You have to make sure your money is right.

I don't blame him, I don't blame the Postons, I blame greed.

playit12

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:

It's what has made America Great. "Insert Ubiquitous Aynn Rand Quote Here"

Hoov

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:

does that work ? can i go knock off the local bank with a gun and just explain to cops, its not my fault, dont blame me, blame greed. :D

every one has potential for greed. some of us allow it to manifest and some dont.

also for fun here's a great quote....

person A - says "define greed"

person B - "the greedy man is the one who wants more than i do"