Merriman debut lackluster.

Duane

Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
ware - did ok at troy state, didn't put up terrel suggs #'s. went from a 2nd round pick somehow to #11 overall in a matter of a couple weeks, thats scary to me. what has the guy really proven? he played scrubs schools and barely dominated and was shut out against good schools.

merriman - did ok at maryland, not a real tough school. workout warrior whose stock rose almost as much as wares the last few weeks before the draft.

derrick johnson - broke records at texas, a top football program. was dominating against good schools for years and was pretty much guaranteed a 1st round pick all along. combine numbers weren't going to drop him like the others would have if their numbers sucked.

yea i'll take dj any day of the week over the other two.
He played a really good game against LSU.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
yea he done plenty last night they must not of updated the stats, he ran right over arrington and almost sacked the qb and had a few tackles in just the few minutes i watched.

Oh boy! The Sky Is Falling.... The Sky Is Falling! What are we to do? :rolleyes:

Bizwah

Reaction score
Duane said:
He played a really good game against LSU.

He was big against Mizzou too......Of course, it's a matter of debate about Mizzou being a "big time" school.

Duane

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
He was big against Mizzou too......Of course, it's a matter of debate about Mizzou being a "big time" school.
He also had a huge game against Marshal who I think's a good school.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
i must of blinked cause he was looking pretty invisible on the field to me but our first team d made the cardinals offense look like they were the colts.

if the Colts would only score 13 points, and rush for 14 yards on 5 carries.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Trag3344 said:
ware - did ok at troy state, didn't put up terrel suggs #'s. went from a 2nd round pick somehow to #11 overall in a matter of a couple weeks, thats scary to me. what has the guy really proven? he played scrubs schools and barely dominated and was shut out against good schools.

merriman - did ok at maryland, not a real tough school. workout warrior whose stock rose almost as much as wares the last few weeks before the draft.

derrick johnson - broke records at texas, a top football program. was dominating against good schools for years and was pretty much guaranteed a 1st round pick all along. combine numbers weren't going to drop him like the others would have if their numbers sucked.

I know we have to be civil and stuff, but you don't strike me as someone who has done extensive scouting yourself. now, I haven't either, but weather or not Ware was playing scrubs, from all reports, and the little I have seen of him, he was very fast around the edge. It doesn't matter who you play against, thy dont change how fast you are.. Ware looks real good.

Curtis Enis also broke records at a big time school while Terrell Davis struggled to get on the field at Georgia. Ryan Leaf, big time college QB. Daunte Culpepper not a big time program. What's your point buddy?

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Merriman, DJ and Ware will all be top notch players in the NFL is my opinion.
The expectations of each will be different. They will play in different systems, under different coaches and surrounded by different people with different strengths. I am glad we have Ware. I would have been very happy with DJ. At the time I would have been happy with Merriman but now, not quite as much.

All three of them will be differance makers in time. Why the comparisons? etc.?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some people need to remember this is still preseason. Declaring any player to be player of the year of best this or that out of the draft is really reaching.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Don't try and reason with Traq- he will never change his mind. DJ always struck me as more flash then substance; he played soft. Merriman- maybe- but the charactor things makes me wonder. Ware- we shall see; he is learning a new position.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Trag3344 said:

Yet the Cowboys didn't.
The question is does anyone care what you would have done? I liked Burnett better and would have done what Dallas did, but again who cares, beyond the fact that is what Dallas did.

We all have home team biases and player preferences but the draft is over, the players are signed to their teams and I'd rather see a kid from timbuktu succeed than a kid from Texas if the kid from TBT happens to play for the Cowboys.

DJ was an extremely good college player but that doesn't mean he will be a great pro at all. He clearly had weaknesses in his game that could hurt him on the pro level including an indictment of his technique and physicality both huge issues that steered the Dallas Cowboys in another direction. The best comparison I can think of is Boss Bailey who isn't exactly Ray Lewis.

In the end some will be wrong and some will be right about this kid but regardless of all that what really matters is that the Cowboys succeed with the kid they chose a round later.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
Yet the Cowboys didn't.
The question is does anyone care what you would have done? I liked Burnett better and would have done what Dallas did, but again who cares, beyond the fact that is what Dallas did.

We all have home team biases and player preferences but the draft is over, the players are signed to their teams and I'd rather see a kid from timbuktu succeed than a kid from Texas if the kid from TBT happens to play for the Cowboys.

DJ was an extremely good college player but that doesn't mean he will be a great pro at all. He clearly had weaknesses in his game that could hurt him on the pro level including an indictment of his technique and physicality both huge issues that steered the Dallas Cowboys in another direction. The best comparison I can think of is Boss Bailey who isn't exactly Ray Lewis.

In the end some will be wrong and some will be right about this kid but regardless of all that what really matters is that the Cowboys succeed with the kid they chose a round later.
agreed...

And just to add my 3 nickels (cuz their worth about that much), I'm not sure why folks are debating which rookie played worse. Sounds to me neither of them are lighting it up out there. They may all become all-world eventually, but it sure isn't not gonna happen in their first NFL game, preseason or not.