Merriman Talkin **** about Da Boys

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Coach Marty Schottenheimer said yesterday that LB Shawne Merriman (knee) would miss ''a minimum of two weeks.''
On the other hand, Merriman said he will be ready to play Week 1 against the Cowboys. ''It would take two armies and two naval bases to keep me from playing Dallas,'' Merriman said. Aug. 29 - 11:22 am et
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

What football players and football coaches say about an injury is often at odds.

Shawne Merriman
For a player, it seems, acknowledging the extent of an injury can sometimes be as painful as the injury itself. Coaches take a more pragmatic approach, moving on and concerning themselves with who is available to play.

Consider yesterday's scene at Chargers headquarters:

Coach Marty Schottenheimer said Shawne Merriman, the club's first pick in this year's draft, will miss "a minimum of two weeks" with a sprain of the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Merriman scoffed at the suggestion.

The important thing is that on the fringe of that two-week window is the Sept. 11 season opener against Dallas.

"It would take two armies and two naval bases to keep me from playing Dallas," said Merriman, eager to show what he can do for the Chargers and against the team that passed on him in April's draft.

Merriman injured the knee covering the opening kickoff in Friday's exhibition game at Minnesota. He never got to play linebacker against the Vikings and his experience at that position is limited to 19 plays against St. Louis eight days ago.

Merriman was walking yesterday without any difficulty or significant discomfort. After participating in a walk-through practice in the afternoon, he did not run with his teammates and instead worked in the training room. He said he is running fine.

Merriman said he could probably play in Thursday's final exhibition game against San Francisco but that he knew that was not going to happen.

"I'll be back for Dallas," he said. "I know my body. I'm going to get out there. I feel the only thing that can hold me back from the field is myself."

This can be said for Merriman: He wants to play. It should be noted when considering his diagnostic abilities, that Merriman asked to go back into Friday's game.

"I'm not a doctor, but he's not a doctor either," Schottenheimer said. "My expectation – what I've been told by the medical people – is that we're looking at a couple of weeks. Before he goes out and plays we're going to make sure he can't reinjure himself."

Merriman was not going to start anyway, and there are 15 games after Dallas in his first NFL season.

Advertisement

The 12th pick overall, he has been sidelined more than he has practiced with the Chargers.

Again yesterday, the subject of Merriman's conditioning came up. Merriman has acknowledged that missing the team's offseason workouts contributed to his pulling a hamstring muscle shortly after signing a week into training camp.

Yesterday, he blamed the hamstring mostly on the fact that he dropped 9 pounds in two weeks before arriving at camp.

"He needs to make sure he stays positive and has a work ethic," veteran linebacker Steve Foley said. " . . . He's going to have to work to be the guy he wants to be. He wants to be that star. He's going to have to realize that's something he's going to have to work for."

Merriman is trying to stay positive. But this is not the start he or the Chargers envisioned.

"It's frustrating, because I can't get out there and do what I want," he said. "I know what I can do when I'm out there. The point is staying out there."

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Okay, two armies... that's Flozell and LA.

and two naval bases... Rivera and Tucker.

done.

Mayne next year Shawn "The Pawn".

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
*sigh* another disgruntled passed over player wanting to show us what we missed out on, ala Randy Moss..... lets hope Merriman doesnt have the same type of success against us that Moss has had.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
On the other hand, Merriman said he will be ready to play Week 1 against the Cowboys. ''It would take two armies and two naval bases to keep me from playing Dallas,'' Merriman said. Aug. 29 - 11:22
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Note the multiple comments by Foley about the importance of hard work... That's telling.

DBoys

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

done.

:lmao2:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
What a drama queen! I hope he gets embarrassed on national TV. Someone point Larry Allen in his direction.

joseephuss

Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
*sigh* another disgruntled passed over player wanting to show us what we missed out on, ala Randy Moss..... lets hope Merriman doesnt have the same type of success against us that Moss has had.

I doubt it. Merriman is good, but he is not of the same caliber of a Randy Moss.

And to the Cowboys defense, since Moss has been in the league, Dallas has not really faced him with great defensive backs.

Kevin Smith faced him after several injuries slowed him down his career. That Thanksgiving game in 1998 had Smith returning from an injury and he didn't even make it the whole game.

Dallas never used Deion to cover him rather letting him blanket Chris Carter. That was when Deion was healthy. He missed a game or two against the Vikings.

And now Newman has only faced him in 1 game and the two TDs he gave up were both from 1 yard out. I think any CB would have trouble covering Randy from that distance.

The rest of the time, Dallas has used scrubs out at corner back to cover Moss. I think Kevin Mathis is the only guy still in the league and he is a back up.

Don't get me wrong. I think Moss is probably the #1 or #2 receiving threat in the league and difficult to stop. I would just rather face him with a quality player than a scrub.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Maybe the kid will be able to play against us and maybe not. Merriman just hasnt played a lot the preseason and when he has he hasnt been stellar, he's been learning. The guy just doesnt have enough learning under his belt to be a big factor yet.
I know that I'm partial but Ware seems to have a much better knack for the big plays then Merriman does at this time in their 1st camp. Even so I'm sure Ware will be taken advantage of by some teams in certain situations as Ware learns all the tricks of the trade. On that point, let Merriman play, and when the guy gets schooled out their that just makes winning the game much more likely.
I don't have nothing against the guy, just hope our pick does better.
The crap-talking is a bit tedious though.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Hey I give him credit after injuring his knee he according to the article wanted to go back into the game. That shows some heart and desire to play.

And if I remember correctly about 80% of the regular posters here wanted us to draft Merriman.

Me one of my first posts here was about Ware and drafting him.....but I would have been happy with either of them.... Now I love what who we got....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Hey I give him credit after injuring his knee he according to the article wanted to go back into the game. That shows some heart and desire to play.

And if I remember correctly about 80% of the regular posters here wanted us to draft Merriman.

Me one of my first posts here was about Ware and drafting him.....but I would have been happy with either of them.... Now I love what who we got....
Put me in that 20% then. I'm glad we passed on that headcase. BP, JJ, and the scouting department made the right choice.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I don't think he was talking ish, moreso saying he really wants to play Dallas. Talking crap would be if he was actually calling out the org or some of the players in it.

I didn't have a problem with the article, simply because the proof will come on Sept. 11 at Qualcomm Stadium or whatever it's called nowadays. He'll either be on the field or sitting on the sidelines in street clothes.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Rack said:
Put me in that 20% then. I'm glad we passed on that headcase. BP, JJ, and the scouting department made the right choice.

Ditto...

He needs to worry more about a long career and less about one team... :rolleyes:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
Personally, I don't think he was talking ish, moreso saying he really wants to play Dallas. Talking crap would be if he was actually calling out the org or some of the players in it.

I didn't have a problem with the article, simply because the proof will come on Sept. 11 at Qualcomm Stadium or whatever it's called nowadays. He'll either be on the field or sitting on the sidelines in street clothes.

^What she said.^ :freeze:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Can you imagine if we drafted Merriman -- how deep in Bill's doghouse would he be now? No minicamps, misses part of TC as a holdout.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
And out of curiousity we're supposed to take every player who pouts, just because? There was a reason for passing on Moss. There was a reason for passing on Merriman.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
And out of curiousity we're supposed to take every player who pouts, just because? There was a reason for passing on Moss. There was a reason for passing on Merriman.

hey Im glad we passed on him, not advocating that in any way. Im just hoping the Merriman / Moss parallels end at being disgruntled.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

WG, he wasn't necessarily talking trash. That would be foolish. But you can't tell me that everything he has said up to this point hasn't come across as wanting to get back at Dallas for passing him over and taking Ware instead. It's all in black and white.

These latest comments were fueled by his dislike for the Cowboys and for feeling like he was duped. :rolleyes: It's all there.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fletch said:
WG, he wasn't necessarily talking trash. That would be foolish. But you can't tell me that everything he has said up to this point hasn't come across as wanting to get back at Dallas for passing him over and taking Ware instead. It's all in black and white.

These latest comments were fueled by his dislike for the Cowboys and for feeling like he was duped. :rolleyes: It's all there.
The post was about what his LATEST comments are, not necessarily what he's said in the past. Some of what he's said in the past are most definitely shots at the org, but not this one. And so my comments are simply referring to the current posted article.

However, I still stand by my other statement. Proof will be on 9/11 3:15pm at Qualcomm Stadium.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

done.

That Tucker Navel base is where I would attack first! :lmao2: