Merriman Vows to play this sunday... Practices Wed

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I'll give him credit he is driven to play against us, and I think he'll play; which I'm all for. He's weeks behind their other LB's and his anger may leed him to make mistakes.

Chargers | Merriman Promises to Play
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 05:32:49 -0700

Jay Posner, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers rookie LB Shawne Merriman (knee) has promised to play Sunday, Sept. 11, despite a knee injury. Merriman participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 7, with a brace on his left knee, and head coach Marty Schottenheimer said the rookie appears to be "all right physically." Schottenheimer declined to say for sure whether Merriman would play.

D-BOI99

Reaction score
I'm rooting for him to play so he can see why we picked ware over him!!!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Ugh. We choose Ware over Spears too, but we lucked out and got him as well. Get over it Merriman. SD is a beautiful city. Be glad you have a job making millions a year. You don't represent my alma mater very well.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Interesting thing is he is the 3rd string guy at LOLB.. Makes you wonder if Schott doesn't think he can be the pass rusher that the Bolts had first envisioned?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Merriman enough talking, put on the padds and lets play or shut the hell up.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
19 plays in the preseason and he hasnt even practiced in the last week? Oh yeah, PLEASE let him play. Heck, let him START!
After a preseason in which Ware showed exactly why he was picked and Merriman showed nothing, you'd figure the guy would shut up until he made a tackle or two.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
He is indeed a fool and a big one so what if the cowboys did not choose him? would I be mad at all the girls rejected me for a date ( lots of them) no way i move on.... u know I hope he plays and hurt himself again and end his season becouse this jerk still unmature he needs some hard lessons in life

jsj6791

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are really stretching this whole "Merriman = passed over by dallas" issue. Other than saying that he wants to play this week, I don't see anywhere in that quote he said any trash about your team, do you? He said the same thing against the Packers and Vikings, and it was during the preseason!!!

And please don't give me that comment that he made about being sour over being passed, it was right after the draft and any player would've said the same thing if they were passed over when told otherwise. Sure he might still be bitter, but I don't recall him making those statement ever since.

So what's my point? You all are the one who need to GET OVER IT. Accept the fact that both teams drafted the player they wanted and move on. There's no need to label him as a clown, idiot, no class, and mouthing off, because it make you look like you are the one.

As far as I am concerned, Ware looks very promising and everything that Parcell said about him. And the Chargers fans are very pleased with Merriman for what he showed in TC and during limited game time. I really think they both have bright future ahead of them.

And about Merriman playing this Sunday, I don't think it even depends on his health. He just hasn't played much in actual game so it all depends on Marty being comfortable of putting a rookie into the lineup.

RedLine

Reaction score
I am so glad we did not take Merriman. I was with a guy from San Diego during the draft and he was upset when Dallas took Ware. He knew the Chargers would then take Merriman. At that time I was not happy we passed on Merriman, but I got over it when we took Spears.

Congrats to Bill, Steven, Jerry, and the scouts, this draft is looking better every day!

RedLine

Reaction score
And the Chargers fans are very pleased with Merriman for what he showed in TC and during limited game time.

Are you guys "pleased" with the Postons, and his hold out as well? I am sure that Shawn will be a good player, perhaps even a great one. I would just be concerned with all the other non-sense he will bring with him and the disruptions.

DBoys

Reaction score
jsj6791 said:
Wow, you guys are really stretching this whole "Merriman = passed over by dallas" issue. Other than saying that he wants to play this week, I don't see anywhere in that quote he said any trash about your team, do you? He said the same thing against the Packers and Vikings, and it was during the preseason!!!

He started it these guys are only defending their team because of comments he made!

jsj6791 said:
And please don't give me that comment that he made about being sour over being passed, it was right after the draft and any player would've said the same thing if they were passed over when told otherwise. Sure he might still be bitter, but I don't recall him making those statement ever since.

So what's my point? You all are the one who need to GET OVER IT. Accept the fact that both teams drafted the player they wanted and move on. There's no need to label him as a clown, idiot, no class, and mouthing off, because it make you look like you are the one.

You must be a fan of his because the decisions he has made since the draft have been bone headed.

jsj6791 said:
As far as I am concerned, Ware looks very promising and everything that Parcell said about him. And the Chargers fans are very pleased with Merriman for what he showed in TC and during limited game time. I really think they both have bright future ahead of them.

And about Merriman playing this Sunday, I don't think it even depends on his health. He just hasn't played much in actual game so it all depends on Marty being comfortable of putting a rookie into the lineup.

If he plays it is a stupid decision and he will probably get hurt. I can tell you already Merriman doesn't have the head on his shoulders to be successful. He is not a doer but a crybaby. Parcells is good judge of talent and character and he passed on him for a reason.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
jsj6791....

Maybe you just haven't been paying attention this offseason. Your excuse making for Merriman is pretty amazing. He held out and ranted like a spoiled child about being "promised" that he'd be drafted by the Cowboys. Now he's tantrumming about how he's going to get the Cowboys back. I'm not sure what you've seen in his 19 plays this preseason that leads you to believe that he's ready for the NFL game at a new position LB.

But I can assure you Merriman's style is so typical of the spoiled athlete, from the big program that thinks the world owes him a living, that I am very relieved we didn't draft him.
Adversity comes to everyones life unexpectedly, and most drastically to an NFL rookie, so far Merriman is in a tight race with Cedric Benson, Maurice Clarett and Pacman Jones for the Antonio Bryant memorial "I'm the former big man on campus and the NFL owes me" award.

jsj6791

Reaction score
RedLine said:
Are you guys "pleased" with the Postons, and his hold out as well? I am sure that Shawn will be a good player, perhaps even a great one. I would just be concerned with all the other non-sense he will bring with him and the disruptions.

You know, I'll be lying if I tell you I wasn't concerned when he immediately swtiched his agent right after he was picked and missed the minicamp.

On both issues, the concern was that it was a prelude to a long holdout. But when he signed his contract and reported to camp shortly after Ware signed his, none of those issues really became issues.

I can't tell you about his future nonsense and disruptions, just like I can't with any other rookies. I have no idea how they'll be off the field, unlike some of you who think you do. But so far what we've been seen out of him, he's been saying and behaving as any other "normal" rookies would, so I guess that's a good thing, right?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Funny how the Chargers are pleased with him. He is third string and has not been able to practice. He has never played in a 3-4 if I remember right. Merriman will be a non factor.

Nothing like possibly reinjuring yourself for the rest of the season just to play in a grudge game you aren't ready for.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I'll give him credit he is driven to play against us, and I think he'll play; which I'm all for. He's weeks behind their other LB's and his anger may leed him to make mistakes.

Chargers | Merriman Promises to Play
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 05:32:49 -0700

Jay Posner, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers rookie LB Shawne Merriman (knee) has promised to play Sunday, Sept. 11, despite a knee injury. Merriman participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 7, with a brace on his left knee, and head coach Marty Schottenheimer said the rookie appears to be "all right physically." Schottenheimer declined to say for sure whether Merriman would play.
Don't sing it Rook, bring it.

I give him credit for stones. He's going out of his way to make this personal. Can he back up the tough talk?