Merriman vs Ware, the debate continues after ONE season

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
THIS IS A THREAD FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT AND COMMENT

This is a debate being argued on another forum:

Comparing them after this last season is really tough. If I could just watch tapes of both players, and decide which one to take, it would be Merriman, easily. But you have to look at how both players were used on both defenses. San Diego used Merriman perfectly, blitzing him from the left, right, middle, and still used him in coverage. Even in games when his stats weren't that great, you felt his presence. Ware, on the other hand, comparatively speaking, was quite one dimensional. It was either Ware blitzing from his left side, or Ware dropping back into coverage. At times, he shined, but a lot of games his name wasn't mentioned.

But who's to say that if we drafted Merriman that he wouldn't be used the exact same way we used Ware? More than likely that would have been the case. The same thing goes with San Diego and Ware. I think San Diego used Merriman better than Dallas used Ware.
------------------------
I saw all 16 Cowboys games, and I think I saw around 10-12 Chargers games (not exactly sure why, but somehow I ended up watching them almost every week). I think I got a pretty good read on both players.

By mid-season, Shawne Merriman was clearly the better player. I did not like him pre-draft, but man, did he prove me wrong quickly. He was such a refined pass rusher at such an early point, he really looked like a seasoned veteren. He used his hands great. He bull rushed awesome. He was just amazing. Really, absolutely, playing like an all pro. In the numerous threads we had on them, I was constantly talking about how amazing he was and how we made a mistake drafting Ware over him (even though I liked the Ware pick at the time it was made). Merriman was also awesome against the run, very instinctual, and very smart. His game (except for coverage) really lacks holes, and that was obvious early on.

By mid-season, it was clear Ware was not nearly as refined a pass-rusher. He has probably the quickest first step of any OLB in the league, but when he didn't mix up his pass rush moves, OTs easily washed down Ware past the quarterback. Even though it was obviously magnified due to the lack of a dominant NT like Jamal Williams (Who Merriman had in San Diego), He was clearly becoming far too predictable for opposing offensive linemen.

Oh, right, I forgot, he'd mix it up and throw in that horribly innefective spin move. Not only did that spin move not work, it affected his ability to stop the run (which he was pretty even in terms of ability with Merriman).

We were told by Jerry and Bill in press conferences following the draft that Ware was simply the more refined pass rusher. This was not the truth whatsoever.

It was obvioius Ware had immense potential (his explosive first step is out of this world), but even more obvious he needed some serioius coaching.

But then his Carolina and St. Louis games were better than any game I saw Merriman have. He began to look like the future All-Pro, Lawrence Taylor-type player we were hoping for. He was really dominant. He hit people in the mouth. He mixed up his pass rush moves, so when he would speed rush and turn the corner, the OT wouldn't be ready for it.

So I don't know who's better. Both are awesome. 90% of the year, I would have taken Merriman, but there was no one better than Ware in those two games. I think I need another year to decide. I have a feeling, after that year though, that I would be satisfied with either one.
----------------------
They're both amazing talents, but I'd have to go with Shawne Merriman. He has that killer instinct that you just can't teach. When you're watching him, you can see that this man doesn't just get to the quarterback, he wills himself to the quarterback.
----------------------
Well lets see:

Merriman:
Pros: Execptional pass rusher. Unbeleivably talented. A superior athlete.
Cons: A Jerk/Crybaby. Held out for a larger contract. Liable in coverage (even as an LB)

Ware:
Pros: Quickest first step in the nfl (@Lb), Very gifted athlete. Great attitude. Does what ever it takes to win. Leader. Willing to change and learn.
Cons: Not as athletic, does not have the expereince, and not as proven as merriman.

The first 2-3 years of there career i would say Merriman. For the next 3-7 years i would say Ware.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon said:
Merriman vs Ware, the debate continues after ONE season
Take out "one season" and insert "for the rest of their career" or possibly longer.

DBoys

Reaction score
Ware because he has a good head on his shoulders. Merriman seems like a punk to me. Ware has so much potential and he could be one of the greats.

The Realist

Reaction score
I'm not sure how Merriman is the superior athlete if Ware is quicker, faster and more explosive.

Reaction score
The main point here is POTENTIAL. Merriman was clearly the more complete player last year. True, there were many times I wished Dallas would have given him more lattitude, & just rushed him from any and all directions. However, I don't believe he would have learned nearly as much as he did by keeping him put, & making him learn the complete nuance of the position.

Merriman is not going to grow much more. What we saw last year is pretty much what we're going to get the next ten. Ware, however, is from a small school, and is still a work in progress. I don't believe we have even touched the surface with Ware, which is so exciting. 8 sacks in his first season when he basically didn't know what the **** he was doing?!! Just wait until he can just turn it loose without thinking. Just wait until he learns another move this year, then another in 2007.

In the short run, San Diego got the better player. In the long run, DeMarcus has noWARE to go but up, and that's scary--for the NFC East!

50cent

Reaction score
I agree with most except for the athletic part. Ware is just as athletic as Merriman. Merriamn had more experience at playing the position because he did it in college. Ware was a hands down end in college and had to learn playing upright. They were both good for their team and will be throughout their careers barring injury. San Diego caould afford to do more with Merriman because of his experience in the defense and the other components on their defense. Youth really affected how much Ware could do. That is no longer an excuse and Roy mentioned more defensive plays being installed to use their talents. This year will be a telling season to just see how much Ware can do in the 3-4. I expect both to improve this year and terrorize offenses especially once Carp is up to speed with his role.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I don't think Ware is faster, or more explosive. But I would take him in a heartbeat.

50cent

Reaction score
Dawgs0916 said:
I don't think Ware is faster, or more explosive. But I would take him in a heartbeat.
I think Ware did run faster at the combine, but merriman played faster because he was familiar with the 3-4 already.

The Realist

Reaction score
Dawgs0916 said:

4.56 vs 4.68

The first step comparison is obvious.

Merriman's one advantage is strength.

Oopps, no it's not.

27 vs 25 reps and 430 bench press vs 385.

I stand corrected.....

Faster, more explosive, quicker and stronger.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
50cent said:
I think Ware did run faster at the combine, but merriman played faster because he was familiar with the 3-4 already.

Merriman already had experience as a LB in college while Ware didn't.

50cent

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Merriman already had experience as a LB in college while Ware didn't.
Your probably right, but I thought Maryland did run a version of 3-4.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Ware because he has a good head on his shoulders. Merriman seems like a punk to me. Ware has so much potential and he could be one of the greats.
I had that perception of Merriman too but after seeing hime on Total Access and a few other programs, he seems like a good guy.

DBoys

Reaction score
The Realist said:
4.56 vs 4.68

The first step comparison is obvious.

Merriman's one advantage is strength.

Oopps, no it's not.

27 vs 25 reps and 430 bench press vs 385.

I stand corrected.....

Faster, more explosive, quicker and stronger.

Nuff said!

Hiero

Reaction score
if merriman didn't sign with the Postons, showing incredible character defects, we would have taken him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Realist said:
He fired his agent the day after the draft and hired the Postons.
I seem to recall all the predraft talk around here centered on the fact Merriman was represented by the Posoins and that is why a lot of posters knew we would pass on him.

daniukid

Reaction score
Great analysis. I hope that Ware really pours it on after one season of conditioning and playing at a higher speed.

ghst187

Reaction score
I was pretty concerned about Merriman because he looked very bloated in pre-draft interviews and gained 30 pounds after his last game. His attitude seemed to be a potential issue too. Dude turned out to be a beast though. Seemed like a missile launched at the QB and really brings the pain whenever he hits someone. He's flat out mean. A very good quality in a LB.
Of course, Ware wasn't exactly a slouch either. I think his potential is a little greater and should turn out to be a more complete player and better on the corner as a passrusher. But at this point, its really splitting hairs. Based on only year one...you would have to have selected merriman but I think Ware is going to really be a beast this year.
I think Carpenter's game is going to be more similar to Merriman's game than Ware's. Carpenter won't be as explosive but I think his 10 yard speed is similar, his nose for the ball and the QB.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Based on only year one...you would have to have selected merriman

I think people are putting far too much stock in the fact that Merriman had 10 sacks to Ware's eight. (If Ware had 10 and Merriman eight, would people still think Merriman had a better season?) If you go back and look at each sack for Ware and Merriman, Ware had far more sacks of his own doing, while Merriman had far more coverage/cleanup sacks.

I went back and looked at some video of both players, and Merriman seemed to benefit from his teammates' pass rush on quite a few of his sacks. The quarterback would feel pressure in the pocket and try to scramble out. And Merriman, who was unable to get around his blocker but got fairly close to the quarterback, would grab him or run him down for a sack. In Ware's case, I saw a number of plays when he also pushed his blocker close to the quarterback, just as Merriman did, but nobody else was even close. So the quarterback could just slide in the pocket and throw the ball.

From what I saw on video, and from the stats each player put up against the run (Ware had twice as many tackles for loss and more tackles for no gain), I'm convinced that Ware actually created more big plays and had a better season. But because Merriman had two more sacks, the perception remains that he had the better season.