Miami was not offsides on onside kick

blueblood70

Reaction score
I guess in the grand scheme of things when you lose by that much the onside kick wouldn't have mattered either way..

wake up call Refs have been awful across the league in all phases so we can lean on the old adage it all evens out in the end.. some questionable holding calls on us etc as well

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Then you don’t know the rule that pertains to offsides on a kickoff. It’s listed a few posts above.
Then they could've called a penalty on every one of them, IMO. They all moved in unison.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ok they said in the game the players had to have 1 foot on the 34 yd line as ball is kicked.
so here is a pic
miami-off-side-kick-02.jpg

I don't see anything wrong here, and even the announcers said it was close, so too me this was
either another bad call, or just being way too picky.
The guy at very top is #31 who they called for offsides, and he is also the one who got the ball.
The ref is right there, so either the ref is daydreaming about cheerleaders, or the player is really stupid
to be offsides when the ref is right by him.
But I just dont see it, I watched several times, and no way this should have been called.

I also think changing the rules on the onside kick was a bad move, and they killed something which used
to be exciting at times.

This still doesn't show it, but he had stepped across the 34 as the kicker was making contact with the ball. That is technically offsides, although it was a very close call. The players on a kickoff cannot move across the 34 at all until the ball is kicked.

I agree that I don't like the rule change. Onside kicks are now really only effective in situations like this where you catch the other team completely off-guard.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok they said in the game the players had to have 1 foot on the 34 yd line as ball is kicked.
so here is a pic

I don't see anything wrong here, and even the announcers said it was close, so too me this was
The guy at very top is #31 who they called for offsides, and he is also the one who got the ball.
The ref is right there, so either the ref is daydreaming about cheerleaders, or the player is really stupid
But I just dont see it, I watched several times, and no way this should have been called.

I also think changing the rules on the onside kick was a bad move, and they killed something which used
to be exciting at times.
Who cares?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Then they could've called a penalty on every one of them, IMO. They all moved in unison.

I think the replay clearly showed that he moved across the 34 earlier than the other players did. The only thing I'm not absolute about is if he moved before the kicker kicked the ball. It was very close. If the ball had left the tee, then he wasn't offsides. However, I would like to point out that the official making that call is looking straight across the field at the ball, so it is easy for him to be able to see if someone crosses the 34 before the kicker makes impact with the ball.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
so here is a pic

to be exciting at times.

It was for a running start. You can't move before the ball.is kicked

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was for a running start. You can't move before the ball.is kicked

I think the confusion is in calling it off sides. When a player fails to get set on offense they don't call him for being offside, they call illegal motion or illegal shift. They probably need to figure out something along those lines for the kickoff.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I don't get the rationale, by not letting players get a head start running, They cover less distance and are further from the returner when He receives the ball, which encourages them to give it a go when they catch it a yard or 2 into the end zone, but the coverage team isn't moving any slower (unless they can't reach top speed after 50 odd yards running), so the rule has no effect on the subsequent collision, but means there are more of them.
Very true. The players are getting to top speed in 10 - 15 yards. By the time they reach the ball carrier, or the immediate wave of blockers, they will be at the same velocity. The only impact this rule change would have is for onside kicks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so here is a pic

to be exciting at times.

Look at the player at the top of the screen, he clearly looks past the 1 yard limit.
also the ball was not quite kicked in this photo. Those plays are moving, and could have went beyond that 1 yard point.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Very true. The players are getting to top speed in 10 - 15 yards. By the time they reach the ball carrier, or the immediate wave of blockers, they will be at the same velocity. The only impact this rule change would have is for onside kicks.
Which is the point I'm making, the only effect is making onside kicks slightly safer (never knew it was a problem) at the expense of killing excitement and drama when teams try them and it actually makes kick returns more frequent (the opposite of what they're supposedly trying to achieve).

Flamma

Reaction score
Well if that is true, then yes he was moving.
I have to wonder why the players would not be coached to watch the ball, when it is kicked you go.

That's what it was because he was not off sides.

to be exciting at times.

They should have just left the kickoff alone. I'm surprised more teams don't kick it higher and try to drop it inside the 5. I know the Patriots do that on occasion.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
As it was posted before, the guy was moving before the kicker got his foot on the ball, that's considered off sides by rule. It was close but by rule it was a penalty. They really should change the name of it from off sides to false start.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
so here is a pic

to be exciting at times.
Learn the rules first