Miami was not offsides on onside kick

Londonboy

Reaction score
It definitely has effect on kick returns running start. I'm there for seconds faster I think you actually got it backwards. It has no effect on onside kicks I agree with that makes them impossible. But that's what you need to win you shouldn't be in that situation anyways I think that's what the league thinks
It has an effect on kick returns because with no running start players are further away from the receiving player when He catches the ball and the receiving player may actually be encouraged to go for it, instead of accepting the touchback, but the covering players are still moving at the same speed that they would be with a running start and the energy they hit with is exactly the same whether they get a running start or not, so if the intention of the rule is to limit the number of kick returns it's not going to work.
I like onside kicks, it's that final moment of drama, that last slim hope/moment of nervous tension (depending if You have the lead or not), it's basically been killed off by this rule.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I thought they called it on the kicker because he stepped past the ball before he kicked.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It has an effect on kick returns because with no running start players are further away from the receiving player when He catches the ball and the receiving player may actually be encouraged to go for it, instead of accepting the touchback, but the covering players are still moving at the same speed that they would be with a running start and the energy they hit with is exactly the same whether they get a running start or not, so if the intention of the rule is to limit the number of kick returns it's not going to work.
I like onside kicks, it's that final moment of drama, that last slim hope/moment of nervous tension (depending if You have the lead or not), it's basically been killed off by this rule.
I totally disagree. That running start gets me 5 yards downfield quicker. Without a doubt. And with composure

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I love 4th quarter heart attack games. They let you know you're alive. For the running start to a standing start is a total different subject

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not at all. Just to be clear again for the millionth time, and you should know this, I only out those that are constantly almost always crapping on either a player, a coach or the organization. It’s like Whack a Troll. Once the usuals pop up with a negative take again, I whack em down. The OP doesn’t fit in this mode and I wasn’t being negative with him. Just wanted to know who cares about an offside penalty when the game is over. Although he could’ve made a post on something positive for the Cowboys. Regardless, and again because you seem to be told multiple times, I only Whack a Troll on the consistently negative posters.

Just call me “Whack a Troll Rockport”.

I'm pretty sure that's not what you are being called.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I totally disagree. That running start gets me 5 yards downfield quicker. Without a doubt. And with composure
Players are up to full speed after 15 or 20 yards, I don't think they're any more or less composed. With a running start, they are obviously 5 or so yards closer to the returner, which actually discourages attempts to return the ball.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I love 4th quarter heart attack games. They let you know you're alive. For the running start to a standing start is a total different subject
The no running start rule has had the unfortunate (and probably unintended) effect of making expected onside kicks virtually impossible to recover for the kicking team, I find that a huge shame.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The ones like you who are calling me names make my day. Means I’m having an impact.

I don't call you names. Some of us don't resort to that. I mostly just ignore you because you add little to the conversation by just insulting those who are making comments. But I don't expect you to come to that realization. I thought I'd give it a try once, though, hoping maybe that you would see that what you do is uncalled for. I'm frankly surprised the moderators allow some of it.

Anyway, I'm stopping because we've gotten far away from what this thread is supposed to be about.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This thread................

iu
LMAO

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't call you names. Some of us don't resort to that. I mostly just ignore you because you add little to the conversation by just insulting those who are making comments. But I don't expect you to come to that realization. I thought I'd give it a try once, though, hoping maybe that you would see that what you do is uncalled for. I'm frankly surprised the moderators allow some of it.

Anyway, I'm stopping because we've gotten far away from what this thread is supposed to be about.
Yes and you started it don’t forget.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I made a video AND posted the rule that pertained to this play:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/onside-kick-play-miami-was-offside.441228/
ok thanks for the actual rule, they should make this more available to fans, because it seems your the only one who knew or looked up the actual rule.
I think he and others did lift one foot up, man that is a really bad rule.
I dont remember guys getting hurt, and they are just special teams players, so I wonder why the owners felt this was necessary.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just as Dez did not catch the ball because the refs said so, Miami was off-sides because the refs said so. It's in the record books. Protest as you may, doesn't matter.