Micah gives Mazi a pep talk

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Someone should tell Micah that we can't expect anything out of Mazi this year because DTs take a long time to develop :thumbup:
Either that or that he has been deemed a first round bust in his (rookie year) so don't even worry about getting better.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With all the times people here have been very wrong about our draft picks, it amazes me to read some of the negative posts about Mazi. Give the man a chance to grow.

visionary

Reaction score
No doubt. A leader looks to elevate those around him. This is what Mike did.
A leader elevates those around him but does not put it on social media

Thats not what leaders do

This is not leadership where i come from

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Some players need that extra advice to help mentally push them to get better. Nothing wrong with Mazi Smith reaching out to Micah. Great advice Micah gave Mazi.

Keeping fingers crossed Mazi pushes himself even more to get better, because like Micah Parsons said to Mazi, "You gotta come in here with intent every day to get better. You gotta have that unbelievable amount of faith in yourself that we have in you. Because we need you. If we want to win this thing, we need Mazi Smith to be his best."
Seen it at work.

Dudes either got it or they dont.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mazi is a bust.
He's actually not, not even close.... I mean we could talk about this in three years but I'm tired of hearing about it Jordan Davis last year was taken 13th overall by the Eagles and had a very similar rookie season as Smith..

seriously I mean y'all don't know what a real nose tackle is a pure nose tackle not a three tech who plays some nose tackle this is a pure nose tackle that really gets no accolades there's no stat lines to really follow the measure what they do or don't do and the coaches say he's coming along as expected especially as a backup to Hankins.

so go show me Jordan Davis 13th overall pick versus Smith 27th overall pick and show me the differences in their rookie years that you think one's not a bust and one is the problem with this fan base is they expect everything right out of college rookie year expectations is they should just blow up on the scene there's all no middle ground there's no Gray area you're either a superstar or you're a bust

sorry but that's a sad way to look at things and that says a lot about your football IQ apparently you just go by what you think you see and hear versus what real expectations are for certain positions... Developing players and having even slow progress is a real thing you literally have to wait on some players at certain positions to come around but in three years if he still hasn't done enough and he's cut off this team we could talk about him being a bust but really that's just a really bad word people use when they have no idea what they're talking about....

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Real construction criticism not tolerated here. ........everything must be syrupy sweet. ;)
Seriously, he’s a beast but he’s not gonna win when I guy gets a second head start. It’s not that hard see ball fire.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Should there be a concern that Mazi is not coming to practice to get better. I’m hoping this is Micah being an alpha leader and not an indicator of Mazi’s work ethic. Either way good for Micah to step up.
It said Mazi went to Parsons and asked him how to be great. I don't think it has something to do with work ethic. That sounds like somebody trying to improve

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I think everyone generalizes him as A pass rusher, but he is a runstuffing 1T DT. So he would have to recognise blocking and occupy double teams and hold his ground, probably this was what he was taught in college. So until the light goes off or he develops some pass rush potential he will be slow react type DT.

But what I kind of don’t understand is why he is getting washed out in run plays , again I have to say I didnt do film study , going by what many posts here. He is supposed to be atheltic ,very strong guy but it may not show like that on field. Lets give him couple of games in the absence of Hankins and see how he performs.
:muttley::muttley::muttley:No one who had a total of .5 sacks during a three year college career was generlaized as A pass rusher.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Buffalo coaches probably had a field day with film session. It was evident unreal time with Hanson release off the line. With the conditions I expect a bad day against the run to

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think everyone generalizes him as A pass rusher, but he is a runstuffing 1T DT. So he would have to recognise blocking and occupy double teams and hold his ground, probably this was what he was taught in college. So until the light goes off or he develops some pass rush potential he will be slow react type DT.

But what I kind of don’t understand is why he is getting washed out in run plays , again I have to say I didnt do film study , going by what many posts here. He is supposed to be atheltic ,very strong guy but it may not show like that on field. Lets give him couple of games in the absence of Hankins and see how he performs.
I gotta

I gotta do a full stop here.

I truly don’t believe anyone thought Mazi was brought it in here to get sacks. We all knew exactly who and what he was when he was drafted. We knew he was the long term solution to the short term solution that Hankins is/was; and brought here for the same reasons. We struggled against the run with Bo and Gallimore ending up not being the guys we hoped for.

We all remember watching Parsons dance around a podcast after Mazis name was called; and his explanation why.

To be honest, if anyone thought Mazi was here to generate sacks, you have to be brain dead. The guy had zero sacks in college and he’s 350lbs.

The same problem is true, Mazi can’t stuff a run if he’s not getting out his stance slower than everyone else on the line.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He doesn't need a pep talk, he needs to get his *** off the line faster.
Was listening to Jerry's interview yesterday and he brought up how the bulk, freaky strength, everything he needs to be a true nose is there. Just too damn slow off the line.

There are things you can coach, and things you can't coach. Jerry seems to think the twitch can be coached, but I'm not so sure. Do we have good examples in the past of defensive linemen who were incredibly slow off the line but turned it around?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Because he's too slow to the attack. He needs to be quick to get leverage and not let linemen get their hands all over him. That's half the battle on the line and just as vital for run stoppers as pass rushers. He's so slow that offensive linemen have already won. But as I put above, he has the strength to take them down pretty fast if he were to get there quickly and improve his technique.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's actually not, not even close.... I mean we could talk about this in three years but I'm tired of hearing about it Jordan Davis last year was taken 13th overall by the Eagles and had a very similar rookie season as Smith..

seriously I mean y'all don't know what a real nose tackle is a pure nose tackle not a three tech who plays some nose tackle this is a pure nose tackle that really gets no accolades there's no stat lines to really follow the measure what they do or don't do and the coaches say he's coming along as expected especially as a backup to Hankins.

so go show me Jordan Davis 13th overall pick versus Smith 27th overall pick and show me the differences in their rookie years that you think one's not a bust and one is the problem with this fan base is they expect everything right out of college rookie year expectations is they should just blow up on the scene there's all no middle ground there's no Gray area you're either a superstar or you're a bust

sorry but that's a sad way to look at things and that says a lot about your football IQ apparently you just go by what you think you see and hear versus what real expectations are for certain positions... Developing players and having even slow progress is a real thing you literally have to wait on some players at certain positions to come around but in three years if he still hasn't done enough and he's cut off this team we could talk about him being a bust but really that's just a really bad word people use when they have no idea what they're talking about....

The problem is if he doesn’t impact the pass game he’s not worth the pick at all.

It was a awful draft pick.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
That's very sweet....

But I wish Micah would have given JERRUH a pep talk in April...and told him not to draft that slow butterball in the 3rd round where he belonged and not the 1st round.