Micah gives Mazi a pep talk

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Someone should tell Micah that we can't expect anything out of Mazi this year because DTs take a long time to develop :thumbup:
Please hush up NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol, you're so spot on with this, apparently to some on here who know growth and whatever science anatomy of football players think they know everything. It doesn't take that long for a player to show some promise, it's not asking much. Has he done better recently yes, but it doesn't take him 3 years to be great. Hell in 3 years why wouldn't he be great, it's almost time for a new contract!!!!! lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problem is if he doesn’t impact the pass game he’s not worth the pick at all.

It was a awful draft pick.
I don't think that was one of the things they especially expected him to be good at, it was a knock on him coming out, how slow he comes off the ball the QB would have all year to pass the ball!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think that was one of the things they especially expected him to be good at, it was a knock on him coming out, how slow he comes off the ball the QB would have all year to pass the ball!!
That’s why it was a bad pick before it was ever made.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Someone should tell Micah that we can't expect anything out of Mazi this year because DTs take a long time to develop :thumbup:
One of my favorite posts. A sweet jab at the CZ DT talent evaluators that have pin-pointed the exact moment, which at present ranges from one offseason up to three years, that we can expect peak results from our DT. As if it’s as easy as taking a height/weight to bench press & leaping ability ratio and plugging the variables into a proven algorithm to determine his linear trajectory. I like it.

Last summer I assisted in officiating a PA Senior games event. There was a lady in the 60-64 division of the 50-meter dash that I think of when I see Mazi come out of his stance. Hmm…can’t put my finger on why I see similarities between the two?

Fact is, none of us know if or when this playing DT at a high level in the NFL will take hold. I think we may have expected to see a bit more to this point but throwing in the towel and going the bust route is a bit overzealous this early in his career. We should be glad to hear that he’s engaging with people like Micah and encouraged that he wants to put himself in good company.

Praying for ya young man. Prove the idiots and skeptics like me (up to this point, anyway) wrong. Go be great!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of my favorite posts. A sweet jab at the CZ DT talent evaluators that have pin-pointed the exact moment, which at present ranges from one offseason up to three years, that we can expect peak results from our DT. As if it’s as easy as taking a height/weight to bench press & leaping ability ratio and plugging the variables into a proven algorithm to determine his linear trajectory. I like it.

Last summer I assisted in officiating a PA Senior games event. There was a lady in the 60-64 division of the 50-meter dash that I think of when I see Mazi come out of his stance. Hmm…can’t put my finger on why I see similarities between the two?

Fact is, none of us know if or when this playing DT at a high level in the NFL will take hold. I think we may have expected to see a bit more to this point but throwing in the towel and going the bust route is a bit overzealous this early in his career. We should be glad to hear that he’s engaging with people like Micah and encouraged that he wants to put himself in good company.

Praying for ya young man. Prove the idiots and skeptics like me (up to this point, anyway) wrong. Go be great!
I don't think anyone's claiming he's going to be great. Like you and me, I think most are just saying it's too soon to say he won't be at least adequate. I don't read every comment in CZ, so I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone post that he's going to take the league by storm. (Maybe back on draft day some did, but even that I don't recall.)

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mazi,like most rookie Dt's, they wanna make the splash play every time and they run themselves outta the play. He is learning gap integrity matters in this league. Once he learns to just do his job and no one else's, he will be fine. That comes with in game reps. This is Baptism by fire for him right now. We about to see a glimpse of what he can be starting this week.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mazi Smith played at Michigan. A cold weather style team. He might show out for us today and surprise.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good for Micah. But isn't Mazi already a hard worker? Isn't he already a work out warrior? I am not ready to give up on him because I think he needs time to develop. I think in his third year he will be a much better player and we will know this next year based on his improvement.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mazi will be fine. Just needs to tackle.
Jordan davis's pick 13th overall by the Eagles his rookie year he had 18 tackles and no sacks, nothing special, so how is this an issue with a guy taking 27th overall that some here call a project you know developmental player... I'm noticing now that one Jordan Davis is getting better this year matter of fact he has 2 1/2 sacks and 38 tackles so he's on his way to basically doubling his production from last year and apparently at least from what I heard last year the Eagles defense had the best front seven in football so he got to play inside all that..

Anyone calling mazi a bust at this point is ridiculous because he's a nose tackle that isn't going to get a lot of tackles unheralded position even Mike McCarthy addressed it we will see in the coming years if he doesn't at least improve then maybe he is a boss but this year labeling him that is insane...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jordan davis's pick 13th overall by the Eagles his rookie year he had 18 tackles and no sacks, nothing special, so how is this an issue with a guy taking 27th overall that some here call a project you know developmental player... I'm noticing now that one Jordan Davis is getting better this year matter of fact he has 2 1/2 sacks and 38 tackles so he's on his way to basically doubling his production from last year and apparently at least from what I heard last year the Eagles defense had the best front seven in football so he got to play inside all that..

Anyone calling mazi a bust at this point is ridiculous because he's a nose tackle that isn't going to get a lot of tackles unheralded position even Mike McCarthy addressed it we will see in the coming years if he doesn't at least improve then maybe he is a boss but this year labeling him that is insane...
well said. Agree. The 3rd year is where we really tend to see a jump. BTW, you mentioned Davis at DT. Even though he has improved, nobody wants to talk about the fact the eagles are getting hammered right up the gut lately. Its just Dallas they wanna talk about being weak inside, when its Philly having bigger issues. Thats why no one trusts the sports media. Too agenda driven. Facts are, DT at the NFL level is hard. Then they pretend like Philly is the best thing since sliced bread on the interior. lol. We have our interior issues, especially with Hankins out, but I think we will be ok. If we win today against the Bills, that means the dline played elite ball. Thats what it will take. Playoff ball.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Good for Micah. But isn't Mazi already a hard worker? Isn't he already a work out warrior? I am not ready to give up on him because I think he needs time to develop. I think in his third year he will be a much better player and we will know this next year based on his improvement.
sometimes I think Micah believes he's already arrived. If I could give the kid 1 bit of advice, just do your job son. Don't try to be everything to everyone. Its a tall task. Just do what u do. Mazi must figure things out by himself with game reps. It won't matter much what anyone says to him outside of the coaches.

blueblood70

Reaction score
well said. Agree. The 3rd year is where we really tend to see a jump. BTW, you mentioned Davis at DT. Even though he has improved, nobody wants to talk about the fact the eagles are getting hammered right up the gut lately. Its just Dallas they wanna talk about being weak inside, when its Philly having bigger issues. Thats why no one trusts the sports media. Too agenda driven. Facts are, DT at the NFL level is hard. Then they pretend like Philly is the best thing since sliced bread on the interior. lol. We have our interior issues, especially with Hankins out, but I think we will be ok. If we win today against the Bills, that means the dline played elite ball. Thats what it will take. Playoff ball.
Exactly I mean it's hard to judge the nose tackle position on a hole but if you look at games I remember couple years back when we had a rematch with the Rams I believe it was the 2019 regular season after they dismantled us in the playoffs with the run game we literally ran for like 250 yards had both Tony Pollard and Ezekiel Elliott over 100 yards each running right at the middle especially Aaron Donald we literally just ran at him all game and he didn't stop it he's one of the best tackles in the game I know he's not a nose tackle but that Rams team had a great front seven and we put it on him that game...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Seemed like a rushed pick. I don’t think they were crazy about the pick.

But they made it.

A lot of anointing oil was poured out on Mazi after the draft.

Then we got to see him in preseason.

YIKES

DuncanIso

Reaction score
sometimes I think Micah believes he's already arrived. If I could give the kid 1 bit of advice, just do your job son. Don't try to be everything to everyone. Its a tall task. Just do what u do. Mazi must figure things out by himself with game reps. It won't matter much what anyone says to him outside of the coaches.
Micah is a leader,

Sometimes dudes don’t like being pushed.

But he’s trying to help the kid.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Somebody needs to give Micah a pep talk...Glorified sometimes pass rusher...That's it. One trick pony!!