Micah in top pass rushers not getting calls

plasticman

Reaction score
Over the past three decades every new rule or change favors the offense and allows them to score more.

The "in the grasp", five yard, and "unprotected receiver" rules and all of these types of rules were heralded as safety precautions. I's true effect was the revolution of the prolific passing game and increase in scoring, I began wondering why anybody would want to play on defense. It just seems so unbalanced.

But that's no longer good enough? Now the NFL refs are ignoring certain rules in order to favor offensive success?

However, I'm sure O-linemen can tell stories about certain tactics used on them by defenders. They may have their own list of obvious infractions.

Ther's always more than one side to a story and the truth always lies somewhere in the middle.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes rip, my apology. Then get another official or perhaps watch the most explosive defensive player in the league, ESPECIALLY after he's told you about it time and again.

If there are other exceptions I'd love to be educated.
There are 11 players on defense. He can't be a special exception, even if he is a special player. You watch it like you normally watch it and if you see it, call it.

Below are the holding rules with all 11 exceptions:

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER

(c) Uses his hands or arms to materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit. It is a foul regardless of whether
the blocker’s hands are inside or outside the frame of the defender’s body. Material restrictions include but are not limited to:
(1) grabbing or tackling an opponent;
(2) hooking, jerking, twisting, or turning him; or
(3) pulling him to the ground.
Penalty: For holding by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.
Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive holding will not be called:
(a) if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
(b) if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
(c) if a fair catch is made simultaneously;
(d) if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;
(f) if a free kick results in a touchback;
(g) if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
(h) if the action is part of a double team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either
blocker, or is taken to the ground; or
(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position
that would normally be holding, unless and until the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.
(2) If a blocker falls on or pushes down a defender whose momentum is carrying him to the ground, Offensive holding will
not be called unless the blocker prevents the defender from rising from the ground.
(3) If the official has not seen the entire action that sends a defender to the ground, Offensive holding will not be called.

CWR

Reaction score
There are 11 players on defense. He can't be a special exception, even if he is a special player. You watch it like you normally watch it and if you see it, call it.

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT

(c) Uses his hands or arms to materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit. It is a foul regardless of whether
the blocker’s hands are inside or outside the frame of the defender’s body. Material restrictions include but are not limited to:
Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive holding will not be called:
(d) if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;
(h) if the action is part of a double team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either
(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position
that would normally be holding, unless and until the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.
(2) If a blocker falls on or pushes down a defender whose momentum is carrying him to the ground, Offensive holding will
not be called unless the blocker prevents the defender from rising from the ground.
(3) If the official has not seen the entire action that sends a defender to the ground, Offensive holding will not be called.
I disagree with that approach. You have a player who is off the charts with pass rush wins and have to know he's going to be held more often.

I do appreciate you sharing that information, although most of those are fairly negligible. The double team is definitely something to look out for, but most of his holds are after he has beat his man, hence the need to hold.

I realize it's not possible for an official to be perfect, but that doesn't lead me to cut them any slack. Doctors can't be perfect, mechanics, plumbers etc, can't be perfect. As a first responder I can't be perfect, unfortunately little else is acceptable imo. I expect everyone to do an outstanding job. These refs make a lot of great calls, but there are far too many missed. It needs to be fixed and the league can do so if they chose to.

For example in the game they called against us where they threw flags all night I can't believe they watched Adams slap Ferguson. It's as if they decided too many flags had already been thrown. I'm not saying we were victims by any means. I'm just looking at another inconsistent effort.

CWR

Reaction score

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT

Blocking Notes:
BTW, How do you weigh in on Schoons TD catch vs Philly they said was down on the 1 inch line?

I understood the call but the point has been made he was still "in the process" and crossed the goalline while doing so. Defender also got there early, but it was close, and I won't torch them for that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
BTW, How do you weigh in on Schoons TD catch vs Philly they said was down on the 1 inch line?

I understood the call but the point has been made he was still "in the process" and crossed the goalline while doing so. Defender also got there early, but it was close, and I won't torch them for that.
Where the ball is when your knee hits the ground with possession is how it's always been. Whether you're a runner that falls forward after your knee hits or a receiver that catches a ball and crumbles to the ground. Same is true of a fumble recovery when you scoop up a ball while on the ground but an opposing player's finger is on your shoe before you get up. That's consistent. No special "in the process" exemption needs to be made, IMO. Would only make things murky and people say they don't want that.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Where the ball is when your knee hits the ground with possession is how it's always been. Whether you're a runner that falls forward after your knee hits or a receiver that catches a ball and crumbles to the ground. Same is true of a fumble recovery when you scoop up a ball while on the ground but an opposing player's finger is on your shoe before you get up. That's consistent. No special "in the process" exemption needs to be made, IMO. Would only make things murky and people say they don't want that.
Thanks, agreed. The less complicated the better. Appreciate it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Defense has every right to complain. It's all geared for the offense these days.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Good gawd, stop complaining about the refs!

That's what losers do. Winners just win.
I don’t think he’s saying anything about winning and losing. He’s on record saying many times that this can lead to a major injury if it keeps going unchecked.

Redline360

Reaction score
Defense holds a special place as that is what I loved following growing up. I'm all about player safety but the game off football on the defensive side is down right atrocious. Absolutely no fun to watch or follow.... well to some extent.

Going to get more offensive friendly. Seems like a record is being broken every week or so nowadays. Why comparing past QBs, rbs, recivers and etc to today's players is laughable. Granted they may be faster bigger and stronger but the game is so heavily favored to the offense its why everyone says the game is soft now.

Why I could care less what QB breaks what record nowadays. Almost meaningless now

J-man

Reaction score
un****withable, cool but I want him to un****kingstopable

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT

Blocking Notes:
A lot of people do not know about these caveats, and the majority of times when fans cry "holding" they are usually wrong-- including myself.

But I will say, it's absolutely ridiculous that Micah has only drawn 2 holding penalties in 2023.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Just messing with him but funny that he said all that with that hoodie on lol

In all seriousness I hope this nudges the refs to make a call or two now that the spotlight is on it. Working the refs a bit.
Cowboys are going to get calls this week so the league can drum up drama with the NFCE race lol

shabazz

Reaction score
Micah shirt with the words " In Silence" is quite the ironic thing......he doesn't know the meaning of the word silence.

TJ Watt does though. He does his speaking on the field

The Natural

Reaction score
Micah shirt with the words " In Silence" is quite the ironic thing......he doesn't know the meaning of the word silence.

TJ Watt does though. He does his speaking on the field
"The NFL has something going against me, so I don't want to talk any more negatively toward them," Watt told reporters after Sunday's 24-10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals after he was asked about a play where he clearly thought he was held but no call was made. "I don't know what I did, but I'll leave it at that."

this was just days ago

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Does he have a weekly podcast saying dumb stuff every week or was he responding to a reporters pointed question about officiating?

Context is Important
Sorry bro but the context was exactly what you made it out to be. You said Watt knows silence and does his talking on the field. Not only was he also whining about the refs off the field but introduced an anti-Watt conspiracy into the mix which any Cowboys fan should find laughable since they claim the Steelers are ref darlings. Lol.

1942willys

Reaction score
Its the inconsistency that is so obvious
That is a mark of a bad system in place
both personnel and so called oversight
Though some of the rules are so complicated as to be wide open to that
frankly they need to burn it down and start over.
Get younger and more athletic refs; simplify the rules; and come down hard on any official that screws up too often
As regards getting people:
For one make it a full time job. IF the coaches and players are full time then the refs should be as well
make it a challenge:
"This is the toughest job in sports. are you good enough to do it?"