Micah Parsons scouting report. Sounds familiar

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If you think Parsons isnt the best linebacker in this class you need to re watch the tape. The guy single handedly took over against Memphis with 14 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 pass breakups, and a QB hit.

Tell me any linebacker in the draft that accomplished that in 1 game after 2 years of playing the position. LOL.
Collins did that and also had a game winning pick 6.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don’t know where the Jaylon character issues came from. The guy is class personified especially when he was at Notre Dame. Bucky said a few weeks ago the Parsons character issue are closer to Zeke off the field but he likes the spotlight similar to Jaylon on the field. Stop spreading false narratives.
Relax. :laugh:

Rayman70

Reaction score
I’m with you. Kid is a beast. Now the comparison to jaylon is circulating a lot which isn’t bad because jaylon coming out of college he was a top 5 player. Jaylon start regressing over time because of his injury. Parsons is fresh and I think would go top 4-5 if they had a combine and he played this past year.
yep.Thanks. Agree on that last sentence especially. Heck, he still may go top 5. Depends how the dominoes fall. I am a proponent this year of trading down for various reasons. One reason being we need alot of fresh blood. We need players, period. Mostly on the D. I say lets not hitch our wagon to just 1 or 2 good prospects ...lets go get a bunch of good prospects at linebacker, dline and in the secondary...and lets see what shakes out at camp. I happen to think the draft is better and deeper than most think defensively. I think we need to take the Jimmy Johnson draft approach and just draft several guys that play the same position and lets have healthy competition. NO ONE gets a free pass and ordained as the starter until camp is over. Open competition breeds winning.I want Parsons, and at least another linebacker...maybe a guy like Jack Sanborn from Wisconsin. He could be a late round steal. Tuf Borland from Wisconsin is another. We could take late round fliers on them. We are slated to possibly get 4 comp picks..so we will have the ammo to do so. We need at least 2 corners from this draft...including a safety. Richie Grant and the washington kid from TCU seem to be the best.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
yep.Thanks. Agree on that last sentence especially. Heck, he still may go top 5. Depends how the dominoes fall. I am a proponent this year of trading down for various reasons. One reason being we need alot of fresh blood. We need players, period. Mostly on the D. I say lets not hitch our wagon to just 1 or 2 good prospects ...lets go get a bunch of good prospects at linebacker, dline and in the secondary...and lets see what shakes out at camp. I happen to think the draft is better and deeper than most think defensively. I think we need to take the Jimmy Johnson draft approach and just draft several guys that play the same position and lets have healthy competition. NO ONE gets a free pass and ordained as the starter until camp is over. Open competition breeds winning.I want Parsons, and at least another linebacker...maybe a guy like Jack Sanborn from Wisconsin. He could be a late round steal. Tuf Borland from Wisconsin is another. We could take late round fliers on them. We are slated to possibly get 4 comp picks..so we will have the ammo to do so. We need at least 2 corners from this draft...including a safety. Richie Grant and the washington kid from TCU seem to be the best.
I’m with you again. This draft is very deep. I think because of the year had unfolded and gone people are Nervous because of opt outs and other factors. I’d love parsons but I think you’re on to something. He may go top 5 still we don’t know because the year is crazy and we don’t know how things will unfold because of the cap and obvious Covid opt outs. The extra picks will be huge. Definitely a comp for Byron in round 3 now there’s rumors we may get another 3 for Quinn but even if it’s a 4 it’s still big and have ammo to do work

Rayman70

Reaction score
I’m with you again. This draft is very deep. I think because of the year had unfolded and gone people are Nervous because of opt outs and other factors. I’d love parsons but I think you’re on to something. He may go top 5 still we don’t know because the year is crazy and we don’t know how things will unfold because of the cap and obvious Covid opt outs. The extra picks will be huge. Definitely a comp for Byron in round 3 now there’s rumors we may get another 3 for Quinn but even if it’s a 4 it’s still big and have ammo to do work
yessir, we will definitely have an opportunity to take advantage of that. As long as Jerrah is locked in the broom closet on draft day, we should be good to do some real draft day damage and come away with some good lunch pail picks that can help us.

Rayman70

Reaction score
what we need is to get back to being tough. We have too many pretty boys on D, When we were a thing back in the 90's, we had many unsung guys that did the dirty work under the radar. Guys like Chad Hennings, Tony Casillas, Jimmy Jones, Tony Tolbert, Bill Bates, Vinson Smith, Kevin Smith, and a guy no one mentions and its a shame...that is James Washington. That guy made plays at safety. He quietly did his job. These guys I just mentioned get overshadowed by the big names. Right now that is our problem...we are relying on the top tier guys but the problem is, number 1, they are not good enough right now on D. Secondly, they are soft..that is their mentality. Its sad. So, in closing, what we need to get back to is just drafting, finding good ball players that just wanna play. Guys that are passionate about football 24/7. Guys that want to get dirty and tackle.We lack this right now, except for a very small few. I would love to find guys that play like Donny Wilson at safety. We need to build around him, Gallimore, and Anae, Diggs. The jury is out on everyone else.Those are my cornerstones on D. Everyone else should be scrutinized heavily by Dan Quinn this offseason. I expect some big changes.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
yessir, we will definitely have an opportunity to take advantage of that. As long as Jerrah is locked in the broom closet on draft day, we should be good to do some real draft day damage and come away with some good lunch pail picks that can help us.
Fingers crossed this is a big offseason. We say it every year but still LOL

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I’ve been pimping Sanborn since last year. Agree that he could be a mid-round steal.

I don’t believe Borland has the athleticism to play in the league.

dwmyers

Reaction score
ahh...YEAH...Jaylon he aint. He's much better.

Actually Voch Lombardi looked at Parsons tape and declared him Jaylon Smith 2.0. Same weaknesses in positioning. Same reliance on an occasional super athletic play (the one he won't get in the pros).

Rayman70

Reaction score
Actually Voch Lombardi looked at Parsons tape and declared him Jaylon Smith 2.0. Same weaknesses in positioning. Same reliance on an occasional super athletic play (the one he won't get in the pros).
wow...he sounds like a project. I put alot of stock in what Voch says. Lets hope he is wrong this one time if we end up drafting this kid. He seems to have a mean streak to him...so that might be where he differs from Jaylon. That is a start at least. Jaylon is just too dang nice..its ridiculous..plus he is out of control.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would love to see Voch take a look at some other linebackers like Jack Sanborn and Tuf Borland to get his take. I really love their production in college. They play with a high FB IQ always where they should be and they finish.Those 2 linebackers are my late round pet cats that I want.

dwmyers

Reaction score
wow...he sounds like a project. I put alot of stock in what Voch says. Lets hope he is wrong this one time if we end up drafting this kid. He seems to have a mean streak to him...so that might be where he differs from Jaylon. That is a start at least. Jaylon is just too dang nice..its ridiculous..plus he is out of control.

Just to make sure folks here know context. This was in a show where Voch had Jeff Cavanaugh as a guest. It wasn't one where he shows 20 minutes of tape and proves his points. It was a
casual comment and they went on to talk about other possible draft candidates at #10.

And this has to be said (and it makes scouting so hard). Parsons may be Jaylon Smith like, but does he take to coaching and not repeat mistakes? The issue most CZers have is that Jaylon appears to be regressing from his 2018 peak. And it's not 100% clear if it's coaching or instincts.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Just to make sure folks here know context. This was in a show where Voch had Jeff Cavanaugh as a guest. It wasn't one where he shows 20 minutes of tape and proves his points. It was a
casual comment and they went on to talk about other possible draft candidates at #10.

And this has to be said (and it makes scouting so hard). Parsons may be Jaylon Smith like, but does he take to coaching and not repeat mistakes? The issue most CZers have is that Jaylon appears to be regressing from his 2018 peak. And it's not 100% clear if it's coaching or instincts.

Voch and Jeff are interesting to watch but they are basically casual fans like we are...I'm going to put a lot more stock into the guys that do this for a living and get paid to.

Jeff is also pretty annoying...you can tell he's trying to go against the grain a little too hard sometimes.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
what we need is to get back to being tough. We have too many pretty boys on D, When we were a thing back in the 90's, we had many unsung guys that did the dirty work under the radar. Guys like Chad Hennings, Tony Casillas, Jimmy Jones, Tony Tolbert, Bill Bates, Vinson Smith, Kevin Smith, and a guy no one mentions and its a shame...that is James Washington. That guy made plays at safety. He quietly did his job. These guys I just mentioned get overshadowed by the big names. Right now that is our problem...we are relying on the top tier guys but the problem is, number 1, they are not good enough right now on D. Secondly, they are soft..that is their mentality. Its sad. So, in closing, what we need to get back to is just drafting, finding good ball players that just wanna play. Guys that are passionate about football 24/7. Guys that want to get dirty and tackle.We lack this right now, except for a very small few. I would love to find guys that play like Donny Wilson at safety. We need to build around him, Gallimore, and Anae, Diggs. The jury is out on everyone else.Those are my cornerstones on D. Everyone else should be scrutinized heavily by Dan Quinn this offseason. I expect some big changes.
You get it

Rayman70

Reaction score
don't care about size and speed, height or measurables. It doesn't really matter in the end.What matters on defense is do guys know where to line up and what their job is? Do guys hunger to stop the ball carrier with a passion?Do they have good instincts? It matters. Do we have high FB IQ players on D? I think for the most part, we know that answer. That has to change. Give me a bunch of high FB IQ coachable players that just love their job that want to win at all costs, I will show you a true team that is at least in the hunt at playoff time. We may not be the most sexy on D, but at least we might be gritty. Right now we sorely lack this, outside of the few I outlined already in another post.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
good..I WANT guys on my defense that might have character issues. lol..we already have too many "good community" types that are so milk toast its nuts. We need that bad *** fringe nutcase that also has a high fb IQ...controlled chaos. I am tired of the "school boy" types on D...or the Garrett RKG players. We need some mean SOBS on the D. Parsons is what the doctor ordered. Quinn will love this guy.

We already have enough LBs who miss games and can't or won't stack and shed as well. No thanks for me.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Plus you have that whole minor detail of not suffering a permanent injury to his knee that leaves him essentially playing on one leg.

But other than that....
Jaylon’s problem isn’t that he’s playing on o e good leg - he’s playing with half a brain.