CFZ Micah Parsons: The NFL’s Defensive “Shape Shifter”

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Cowboys fans all know how great Micah Parsons is. But I thought it would be interesting to look at how great he is in context of his ability to play effectively in every area of what the defense must do. In that sense he’s a “shape shifter”.

Here are just a few of his current impressive statistical numbers through 11 games:
  • Is 2nd in the league in sacks with 12.
  • Tied for 4th in Tackles for Loss (TFL) with 13.
  • Tied for 2nd in forced fumbles with 3.
But what makes Micah Parsons’ greatness stand out is not just a stat. It’s his ability to be a true defensive “shape shifter”; a hybrid of talent that can handle all 3 aspects of defense- pass rush, tackling, and pass coverage. He excels in all three.

Parsons can be the game’s best pass rusher, then shift into the best coverage LB in the league. (Parsons routinely covers RBs, TEs and occasionally a WR), and we have seen his incredible speed as he runs down a player and tackles him from behind after rushing the passer. He can rush the passer, tackle, and provide pass coverage, all at a very high level.

Dan Quinn said a few months back that Micah Parsons is the only NFL defensive player he’s ever seen or coached that could play any position on defense.

Which made me think- the only player I’ve seen in NFL history with the ability to do anything on defense he wanted is Lawrence Taylor. If Micah takes care of himself and can stay healthy, he’s not only headed to Canton, he has the ability to surpass even LT as the greatest defensive player to ever lace em up.

This is greatness that comes along rarely.

I hope he continues to stay healthy but Canton? Trending, yes but LT added a ring which IMO makes induction a whole lot sweeter!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Settle down! Let's not say GOAT just yet.
Best player on the team since the triplets, really Emmit Smith. The last time as a fan I could say we have the best player in the league or at a certain position.
I know he is a hard worker, but i want him to add more pass rush moves, he is right now winning on speed and strength. Eventually he will not be the fastest LB in the league
Are we ready to say Parsons is greater than Von Miller?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys fans all know how great Micah Parsons is. But I thought it would be interesting to look at how great he is in context of his ability to play effectively in every area of what the defense must do. In that sense he’s a “shape shifter”.

Here are just a few of his current impressive statistical numbers through 11 games:
But what makes Micah Parsons’ greatness stand out is not just a stat. It’s his ability to be a true defensive “shape shifter”; a hybrid of talent that can handle all 3 aspects of defense- pass rush, tackling, and pass coverage. He excels in all three.

Parsons can be the game’s best pass rusher, then shift into the best coverage LB in the league. (Parsons routinely covers RBs, TEs and occasionally a WR), and we have seen his incredible speed as he runs down a player and tackles him from behind after rushing the passer. He can rush the passer, tackle, and provide pass coverage, all at a very high level.

Dan Quinn said a few months back that Micah Parsons is the only NFL defensive player he’s ever seen or coached that could play any position on defense.

Which made me think- the only player I’ve seen in NFL history with the ability to do anything on defense he wanted is Lawrence Taylor. If Micah takes care of himself and can stay healthy, he’s not only headed to Canton, he has the ability to surpass even LT as the greatest defensive player to ever lace em up.

And to think we thought he was a consolation prize. And actually took a risk trading down....Giants could have crossed us and took parsons.....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what's also true about "the lyin" according to the 2022 season.

If you go into a game asking Micah just to pressure the QB and get you one sack he will fail you every time.

I like reliable players. Vote Damone Clark for shape shifter.

GRCowboy

Reaction score
Right . That would explain him being limited on plays. But only being effective in the passing game is my concern.

If teams only need to run the ball on us to avoid the pressure then I’d argue Parsons needs to impact stopping the run in that case. That’s where the one dimensional comes in.
There's a good reason we stopped putting Parsons on the field on most 1st downs unless it's late in the game, we're ahead and the run is out of the question.

In the run game, with Parsons off the field... that's where we need our base Edges (Lawrence, Armstrong, Fowler, Williams etc) and ILBs (Clark, Cox, etc) to step up and stop the run as well as the DEs (Odighizuwa, Gallimore, Golston, sometimes Tank moves inside to DE) and NTs (Hankins, Bohanna, Watkins) to stuff them quickly.

We need to run more 3-4 base on run downs including first and 10. Base nickel is bad against the run and base dime will get you gashed every time. Why pass at all against nickel on first and 10?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Yes indeed MP is the shape shifter.
When I watch him come around the edge, he contorts his body, gets low with balance and directs his energy towards the QB on a str8 line.
If that is a shape shifter than Im glad we have one.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And to think we thought he was a consolation prize. And actually took a risk trading down....Giants could have crossed us and took parsons.....

Parsons (12th) is like Ray Lewis (26th), Ed Reed (24th), Randy Moss (21st) and Dan Marino (27th).

Teams knew they were good but weren't convinced of their greatness. Otherwise, they wouldn't have let them drop in the first round.

If the Giants knew he would be THAT good, they wouldn't have passed him up. Truth be told, we wouldn't have passed him up on the first go-around either.

It all worked out the way it was supposed to.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we ready to say Parsons is greater than Von Miller?
He can do more things than Von Miller. But he isn’t as accomplished yet with honors and playoff wins. Am I saying Parsons is more talented and capable of doing more than Miller? Absolutely yes. Accomplished as much? No. Not yet.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, but that’s when he’s rushing the passer making tackles in the backfield.

I didn’t mean he’s one dimensional but more one dimensional. Didn’t LT make plays beyond the LOS.

I just think we can appreciate and celebrate him without these comparisons and anointments . Let’s see how he impacts the games when the season is on the line. That will be the ultimate barometer.

Does he look like he could be that guy. Yes.
Actually none of those TFLs are on pass plays. By definition a TFL stat can only happen on a running play.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Settle down! Let's not say GOAT just yet.
Best player on the team since the triplets, really Emmit Smith. The last time as a fan I could say we have the best player in the league or at a certain position.
I know he is a hard worker, but i want him to add more pass rush moves, he is right now winning on speed and strength. Eventually he will not be the fastest LB in the league
I don’t believe I said GOAT. I do believe he has the talent to be that but obviously he’s not there yet. But it’s not a stretch to say if he stays healthy and committed, he has the talent to challenge LT’s greatness. He’s obviously not there yet.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LT couldn't play man coverage vs #1 WRs on deep routes.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Parsons is only a good pass rusher. Every thing else is hype.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Woody was similar in his position flex. Those guys make a defense go.

Cowboys4lifeGR

Reaction score

Great post like always sir. Greets from sunny GR.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually none of those TFLs are on pass plays. By definition a TFL stat can only happen on a running play.
Yes, but if he’s making tackle for losses isn’t that behind the LOS while he’s rushing the passer . Or is that when he’s dropped back actually playing more of a LB than lining up as DE. I’m not sure and why I’m asking .

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Not sure about that. I haven't looked it up to see if it's in the rules but this Tweeter gets a lot of play around here and counts TFLs on pass plays as well as sacks in addition to run stuffs.